Buyer's Guide: Should I Buy an Si or Type R?

corbygray528

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CR-Z
Country flag
Definitely hoping for CarPlay and Sensing Combo on the CTR, but if they decide to do away with it, I don't think I would be devastated. Also wondering if there will be trim options and if so, between CAD/US if they'll differ like the standard hatch models.

I don't know if its just me or others feel this way, but every car I've ever been adamant about having a sun/moonroof on it, has been opened a total of one or two times over a 10 year ownership period. Guess I learned my lesson :)
I don't actually open my sun/moonroof often, but I have the shade pulled back all the time to let light into the car. It just opens up the space a bit and makes it feel nicer to me. The air in Alabama is too hot and humid for 70% of the year to actually enjoy having it open lol
Sponsored

unhappymeal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 ATS 2.0T
Definitely hoping for CarPlay and Sensing Combo on the CTR, but if they decide to do away with it, I don't think I would be devastated. Also wondering if there will be trim options and if so, between CAD/US if they'll differ like the standard hatch models.

I don't know if its just me or others feel this way, but every car I've ever been adamant about having a sun/moonroof on it, has been opened a total of one or two times over a 10 year ownership period. Guess I learned my lesson :)
I used to swear by a sunroof, but find myself in the same position. This summer has been abnormally hot in Ontario and so I haven't even bothered to move the sun shade back to let light in. I would happily give up the sunroof for more head room.

OP
OP

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
I had the sunroof on my 00 Si and miss it. But I live in an area where 80% of the days have favorable weather.

Driving around in the Mazdaspeed3 is what I imagine the CTR will be. Quick, capable and reasonably practical. This car rips with a tune and basic bolt-ons. But 330 HP on FWD is impractical just about everywhere except on the hwy or track. I'm ready for something a bit more conservative/efficient.

Fazzster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord 2.0T Sport Manual, 2020 Odyssey EX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
CTR for me......I got my license in 1986 and have been a Honda man ever since. The Type R is something I waited my whole life for. Some aspire to a Porsche 911. I a Civic Type R. I just purchased a new LX coupe as either a stop gap measure or I will use it as my daily and get a CTR as a 2nd car, keep it off the roads for the winter, and keep it forever. I will also wait a few years until the hype dies down and dealers will be willing to negotiate off MSRP.

J35W2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'00 supercharged Civic Si (sold), '06 Civic Si (sold) , '14 V6-6MT Accord Coupe (sold), '17 CTR #1637, '18 Civic LX Hatch
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
This was like reading my own post! I too had an 00 si and still have my 8th gen Mugen. I love driving the car everyday, but no chance I'm missing out on an R....

On a side note; I have a friend who also traded an 8th gen si for a similar Accord and too regretted it.
Hey Eddie, are you 'Poljana' over at VTEC.NET? I have a sneaky suspicion based on your responses and your garage. We started up over there around 2005 when the '06 concept was revealed. I'm '06NASi over there.

Eddie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R 2014 Pilot 08 Mugen Si
Country flag
Hey Eddie, are you 'Poljana' over at VTEC.NET? I have a sneaky suspicion based on your responses and your garage. We started up over there around 2005 when the '06 concept was revealed. I'm '06NASi over there.
LOL I am! I remember ya too bud!

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Aiming for 400whp out of the TypeR.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Black CTR #4071, 16 MDX Tech
Country flag
This was like reading my own post! I too had an 00 si and still have my 8th gen Mugen. I love driving the car everyday, but no chance I'm missing out on an R....

On a side note; I have a friend who also traded an 8th gen si for a similar Accord and too regretted it.
I also had a 99 Si and an 09 Si. Both were unique and uniquely fun. The 99 was turbo but not tuned so it only ran a 14.2 at 99. Haven't run the 09 yet.
STill have the 09 until TypeR. I'm hoping to line up a buyer in the next few months-

limitedslip

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 Si coupe, 13 Si coupe, 10 Si Coupe
I also had a 99 Si and an 09 Si. Both were unique and uniquely fun. The 99 was turbo but not tuned so it only ran a 14.2 at 99. Haven't run the 09 yet.
STill have the 09 until TypeR. I'm hoping to line up a buyer in the next few months-
the 8th Gen Si was like "the last of the SummerWine" a vintage that will become a classic ... in fact we (the collective auto enthusiast) will NEVER see this
class and type of motor built again!
- a genuine performance package with a 2.0L 8k+ red-liner that Ferrari would've been proud of
- a chassis that was the class of the field out of the box period ... (for reference - i have driven: Euro Golf GTI / Scirocco R / Focus ST (old and new) / Renault Sport Cup / Peugeot GTI / Euro Civic Type R FN / Audi A3)
- One Japanese tester said upon driving a mildly tweeked FG coupe in japan "it's chassis is sport oriented and close to the S2000 in nature"
- the 06-07my had the stiffer rear setup (my '10 is a lil bouncy at the rear!)
- it punched far above its weight in the various Touring class racing series ... including beating ST's / GTI's / Boxters / caymans ...
:drive:

Browncoat3000

Red 5 standing by
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si, Odyssey EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
For me, I just don't have enough information yet. I've always liked the Si, but the one we've seen I find really underwhelming in appearance. The CTR has that edge, but I really want to see it without the gift-wraping on it, unless they are going to offer that as a factory option, then I'm on board.

Once the numbers come out, I'll have to decide which one is going to give me the most smiles-per-mile for the given price. If the Si comes out in the 5.5 range (as I think it will), and is significantly less than the CTR, (I'm thinking around 10K) it may win, especially if I can give it an edgier wing and a better color than the boring Everyone-Else-Has-This-Same-Shade Red the LA car has.

mc1200s

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 ext
Country flag
People don't purchase a Si to modify it.

Do you want a fun car or a race car?

That's the difference.

OP
OP

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
The average mod rate is around 25% once these cars get handed down to 2nd and 3rd owners. About 10% when new.

The statement, "Most don't buy a brand new car with the intent to mod," is mostly accurate. But don't take my word for it. Talk to reputable tuners in your area.

MickeyDubs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Golf R
The average mod rate is around 25% once these cars get handed down to 2nd and 3rd owners. About 10% when new.

The statement, "Most don't buy a brand new car with the intent to mod," is mostly accurate. But don't take my word for it. Talk to reputable tuners in your area.
I'm pretty ok with this ideology... However, not relevant to me at all ^_^
Sponsored