Best deal in Northern Virginia?

hailmary1974

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Looking for a new 2016 Civic LX. Best experiences with Northern Virginia dealers?
Sponsored

josby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring sedan
Country flag
I usually don't talk in OTD prices since tax varies by state, but since we're both in VA - I got my Touring for $24764 OTD at Hendrick Honda in Woodbridge so I was pretty happy. 15.55% below sticker.

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 BNP Touring, '07 Mercury Milan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I usually don't talk in OTD prices since tax varies by state, but since we're both in VA - I got my Touring for $24764 OTD at Hendrick Honda in Woodbridge so I was pretty happy. 15.55% below sticker.
/endthread

josby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring sedan
Country flag
I got your PM, but I'll answer publicly for anyone else curious. No, I didn't get a student or military discount with mine.

You mentioned being quoted $26,000+ and were hoping to get one for $25K. This is the mistake I think most people make - ASKING a dealership for a price, rather than just TELLING the dealership what you'll give them.

If you live in the middle of nowhere and only have one Honda dealership, that's tough because you don't have much leverage on them. If they say no, you can't do anything. But if you live in NoVA, there are many other Honda dealerships with the same cars you can try if the first one says "No".

Go online and find four or more dealerships in your area that have a Touring in the color you want. Write down the dealership names and numbers, and maybe the stock number of each car too just to show you've done your research.

Pick a dealership (I start at the one that has the highest number of Hondas in inventory on their site) and go there as soon as they open on a Saturday morning. Preferably the last Saturday of the month. Don't waste your time test driving the car, assuming you've already driven a new Civic before. Tell them you're definitely going to buy a Civic today, and you'll be buying it from them if they agree to your price. Tell them you'll give them $25K including all taxes and fees for the car.

Now, this is the hard part. At any hesitation from them, tell them thanks but you're going to go try your offer at the next dealership on your list. It's tough. They'll probably come back with higher offers a couple of times. But each time you say no thanks and that you are leaving, they'll get you to stay so they can try another offer.

If they ask you to justify your price, say you think it's fair from what you've seen online. If they try to argue that, tell them you'll go try it at the other dealerships on your list, and if they all say no too, you'll agree it was too low and come back to them. If they say their car is worth more because they do free oil changes, tell them you do your own and don't want them. If they say theirs is worth more because it has wheel locks or mud guards or anything, tell them you don't want them and they can take them off (these items cost them almost nothing and they'll leave them on). No matter what they say, just keep reminding yourself (and telling them) that you'll go try your offer at other dealerships if they won't accept it.

Honestly, both times I've done this on Hondas, my plan was to start lower than I thought was reasonable and get a clear rejection at the first dealership so I'd know for sure what price was "too low" for when I went to the next dealership. But, both times, I ended up getting the car at the first dealership for within like $150 of what I'd offered.

Try it. Go low. All they can do is say no, and everyone else is selling the exact same car.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
accoord
I got your PM, but I'll answer publicly for anyone else curious. No, I didn't get a student or military discount with mine.

You mentioned being quoted $26,000+ and were hoping to get one for $25K. This is the mistake I think most people make - ASKING a dealership for a price, rather than just TELLING the dealership what you'll give them.

If you live in the middle of nowhere and only have one Honda dealership, that's tough because you don't have much leverage on them. If they say no, you can't do anything. But if you live in NoVA, there are many other Honda dealerships with the same cars you can try if the first one says "No".

Go online and find four or more dealerships in your area that have a Touring in the color you want. Write down the dealership names and numbers, and maybe the stock number of each car too just to show you've done your research.

Pick a dealership (I start at the one that has the highest number of Hondas in inventory on their site) and go there as soon as they open on a Saturday morning. Preferably the last Saturday of the month. Don't waste your time test driving the car, assuming you've already driven a new Civic before. Tell them you're definitely going to buy a Civic today, and you'll be buying it from them if they agree to your price. Tell them you'll give them $25K including all taxes and fees for the car.

Now, this is the hard part. At any hesitation from them, tell them thanks but you're going to go try your offer at the next dealership on your list. It's tough. They'll probably come back with higher offers a couple of times. But each time you say no thanks and that you are leaving, they'll get you to stay so they can try another offer.

If they ask you to justify your price, say you think it's fair from what you've seen online. If they try to argue that, tell them you'll go try it at the other dealerships on your list, and if they all say no too, you'll agree it was too low and come back to them. If they say their car is worth more because they do free oil changes, tell them you do your own and don't want them. If they say theirs is worth more because it has wheel locks or mud guards or anything, tell them you don't want them and they can take them off (these items cost them almost nothing and they'll leave them on). No matter what they say, just keep reminding yourself (and telling them) that you'll go try your offer at other dealerships if they won't accept it.

Honestly, both times I've done this on Hondas, my plan was to start lower than I thought was reasonable and get a clear rejection at the first dealership so I'd know for sure what price was "too low" for when I went to the next dealership. But, both times, I ended up getting the car at the first dealership for within like $150 of what I'd offered.

Try it. Go low. All they can do is say no, and everyone else is selling the exact same car.
How about a trade in?

Wow- that is a strong minded and firm strategy. Thanks for the thorough advice.

To be honest, I went with a similar approach too, looked at a number of dealers alexandria, fairfax, and manansas,
I offered a firm 25.5k OTD but no one would budge and said it was unrealistic.
No dealer called me back either.

I did not go to woodbridge though. You mind PM'ing me some of your info so I can hit them up and leverage your sale for a similar OTD price?

Would appreciate it a whole lot - I been at this since last 2 weeks

Last edited:

josby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring sedan
Country flag
No, I didn't have a trade-in. I had an Accord but I sold that on Craigslist. I got Hendrick to throw in a free inspection of it when I bought my Civic since it was due though :)

Were you talking to them in-person or on the phone? I ask because I don't think on the phone or in email works as well.

I'll PM you, but honestly I don't think it will help much with leveraging. They might say "that was back in the Spring, there were different incentives from Honda at that time". Or, since mine is leased, if you're paying cash or financing, they'll say "well that's different, that was a lease.". Any excuse they can think of.

d1zguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' Mustang GT Premium
Country flag
Very good deal I got my EXT with sensing for 22400 OTD at Bill page honda in falls church.

airkizr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Accord
If anyone is looking for a civic in Northern Virginia, and looking for a great deal. You can pm, and I will help you get in a car, at the best possible price

sam17civicsport

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Sport
Country flag
Got my sport hatch for $20.8k OTD at Chantilly Pohanka. The man you talk to is Muhammed K. You can communicate with him via text/call/email and he'll actually quote you a damn deal (unlike many other dealers and even other salesguys at the same store)! PM me if you need his contact info

honduhh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic EX-T
To all my CTR fans out there, I work at Landmark Honda. We just got two in stock today! Supposedly we have potential customers for them, but I want to send a shout out to the CivicX family before they sell. PM me if you want to snag one.

d1zguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' Mustang GT Premium
Country flag
To all my CTR fans out there, I work at Landmark Honda. We just got two in stock today! Supposedly we have potential customers for them, but I want to send a shout out to the CivicX family before they sell. PM me if you want to snag one.
MSRP?

honduhh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic EX-T
You know as well as I do that no dealership in this area is going to sell the CTR for MSRP. The car is to sought after still. We will have a AMV on the vehicle. Not sure exactly how much yet, but that can be negotiated.

d1zguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' Mustang GT Premium
Country flag
You know as well as I do that no dealership in this area is going to sell the CTR for MSRP. The car is to sought after still. We will have a AMV on the vehicle. Not sure exactly how much yet, but that can be negotiated.
eh not interested. My interest level on the Type R is very low and not a need or want. but used or for under mark up... I can wait or buy something else that catches my interest. I hear the new Z is coming out, or a model 3
Sponsored