Boxer vs Inline 4 (STI or Civic Type-R)?

GNS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Mazdaspeed 3
I'm basically torn between the two cars (FK8 Civic Type-R, STI). Well, not this gen of STI with the outdated EJ engine in it, but for the next gen which may have a FA 2.4L from the Ascent. Anyway, I was wondering about the advantages of I4 vs the Boxer, and that (more than AWD vs FWD) is what will help me to decide between the two cars in a few years.

• boxer complexity and cost of manufacture. It has 2 heads, 2 camshafts, 2 cooling jackets, more complicated fuel rail, etc. Subaru can only spend so much money to manufacture a boxer engine without upping the cost too much, so they might have to cut more corners while building the engine. Basically, it's a more complicated design that offers only 2 advantages over the inline 4, which is packaging in the transverse layout for their symmetrical AWD, and a lower center of gravity. The inline 4 is superior in all other respects, as far as I can tell.
  • if the boxer is so superior to other types, why don't other manufacturers really use it? Aside from Porsche.
  • the boxer pistons are submerged in oil (or so I hear) upon startup, which I was told is one of the causes of excessive oil consumption
Basically it boils down to this - why isn't the boxer so widely used if it's such an awesome design (according to Subaru)? Aside from packaging in the engine bay and manufacturing costs, is the Inline 4 simply a far better design because it is less complicated, cheaper and easier to make, and has fewer potential issues than a boxer?

I'm not hating on the STI. I'm just interested, objectively speaking, in knowing whether the inline 4 is simply a better design than the H4. For reference, I read this thread http://www.subaruforester.org/vbull...336089/#/forumsite/20556/topics/336089?page=1 on a Forester forum which got me thinking about the differences between the I4 and H4.
Sponsored

xcoreflyup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Hatchback Sport (Traded in), 2022 BIG PRIUS
Country flag
If you have time or fine with the higher maintenance, get the STI. AWD is AWD.

For me, the civic serves me better since I dont do my own wrenching anymore.

the civic is a good combination of simple and easier to maintenance,fun, styling and comfort. It puts a smile on my face when I throw it in the corner and then thing just turns.

kritz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17Civic SI sedan
Sick

Sponsored