Car possessed (sometimes), door does not open with fob

HUBBA_BUBBA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic EX-T
Hi folks, new member here looking for advice before I cave and head to the dealership. I tried calling Honda but they had never heard of this issue so weren't able to help.

Here's the deal. I've had the car (EX-T) for two months and this has happened twice. I park the car and, forgive my poor memory, but on one occasion definitely opened the trunk (not sure about the other time). When I closed the trunk (or on the other occasion, maybe as I started to walk away after closing my door), I notice the orange parking lights had mysteriously turned on . I then try to reopen the drivers door but it won't open, uh-oh, I'm locked out of my car. Oh wait, I have the hide a key built into my fob. So I pull that out and use it to open the door and -HONK HONK HONK-the alarm goes off.

The first time it happened I thought I must have hit a combination of buttons on the fob and activated some alarm setting. The second time the key was definitely not smooshed so I know that no buttons were pushed.

Thanks for reading, and extra thanks for any suggestions!
Sponsored

Clear

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T Sedan
Sorry, been a long day so I'm not quite sure I'm following you, but by orange parking lights turning on, do you mean the hazards doing a flash? If so, it's normal for them to do that when you close the trunk; it locks the trunk and I think locks the car as well. It may be that you've stumbled into a unforeseen tech glitch where, after shutting closing the trunk, the FOB/car FOB reader still thinks the car is unlocked so it doesn't unlock it. Then again, I don't know too much about cars (I'm in IT) and I'm pretty sleepy, so I could have totally misunderstood and could be way off with my thinking!

OP
OP

HUBBA_BUBBA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic EX-T
Sorry, been a long day so I'm not quite sure I'm following you, but by orange parking lights turning on, do you mean the hazards doing a flash? If so, it's normal for them to do that when you close the trunk; it locks the trunk and I think locks the car as well. It may be that you've stumbled into a unforeseen tech glitch where, after shutting closing the trunk, the FOB/car FOB reader still thinks the car is unlocked so it doesn't unlock it. Then again, I don't know too much about cars (I'm in IT) and I'm pretty sleepy, so I could have totally misunderstood and could be way off with my thinking!
Hey Clear, thanks for responding. So as far as the lights go, it's not a flash rather at some point after I exit the car they just turn on and stay on. That seems to be some indication that it is now in 'fob will not work' mode. I'm with you on the possibility of a tech glitch where the car thinks it's unlocked, but not sure why the alarm goes off when I use the key to unlock the door....

maxboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring NBP
I have an exact situation once in a indoor garage.

I too opened the trunk.
1. I walk up to the car, open the trunk then close it (the door remain locked)
2. I walk up to the car, put the hand on the handle, no "beep" sound, all amber light are solid on. (the car looks really mean by then)

Can't open anything, even the trunk. Car was not responding to the remote.

So i pull the key and turn open the door, alarm went off, but the car now response to the remote and turn off the alarm.

OP
OP

HUBBA_BUBBA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic EX-T
I have an exact situation once in a indoor garage.

I too opened the trunk.
1. I walk up to the car, open the trunk then close it (the door remain locked)
2. I walk up to the car, put the hand on the handle, no "beep" sound, all amber light are solid on. (the car looks really mean by then)

Can't open anything, even the trunk. Car was not responding to the remote.

So i pull the key and turn open the door, alarm went off, but the car now response to the remote and turn off the alarm.
That's it, and in a parking garage too. Maybe that's a contributing factor.

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Sedan Touring, '18 CR-V Touring AWD
Country flag
There is another thread on this that ran for a long time. it seems there is some scenario that gets it in this state. i think people were using the mechanical key to workaround.

PittGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Sedan Touring
Country flag
Happened to me last week, also in a garage. Used the mechanical key to open car, but no alarm.

nicoled985

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-L Sedan
Country flag
happened to me yesterday but I was not in a parking garage. and I opened the trunk first