Not open for further replies.

Bmorecivic

Bmore turbo civic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback sport
Country flag
How was the front and rear red badge install/removal?? Any tips?? Thanks.
Front was easy---rear--well I didn't even bother..went to dealership & had them carefully do it so the pins won't brake
Sponsored

hawk02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Coupe
Front was easy---rear--well I didn't even bother..went to dealership & had them carefully do it so the pins won't brake
Thanks, don't really care if the pics break, throwing them out anyway. Did the front just pry off or something else?

Bmorecivic

Bmore turbo civic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback sport
Country flag
Thanks, don't really care if the pics break, throwing them out anyway. Did the front just pry off or something else?
I think it's not about them breaking.,, more so that the pins get stuck & then you have to get them out

OP
OP
Mishimoto

Mishimoto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR #1254
Country flag
Bring A Jacket: Intercooler R&D, Part 2: Core Framework

Bigger is better. This is the American ideal that has been the foundation of many in the automotive world. However, in modern times, it’s all about consolidation; next-level vehicle technology comes in smaller packages, but broadens the ranges of performance potential. Our engineers shared the modern vision when designing an intercooler for the 2016 Honda Civic 1.5L Turbo. You can’t just throw a huge core on this car and call it a day. With a cramped engine bay and the factory intercooler, radiator, and air conditioning condenser tightly bundled together, it’s vital we get crafty. It’s time to take the road less traveled with the core design to properly surge the maximum amount of cooled air into your Earth Dreams motor.

Honda Civic 10th gen Bring a Jacket: Mishimoto’s Honda Civic 1.5L Turbo Performance Intercooler R&D MG_2864r

I mentioned that we are going for height over depth with this design in the last update, making for a unique change compared to other intercoolers. There are two reasons for choosing height. First, if a core is going to be thicker, it will add weight. While a thick core is great, we do want to keep in mind that this is a Honda Civic, and they aren’t known for upgrades that add a lot of weight. We want things light to keep this car nimble, so our core won’t be too thick. Second, fin surface area for the air to interact with is important. These fins are responsible for the cooling during the heat transfer process. The more fins the air directly hits, the more efficient the heat transfer. With a tall core, it improves the heat transfer and creates more space in the back to keep the core further away from the combined heat of the A/C condenser and radiator.

Honda Civic 10th gen Bring a Jacket: Mishimoto’s Honda Civic 1.5L Turbo Performance Intercooler R&D MG_2951r

If an intercooler stays closer to those components, it will heat the core quicker, negatively affecting heat transfer, thus making your air warmer than it should be. There also won’t be any space for the air to move behind it and cycle some of that radiating heat. By moving our core forward to clear the front core support, we were able to make it taller and slimmer, negating the effects of a core that is deeper and closer to that radiating heat.

Since the core is moved forward, fitment is also something we need to pay attention to. The Sport version has a slightly different bumper than the sedan, so we also ordered a spare EX-T bumper from our local Honda dealership to be sure that our core frame fits. All systems go!

Honda Civic 10th gen Bring a Jacket: Mishimoto’s Honda Civic 1.5L Turbo Performance Intercooler R&D MG_2922r

Emphasizing height means having to manipulate the movement of airflow. The use of ducting functions within our design to funnel air into the core. Our engineers want to be sure that every morsel of air is directed right at our core. A pair of ducts will come with our end tanks to ensure that happens. These ducts will seal against a part of the bumper to direct the air to the core and prevent air from moving around the end tanks.

Honda Civic 10th gen Bring a Jacket: Mishimoto’s Honda Civic 1.5L Turbo Performance Intercooler R&D MG_2996r

Honda Civic 10th gen Bring a Jacket: Mishimoto’s Honda Civic 1.5L Turbo Performance Intercooler R&D MG_2995r

We 3D printed end tanks to mimic our intended design, now that it’s clear ducting will be involved. The end tanks will be cast with a bar-and-plate core. Honda also did something interesting with how they connect their charge pipes to the stock end tanks. They bolt to the intercooler with an O-ring seal, a rare design feature, as most designs use a boot or a coupler. We want this intercooler to work with stock piping and our intercooler piping, so adapters will come with the kit for both versions.

With our complete design plans set in motion, we need to get a functioning prototype in here to see how our theory holds up. It’s now a waiting game until we get to dyno this Civic with our intercooler and find out the results.

Stay tuned. (Typical sendoff, or could I be foreshadowing something this time?)

Honda Civic 10th gen Bring a Jacket: Mishimoto’s Honda Civic 1.5L Turbo Performance Intercooler R&D MG_2856r

-Diamaan

Last edited:

jonnys_honda

First Name
Jonny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R #1288
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Bring A Jacket: Intercooler R&D, Part 2: Core Framework

Honda Civic 10th gen Bring a Jacket: Mishimoto’s Honda Civic 1.5L Turbo Performance Intercooler R&D MG_2996r

Honda Civic 10th gen Bring a Jacket: Mishimoto’s Honda Civic 1.5L Turbo Performance Intercooler R&D MG_2995r

With our complete design plans set in motion, we need to get a functioning prototype in here to see how our theory holds up. It’s now a waiting game until we get to dyno this Civic with our intercooler and find out the results.

Stay tuned. (Typical sendoff, or could I be foreshadowing something this time?)

-Diamaan
Great progress! Can't wait to see the finished product.

CIVICMAN80

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Sport Touring Hatch 2000 Trans Am WS6 2011 Honda Pilot EXL
Vehicle Showcase
They are coming soon!
Any plans on a CVT cooler I seen one from someone else but 499.00? If I ever blow up my CVT I could probably find a used CVT for close to 800.00. So 499 for a cooler is insane IMO of coarse.

OP
OP
Mishimoto

Mishimoto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR #1254
Country flag
Any plans on a CVT cooler I seen one from someone else but 499.00? If I ever blow up my CVT I could probably find a used CVT for close to 800.00. So 499 for a cooler is insane IMO of coarse.
Sorry for the delay guys, we've been slightly delayed for when our prototype was supposed to come in. We want it to be as close to perfect as possible, so it's taking a bit longer than I had initially planned. Good news is that we have some very exciting plans that will go with our testing. You are definitely going to want to stay tuned ;)

As for a CVT cooler, it's something that has been requested from us by a few of you. So it's something that we may look into!
-Diamaan

maaaaackle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport Hatch 6MT
Country flag
Sorry for the delay guys, we've been slightly delayed for when our prototype was supposed to come in. We want it to be as close to perfect as possible, so it's taking a bit longer than I had initially planned. Good news is that we have some very exciting plans that will go with our testing. You are definitely going to want to stay tuned ;)

As for a CVT cooler, it's something that has been requested from us by a few of you. So it's something that we may look into!
-Diamaan
Honestly can't wait.

You guys make quality products.

Hatchy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Ram 1500, 17 Civic Hatch EX-L
Country flag
Free bump. I'm interested in this product and the R&D process.

This thread is a mess of completely unrelated posts.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.