CAI or Short Ram?

inv4zn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Country flag
There is no "better". They both have their pros/cons, and their actual gains are questionable as well, especially if everything else you have is stock.

CAI will give you more hp/tq at higher RPMs, but you risk hyrdolock because the air filter is by your wheel.
SRI will give you lower end gains (minimally), but you risk heatsoak because the air filter is right at the hottest point of your engine.

Both will sound cool, if that's what you're after.

inv4zn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Country flag
Youtube "2016 civic intake" and you'll have sound clips of both. FWIW, in my old V6 Accord, the CAI sounded nicer, but that's subjective.

Also, everyone knows that Short Ram Intakes all voted for Trump.

sniper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Coupe Touring
Country flag
Youtube "2016 civic intake" and you'll have sound clips of both. FWIW, in my old V6 Accord, the CAI sounded nicer, but that's subjective.

Also, everyone knows that Short Ram Intakes all voted for Trump.
Too bad us Canadians can't get CAI. Are you running stock still?

hfpdohc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hatch 2017 M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
here the sound of a short ram intake...you here the spool and the recirculate valve

Dredogol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback
There are some interesting things to consider, and this holds true for most stock vehicles.

1) Car companies are taking into considerations how to best optimize MPG.
Most of the time, if you add performance intakes, you lose HP/Torque at lower cruising speeds.
Stock intakes are more restrictive and optimized to increase performance at low RPMs / cursing speeds.
You'll mostly see gains with aftermarket intakes if you are at higher RPMs.
So... the main question is... will you be doing more daily driving... or more track runs with your care, and could car less for your MPG?

2) Is this a N/A or Turbo Civic?
If Turbo, you'll probably get more HP/Torque benefits from a better performance intercooler (liquid is best) instead of CAI vs SRAM.
Unless you are cranking out 500+ HP, I really don't think CAI vs SRAM will make much of a difference.

There are several videos out there that try to test this on the Dyno.
Might Car Mods has an interesting video on this topic.
Also, most dyno testing will show more of a difference between the two intakes when the HP is much higher

3) Exhaust mods might be better.
Depending on what type of intake mods you plan on doing, and what type of TUNE you do... exhaust mods might give more gains.
Cat back does little... you'll need to mod the exhaust manifold and Cat to get the most performance gains.

4) Combine everything
If you want maximum gains, you'll need to do all 3 mods (intake + exhaust + tune)... and don't forget to tune, because this will mess up performance since the intake pressure / engine back pressure are different and will mess up your engine timings.

Honestly, and I've been thinking this for myself as well, if you want the best BANG for your BUCK... just do a Hondata +6 PSI Flash.
The overall gains is WAY more than all the mechanical mods combined.
If you want maximum gains possible with stock turbo + stock CVT... you really can't do much.

Now... if you plan on swapping out your CVT and Turbo... then go all out.

Last edited:

hfpdohc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hatch 2017 M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
There are some interesting things to consider, and this holds true for most stock vehicles.

1) Car companies are taking into considerations how to best optimize MPG.
Most of the time, if you add performance intakes, you lose HP/Torque at lower cruising speeds.
Stock intakes are more restrictive and optimized to increase performance at low RPMs / cursing speeds.
You'll mostly see gains with aftermarket intakes if you are at higher RPMs.
So... the main question is... will you be doing more daily driving... or more track runs with your care, and could car less for your MPG?

2) Is this a N/A or Turbo Civic?
If Turbo, you'll probably get more HP/Torque benefits from a better performance intercooler (liquid is best) instead of CAI vs SRAM.
Unless you are cranking out 500+ HP, I really don't think CAI vs SRAM will make much of a difference.

There are several videos out there that try to test this on the Dyno.
Might Car Mods has an interesting video on this topic.
Also, most dyno testing will show more of a difference between the two intakes when the HP is much higher

3) Exhaust mods might be better.
Depending on what type of intake mods you plan on doing, and what type of TUNE you do... exhaust mods might give more gains.
Cat back does little... you'll need to mod the exhaust manifold and Cat to get the most performance gains.

4) Combine everything
If you want maximum gains, you'll need to do all 3 mods (intake + exhaust + tune)... and don't forget to tune, because this will mess up performance since the intake pressure / engine back pressure are different and will mess up your engine timings.

Honestly, and I've been thinking this for myself as well, if you want the best BANG for your BUCK... just do a Hondata +6 PSI Flash.
The overall gains is WAY more than all the mechanical mods combined.
If you want maximum gains possible with stock turbo + stock CVT... you really can't do much.

Now... if you plan on swapping out your CVT and Turbo... then go all out.
the intake without a tune is only for more turbo sound......and as for mpg its the same..........maybe 1-3hp and torque max.......but like i said its way more fun to hear your turbo spool than stock sound.....IMO.....hondata next year on the program!

sniper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Coupe Touring
Country flag
How much does a flash usually run? If I buy the tool (IIRC, $600+), can I use on multiple cars?