Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
2016 Civic EX-T WOP Sedan
Still impressed how good this cars performance is for a 1.5L. Anyways

Here's a list of the cars I've beaten:

BMW 328 coupe (maybe 2012?)
2011 BMW X3
2016 Ford Focus
Fiat 500 Abarth (looked very new, surprised how close it was)
2016 Toyota Corolla s (idk why i even did it)
2015 Civic si
2011 Civic si sedan(with mods)
Mid 2000s VW GTI Golf
2013 Scion FR-S (maybe he can't drive)
2010ish Mini Cooper S
Late 2000s Dodge Hemi truck
Early 2000s Mustang v6 (manual)
Mid 2000s Infiniti g35 sedan
2013 Altima 2.5s
2013-2015 Accord sport
Mercedes c300 (not sure the year)
2002 Acura Rsx-s
2003 Acura TL-s
2006 Dodge Charger v6

And here's a list of cars I've lost to:

Newer Dodge Challenger
Mid - Late 2000s BMW 335i sedan (maybe 08ish)
2013 Camaro v6
2015 Nissan 370z
2003 Nissan 350z
Evo X
2013-2015 Audi A5

All in all I've been pretty surprised by some of the cars I've beaten. The 328 victory felt good we ran it twice, the fr-s was definitely manual but he probably just can't drive. And obviously all the cars I've lost to are just out of our class.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Browncoat3000

Red 5 standing by
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si, Odyssey EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Nice. Which A5?

I took an A5 2.0T convertable. Guy got cocky when he saw the Civic badge. He came off the line a bit quicker, but Lara easily schooled the Audi.

The look of utter shock on that guy's face was priceless. Since then I've added the Turbo warning badges on 3 sides. :thumbsup:

Can't wait to see what the manual versions can do.

OP
OP

alika94

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Might've been a 2015 a5 coupe. They're torquey but pretty heavy as well he only got me by half a car.

Nice man, I know it must hurt these german owners knowing their $40,000+ car lost to a civic lmao. The look on the 328 guy's face was priceless, took him twice.

Where you get the badges from?

DarkLight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic-2016 LX 6MT
Country flag
Just get either KTunerFlash or Hondata reflash and you would have beaten everything except probably the evo and 370, that thing is a heavy beast.

OP
OP

alika94

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Just get either KTunerFlash or Hondata reflash and you would have beaten everything except probably the evo and 370, that thing is a heavy beast.
You got it on yours? How much?

Lukcas02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civicx Coupe
Lol. You are right about the 370 being heavy and beastly. I had a 2013 and before I got my Civic, I had CivicX owners try to beat me off the line but they never even came close. The Civic is a nice platform to mod though so I'm just waiting for mods to flood the market.

carlson03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2017 EXL Pilot AWD Sensing
You beat a civic si? I thought they were faster?? I notice you didn't race a 2016 v6 Accord :)

Browncoat3000

Red 5 standing by
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si, Odyssey EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Might've been a 2015 a5 coupe. They're torquey but pretty heavy as well he only got me by half a car.

Nice man, I know it must hurt these german owners knowing their $40,000+ car lost to a civic lmao. The look on the 328 guy's face was priceless, took him twice.

Where you get the badges from?
Right here on the Fourm:

http://www.civicx.com/threads/where-to-get-the-turbo-decal-seen-in-canadian-models.1403/

Plenty of pictures of them, check out my garage to see what Lara's look like.

Browncoat3000

Red 5 standing by
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si, Odyssey EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You beat a civic si? I thought they were faster?? I notice you didn't race a 2016 v6 Accord :)
Check out Hondata's YouTube page, the stock Touring beats the 9th Gen Si easily even before being flashed. Post flash it's not even close.

slowride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PMM Type-R
Country flag
Check out Hondata's YouTube page, the stock Touring beats the 9th Gen Si easily even before being flashed. Post flash it's not even close.
I'm sorry, but I have driven both cars and there is no way this is realistic. That 9th gen was short shifted at a minimum and marketing is a wonderful thing.

Browncoat3000

Red 5 standing by
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si, Odyssey EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Not my video, but the 1/8 mile times seem to track with Honda's numbers.

Since Hondata sells Si mods, I'm not sure what they have to gain from tearing down the Si in favor of the X.

I suspect that the difference is the lag of the manual transmission vs. the continuous power of the CVT. Top Gear did a segment on power-shifters vs. full manual. The power shifters have a clear advantage over the manual, even though the cars in the test should have been virtually identical.

DarkLight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic-2016 LX 6MT
Country flag
I suspect that the difference is the lag of the manual transmission vs. the continuous power of the CVT. Top Gear did a segment on power-shifters vs. full manual. The power shifters have a clear advantage over the manual, even though the cars in the test should have been virtually identical.
What? There will be zero lag on a naturally aspirated motor equipped w/ an MT, whereas the 1.5T CVT will have to gear itself down and get the turbo to spool since it is programmed for fuel economy and will keep the revs as low as possible, without 100% throttle input.

Example: if I am in the 9th gen Si, and you are in the 1.5, and we both go WOT at the same time, from a roll, I will have the jump, provided that I am in the correct gear, since I don't have to wait for peak boost to build or the lag from the CVT. The only way that you would pull on me would be if I was in too high of a gear, below torque peak and outside of the powerband.

Theoretically though, the CVT would be faster, provided that it holds the engine at peak hp under all conditions, and never allows the rpms to drop below peak. Of course, theory and reality are two different things, and Honda's economy-tuned CVT transmissions do not behave that way.

After driving one myself, I suspect that there is a torque limiter programmed into the ECU, since I attempted to brake boost an EX-T during a test drive, but it only cut rpm's, rather than build boost, so don't know how Hondata got their results, excepting driver error.

Browncoat3000

Red 5 standing by
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si, Odyssey EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
In the manual-vs-power shift test, the point was that it takes SIGNIFICANTLY more time to cycle the clutch and gear manually as opposed to the almost instantaneous shifting of the paddle shifters. That time is time not spent accelerating, and in 4 theoretically evenly matched cars, the 3 paddle cars easily beat the manual.

Applying that to our case, the CVT essentially acts as an infinite number of gears, so there is no shift lag at all. That may have spelled the difference in this case. Notice the Si does leap off the line quicker, but once the X catches it's all over. The Si visibly sags when shifting both on the track and on the lake.

There is another possibility. I don't know where Hondata did their testing. If it is the high desert of California, then the X has a decided advantage that no amount of skill can over-come. This is because a turbo will allow near sea-level engine power at the higher elevation while the normally aspirated VTEC cannot compensate for the lower air density.

On a warm day at 2300ft (Edwards AFB elevation) the VTEC would perform like it's in Denver on a cool day, while the X would still perform like its at sea-level in Pomona.

DarkLight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic-2016 LX 6MT
Country flag
There's not supposed to be any lag, but I definitely noticed it in the EX-T that I drove in January. What I noticed was that when I would lift off the throttle at high rpm's and brake suddenly, the car was still "surging" forward, i.e. no engine braking for about .5 seconds before the CVT would alter its gearing. Same thing in D and S mode, at sudden WOT when the rpm's were below roughly 3K, there would be a half second hesitation. That didn't seem to happen in L mode though. Maybe I was just driving a lemon.

My theory is that this occurred not because of the transmission, but because Honda is so conservative with their programming of the transmission, they don't want a sudden torque spike to damage the belt or pulleys. However, this was the reason that I bought the 2.0. I could not live with that lack of responsiveness.

Another reason why the Si probably lost was due to the chassis. The 10th gen is about 250 lbs. lighter, is more aerodynamic, and has better suspension geometry. And, as you said, turbo will maintain engine power at high altitude.

Still, the Si should have won, IMO, so I'm still thinking it was driver error.

Reactions: 18k

Browncoat3000

Red 5 standing by
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si, Odyssey EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I understand what you are saying, but I think you misunderstand what I am saying. The lag isn't in the engine, it's in the transmission.

When you shift, you press the clutch, shift the lever, and let out the clutch. For a fraction of a second, the engine is not delivering any power to the wheels while the clutch is in. That is the lag I was referring to. If there are 6 gears, and let's say it takes half a second to shift, that's 2.5 seconds where the engine is not delivering any effective power. A Si transmission may shift faster, but I doubt you could do it in less that .25 of a second. I don't know, the last stick I drove was a Chevette, which took about 3 years to shift.

A power-shift can change gears in a fraction of the time. A CVT doesn't need to change at all.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.