Buyer's Guide: Should I Buy an Si or Type R?

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
Admit it. We need this thread. Add your thoughts as you see fit. Here we go...

Premise: With the Civic Si and Civic Type R both months away from launch, it's time to consider which will be right for you. Most here have made up their mind. So let this serve as a reminder that there is no right or wrong answer as to which car is best. Only which car best serves your needs.

Civic Si

What: Moderate performance boost while retaining a majority of the base Civic's practicality and fuel economy. Seating, braking, suspension, wheels & tires, and drivetrain will be engineered for spirited street use. Seating, NVH and suspension will be more tolerable for daily use over the CTR, but less tolerable over the Touring.

Who: Enthusiasts wanting a fun & practical performer without breaking the bank.

Other considerations: WRX, Focus ST, Golf GTI

Civic Type R

What: All-out FWD performance. Suspension, chassis, braking, seating, and drivetrain engineered for moderate track use. Capable of daily duty despite increased NVH, harsher damping characteristics, and lack of some interior creature comforts.

Who: Enthusiasts wanting all-around performance with enough practicality for light street use.

Other considerations: WRX STi, Focus RS, Golf R, Evolution FE (while supplies last)

FAQ

Q: Why do people choose an Si only to modify it? Shouldn't they just buy a Type R?
A: Depends on the end game. If the sole concern is highway assaults or stoplight-to-stoplight performance, the CTR may not be "intended" for you.

Q: Why would people pay 5-10K more for a Type R when they can modify the Si to do just as well?
A: Knowing how Honda treats the Type R trim, they can't. Drivetrain only gets so far. Weight, gearing, chassis rigidity, suspension, wheels & tires... all have a significant role. And are far more expensive to the educated crowd.

Q: Why is the CTR considered God's Chariot to Sport Compacts?
A: It's not. But it fills a niche in the FWD segment. Get AWD if you want better all-around performance.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Civics4Ever

Rally Red EXT
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Civic Sedan LX, 17 Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If you can afford an R, I see no reason to get an SI.

Hypnotoad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Juke, Acura TL
Country flag
It's odd that they haven't really said when the Si will arrive. We know a lot more about the CTR.

It's also really unclear whether the Si will be just a slightly punchier Civic or a slightly less punchy CTR. If the Si and CTR are related similar to the Subaru WRX/STI trims then we've got interesting choices to make. If the Si is more like the Si's of the past... meh.

Will Si come in hatchback form? I needs the hatch.

OP
OP

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
Let's take it a step further. Why settle for FWD when you can have AWD? Perhaps there's more to a niche than simply performance?

JYR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
8th gen Si
Country flag
I will consider my thoughts when we actually know what the vehicle will offer. At this point, it's a complete pipe dream and we know very little about each vehicle in the grand scheme of things. Recaro seats? Brembo brakes? 350hp? Adaptive suspension? ABS based limited slip or true limited slip? Will limited slip even be available in the Si? Sunroof? Audio? Cost?

We know it's coming and everyone is excited but lets not put the cart before the horse.

jk147

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
I will consider my thoughts when we actually know what the vehicle will offer. At this point, it's a complete pipe dream and we know very little about each vehicle in the grand scheme of things. Recaro seats? Brembo brakes? 350hp? Adaptive suspension? ABS based limited slip or true limited slip? Will limited slip even be available in the Si? Sunroof? Audio? Cost?

We know it's coming and everyone is excited but lets not put the cart before the horse.
I can see Recaro, Brembo, mechanical limited slip front and back and maybe even center. Adaptive suspension is most likely a no, way too expensive and usually reserved for luxury vehicles. Sunroof is a no, body needs to be rigid. Audio, probably minimal to reduce cost.

whippet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Golf R '15 Forester
Country flag
I can see Recaro, Brembo, mechanical limited slip front and back and maybe even center. Adaptive suspension is most likely a no, way too expensive and usually reserved for luxury vehicles. Sunroof is a no, body needs to be rigid. Audio, probably minimal to reduce cost.
This would hit all my "wants" on the CTR, besides adaptive suspension (unlikely) even if its FWD, because then surely it will be light. 315hp and up and I'm happy.

who cares for audio when the car sounds better XD

OP
OP

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
It's worth having the discussion now because we've always known what niche these cars will be marketed. And we have a pretty good idea what will be included based on past treatments and spy photos (and basic logic). We can argue semantics all we want. But I doubt the descriptions in the OP will get backtracked; just more details added as they become available.

Couple other thoughts:

- The 9th Gen CTR has dual mode adaptive suspension (R mode). That will almost certainly carry over to the upcoming model. Although Recaros and Brembos aren't guaranteed, it won't change the fact that this car gets a much more aggressive treatment inside and out.

- Spy photos all but guarantee that a sunroof, cloth interior, and at least a base version of AA/Carplay will be on the Si.

staylurkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' SI Coupe, 14' Accord Coupe v6 (RIP)
Country flag
If you drive HARD, the Type R is where it's at. Treating a warmed-up version of a base car like a performance car can be problematic... If you just want something more engaging then you're average car, then the Si should be enough however. I think the biggest dilemma will come with bodystyle tho...
Type R Hatch? or Si Coupe?

J35W2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'00 supercharged Civic Si (sold), '06 Civic Si (sold) , '14 V6-6MT Accord Coupe (sold), '17 CTR #1637, '18 Civic LX Hatch
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Having owned, modified and beat on (2) previous versions of the Si, I can say that it is really a fantasitc daily driving, fun car. With mild modifications (HFP suspension, brakes, I/H/E & Hondata) I looked forward to driving every single time I got behind the wheel. And when I say beat on, I mean BEAT ON. VTEC on just about every gear change, but staying off the rev limiter. I put over 150,000 miles on both iterations & other than a warranty issue on the '06 Si (defective throttle body butterfly valve) I never had a single issue other than regular maintenance. The '00 Si went a few steps further with a JR supercharger, clutch, flywheel & fully adjustable coil overs, but also went over 150,000 miles with nothing other than maintenance & a few SC belts.

Traded in my '06 Si for a '14 V6-MT Accord Coupe and while I like it a lot and the extra power is nice, I'd trade it back for my Si in a heart beat. The balance & handling of the Si was truely special and an absolute joy to drive.

That being said, I have always wanted a real CTR. I have always dreamed about a factory tuned & warrantied turbo K20 of some sort, especially in a 4 door hatch. Fast forward to 2016/2017 when I am finally old enough to afford a CTR and it's on the way. No chance I'm missing an opportunity to own one.

Last edited:

Eddie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R 2014 Pilot 08 Mugen Si
Country flag
Having owned, modified and beat on (2) previous versions of the Si, I can say that it is really a fantasitc daily driving, fun car. With mild modifications (HFP suspension, brakes, I/H/E & Hondata) I looked forward to driving every single time I got behind the wheel. And when I say beat on, I mean BEAT ON. VTEC on just about every gear change, but staying off the rev limiter. I put over 150,000 miles on both iterations & other than a warranty issue on the '06 Si (defective throttle body butterfly valve) I never had a single issue other than regular maintenance. The '00 Si went a few steps further with a JR supercharger, clutch, flywheel & fully adjustable coil overs, but also went over 150,000 miles with nothing other than maintenance & a few SC belts.

Traded in my '06 Si for a '14 V6-MT Accord Coupe and while I like it a lot and the extra power is nice, I'd trade it back for my Si in a heart beat. The balance & handling of the Si was truely special and an absolute joy to drive.

That being said, I have always wanted a real CTR. I have always dreamed about a factory tuned & warrantied turbo K20 of some sort, especially in a 4 door hatch. Fast forward to 2016/2017 when I am finally old enough to afford a CTR and it's on the way. No chance I'm missing an opportunity to own one.
This was like reading my own post! I too had an 00 si and still have my 8th gen Mugen. I love driving the car everyday, but no chance I'm missing out on an R....

On a side note; I have a friend who also traded an 8th gen si for a similar Accord and too regretted it.

TechSIguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R CW
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Reasons why I'm buying the SI rather CTR; Fun to drive, practical (4 doors), will feature Apple car play, In my price range, Most likely to include a sunroof which is a must for me, reliability of Honda, I know the ride won't be too hard, definitely should be mod friendly, looking to do an intake to give that engine a bit more sound when I get it. I know that the Si won't match the type R and I won't even try racing one but the SI is going to offer plenty of fun.

whippet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Golf R '15 Forester
Country flag
Reasons why I'm buying the SI rather CTR; Fun to drive, practical (4 doors), will feature Apple car play, In my price range, Most likely to include a sunroof which is a must for me, reliability of Honda, I know the ride won't be too hard, definitely should be mod friendly, looking to do an intake to give that engine a bit more sound when I get it. I know that the Si won't match the type R and I won't even try racing one but the SI is going to offer plenty of fun.
Definitely hoping for CarPlay and Sensing Combo on the CTR, but if they decide to do away with it, I don't think I would be devastated. Also wondering if there will be trim options and if so, between CAD/US if they'll differ like the standard hatch models.

I don't know if its just me or others feel this way, but every car I've ever been adamant about having a sun/moonroof on it, has been opened a total of one or two times over a 10 year ownership period. Guess I learned my lesson :)
Sponsored