Brake Pad Interchangeable?

kkim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 PPM Sport Hatch manual, 04 Tacoma 4WD, 16 Fit EX
Can we use front brake pads for the 9th gen civics on the 10th gen? Searching online hasn't come up with a definite answer. Some manufactures show they can be used while others don't. Anyone tried using pads from earlier gens on their civic?
Sponsored

TampaCivicX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
According to my catalog(Advance Auto Parts), the pads for the '15 and '16 are the same part number.

OP
OP
kkim

kkim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks. It could be assumed, then, the pads from a 2015 civic would work in a 2016/17? Has anyone actually changed fronts pads that can confirm this? Just want to be sure before ordering some upgraded front pads for my 17 touring.

NorthernEX-T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks. It could be assumed, then, the pads from a 2015 civic would work in a 2016/17? Has anyone actually changed fronts pads that can confirm this? Just want to be sure before ordering some upgraded front pads for my 17 touring.
I'm sure if you ask the parts guy at you're dealer nicely, he would tell you..

PirelliPZero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EJ6, CBR
The brake caliper is the same part number between the 2015 (EX) and 2016/17 models. The brake pad is a different part number, but that could simply be due to a variance in friction compound used.

Akebono looks to be the OE brake pad supplier for the Civic, and they use the same part number for the 2015 (EX) and 2016 models for their upgraded brake pads.

http://showmetheparts.com/akebono/

I would feel quite confident giving it a try - but you may have to be the first to actually do it and verify!

OP
OP
kkim

kkim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Okay, so I emailed Hawk and asked if the pads for the 15 and 16 civics were interchangeable. According to them, the front pads are, but not the rears. Thanks guys for all your input. I'll be ordering some pads for my car soon.

uokrol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic WOP Ex-T, 2014 Subaru Legacy 2.5i
Country flag
Like you said, front pads are the same. Rear pads are not made by Akebono, so they are different.

NorthernEX-T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Okay, so I emailed Hawk and asked if the pads for the 15 and 16 civics were interchangeable. According to them, the front pads are, but not the rears. Thanks guys for all your input. I'll be ordering some pads for my car soon.
How are the Hawk HPS??

OP
OP
kkim

kkim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
How are the Hawk HPS??
I drive a mountain road from sea level to a telescope at the top. It's about a 15 mile drive with an elevation of 4000 ft. and have been doing this for over 30 years. These pads offer more stopping power with a great ability to fight off heat fading for that use. I've used HPS pads in my last 3 or 4 cars and have not been disappointed. I like that they don't dust much and are as quiet as stock pads. Great initial cold grip that is progressive but still predictable and are disc friendly.

I wouldn't recommend these for autocross or track days, but for my needs, they are perfect... sort of like a HD street pad, which is, coincidentally, what they are marketed as.
Sponsored