CarAndDriver Article on Honda Dealers "showing restraint" in regards to Type R markups

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
An interesting article I found on CarAndDriver. Supposedly, they say that most Honda dealers are "showing restraint" in charging more than MSRP for the Type R.

http://blog.caranddriver.com/honda-dealers-mostly-show-restraint-marking-up-the-civic-type-r/

From what I've read on these forums... that doesn't seem to be quite the case, and I'm sure many of you would disagree with CarAndDriver;).

Thoughts?

------------------------------------------------------------

UPDATE: Looks like some of your guys' comments may have helped them see the truth about the insane dealership markup!

http://blog.caranddriver.com/honda-dealers-are-more-evil-than-we-knew-type-r-markups-are-hidden/
Sponsored

Last edited:

jefxfree

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type R, EK hatch
Country flag

NorcalCTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type R #3855, 2007 Honda Civic Si, 2001 Honda Civic EX (Sold)
Country flag
I'm not seeing any "restraint" from my side. My Livermore dealership is asking for $59K on a red CTR. ADM is 20K and the rest is for the extended warranty. The salesman told me that a customer came in and was willing to pay a 10K markup, but was turned away. The car is still sitting in the showroom with no buyers.

qt_pSidon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru WRX
The way they are getting their MSRP data is through cars.com and such and those dealers are just click bait advertisement. They list the MSRP but if you call or go in, they will tell you the real price, some dealers I have called because of seeing MSRP told me to come in and discuss pricing.

Chad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Country flag
Restraint? I guess they could be asking $60k

Honda Civic 10th gen CarAndDriver Article on Honda Dealers "showing restraint" in regards to Type R markups IMG_20170707_114436042

OldPirate

Old Pirate
First Name
Angelo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Focus ST, Hyundia something like that....
An interesting article I found on CarAndDriver. Supposedly, they say that most Honda dealers are "showing restraint" in charging more than MSRP for the Type R.

http://blog.caranddriver.com/honda-dealers-mostly-show-restraint-marking-up-the-civic-type-r/

From what I've read on these forums... that doesn't seem to be quite the case, and I'm sure many of you would disagree with CarAndDriver;).

Thoughts?
They must be in Colorado getting some weed and smoking it while they were on the net checking prices.

b18brat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 Mugen Si
Country flag
Just replied to that Car and Driver blog post. Gillman Honda in San Antonio has an Aegean Blue for $58,251. I don't think the blogger who posted that made even one phone call to a Honda dealer. SMH

OP
OP
Zeffy94

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Just replied to that Car and Driver blog post. Gillman Honda in San Antonio has an Aegean Blue for $58,251. I don't think the blogger who posted that made even one phone call to a Honda dealer. SMH
Maybe someone should link them to the 'Naughty Dealers' thread on here so they themselves can see the truth. :flame:

On a side note... $58K? I think I'd just go buy a Cayman or an M2 if I was willing to spend that much on a Civic... only an extremely well designed Acura would be (possibly) the only Honda product worth that much money.

cal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR soon...
Country flag
I'm not seeing any "restraint" from my side. My Livermore dealership is asking for $59K on a red CTR. ADM is 20K and the rest is for the extended warranty. The salesman told me that a customer came in and was willing to pay a 10K markup, but was turned away. The car is still sitting in the showroom with no buyers.
LOL, they told me the same thing. A salesman there told me that they had buyers offering 10k ADM way before their CTR arrived, but they were all turned down since it was going to be marked 20k ADM.

SpraykwoN

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Acura ILX A-Spec and looking for a Civic Type-R
Country flag
Called Diamond Honda here in SoCal, and they sold a Red one for apparently MSRP + $20K markup. They told me they were getting another one and it will also have a $20K markup. I laughed and asked why? They said the car is in such high demand and super rare. Ended up hanging up on the dude lol.

Called my buddy who is a Fleet Manager at a Dealership in the Valley, and they sold their Blue one for MSRP + $20K markup. He laughed and said it ain't worth it at that price point. Suggested I wait it out because prices will eventually drop.

OP
OP
Zeffy94

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag