Best/Worst Si Ever

xbbnx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Si, 2017 Si (past), 2015 Si (past)
Country flag
So I am aware that this is a 10th gen site, but I've been doing a lot of reading about past Si's lately, and I am wondering what you guys think, either from first hand experiences or from research, what is the best and worst Si ever made, from its inception to the current model year. I've only driven 2 Si's (2009, and currently own a 2015), but from my research the overwhelming opinion seems to be that the current model year Si seems to be the best all around Sport Injected civic ever made, and on the other hand the 2012 seems to be the most disliked, so reviled in fact that Honda had to do a complete refresh for the next model year. What do you guys think? Best and worst Si of all time and why?
Sponsored

grumpyguy6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si sedan, 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Here's hoping there isn't too much hate about to be hurled at the 10th gens...

OP
OP
xbbnx

xbbnx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

fiatlux

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 Sequoia, '10 M6, '13 STi, '16 TLX
Country flag
So I am aware that this is a 10th gen site, but I've been doing a lot of reading about past Si's lately, and I am wondering what you guys think, either from first hand experiences or from research, what is the best and worst Si ever made, from its inception to the current model year. I've only driven 2 Si's (2009, and currently own a 2015), but from my research the overwhelming opinion seems to be that the current model year Si seems to be the best all around Sport Injected civic ever made, and on the other hand the 2012 seems to be the most disliked, so reviled in fact that Honda had to do a complete refresh for the next model year. What do you guys think? Best and worst Si of all time and why?
To be fair, 2012 was quite possibly one of the worst Civics ever, which naturally effects how we perceive the 2012 Civic Si.

Worst, though, I'd say is the 5th gen Si in the US. While the JDM Civic Si got the B16 DOHC engine, us in the US got the economy oriented D16 SOHC engine. Just knowing that we got a gimped engine really sullied that car.

Interestingly, the 10th gen Civic is hands down the best Civic ever built. I suspect that had this generation kept the K-series motor most haters would be proclaiming this as the greatest Civic Si.

Last edited:
OP
OP
xbbnx

xbbnx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
To be fair, 2012 was quite possibly one of the worst Civics ever, which naturally effects how we perceive the 2012 Civic Si.
How so? Wasn't really in the civic scene back then..

KevinMO91

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Champ white Type R 2011 Si Taff white sedan
How so? Wasn't really in the civic scene back then..
The biggest complaints were the really bad and cheap feeling interior and the way the exterior looked, the the public opinion on both were so overwhelming honda did a refresh not even a year into its cycle,also take into account the life of the 9th gen Civic, it was only 3 years really compared to the 8th gen being 5..... it had a short life cycle and in that time got a refresh not even a year in.....

In my opinion the 9th gen Si was the worst gen, took away the best part of the 8th (high reving) and only had vtec on the intake cam.... and the whole downpipe like cast in the block killed it for me...... the best to me would still be the 8th gen Si that might change when I get my 10th gen Si mid next month...

fiatlux

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 Sequoia, '10 M6, '13 STi, '16 TLX
Country flag
I feel like it probably had something to do with the Fukushima tsunami disaster.
The development for the 9th gen Civic was completed well before Fukushima. Fukushima was in March of 2011; the first batch of 2012 Civics were already rolling out of the factory by then.

batman900

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type-R 2020 4Runner 2019 Camry 2011 Accord
Country flag
8th gen IMO was by far the best. Bullet proof high reving engine with true vtec, great looks, nice interior, sounded fantastic etc etc. 9th gen was the worst, I actually owned a 2012 and 2015. My 17 EX hatch handles with less body roll than that 12 did and is on par with the 15. I didn't hate either one and the 15 was a huge step up from the 12 but the 9th gen overall was just a big step backwards for Honda.

wopsi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic si
Country flag
Owned an 06 si and a 15 si. 06 was fun hence the drama of a higher redline. Drawback was having to rev high to go anywhere quick. 15 si was better in terms of daily driving with more low end torque. Kinda got the best of both worlds with low end torque and still have high revving power albeit not as high as the 8th. Now with the 17 si, to me is best. Handling out of the box is phenomenal and the best of the previous two. To be honest, with the turbo it was just as fun as the 8th, but a different kind of fun. Better feel and ride with more creature comforts. No vtec, no care. The turbo is very nice. All my si's were stock.

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
The 8th had a terrific powertrain mated to a marginal chassis. The 10th Gen is the other way around, at least when compared to its base cousin.

The 10th is easily the best Si ever made, even if the powertrain is a bit underwhelming.

Last edited:

1.5CivicEX-T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Here's hoping there isn't too much hate about to be hurled at the 10th gens...
If you asked Porsche Boxster/Cayman owners they'd say the same thing that the older model was the best model. They loved that free breathing and high rev 6 cyl. Turns out the newest turbo model is indeed superior. Sans a great sounding engine. Boo hoo. Very similar issues though with older Si owners. Not sure this Si is superior, but it's better. And simply different.

People don't like change. That's a shame. Years from now when the Si is all electric and makes no noise but goes 0-60mph in 5 seconds there will be complaints about missing this 1.5 engine. Can't please everyone.

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I really think they forget about the 7th gen Si which was so lackluster it shouldn't have even really had the Si badge. That was when they went with a 3 lobe cam and the power sucked.

Phosky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 Civic DX
Country flag
Best: Tie between 5th and 6th gen
Worst: 7th gen

skycrapper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Si
Best: Tie between 5th and 6th gen
Worst: 7th gen
10th is easily the best based on looks, int, tech and suspension. Straight line speed is a little disappointing compared to previous gens and competition tho

Worst is probably the 7th gen

kritz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17Civic SI sedan
I've loved all my SI's even the Slow EP3. Loved the ergonomics of that car though. Always wanted to do a 06 K20 swap in it.
Sponsored