Best Combo for Water Beading/Sheeting

snbns

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring - MSM
Country flag
Hey Everyone,

I wanted to see what others use on their CivicX for water beading/sheeting. I recently used Chemical Guys JetSeal and then topped it off with Chemical Guys Butter Wet Wax, and I got great results. With hard rain, the water beading is great. When you drive the water practically flies off. Although when light rain occurs, the water doesn't really fall off and the beads end up sitting on the car and when it dries up, leaves some light water spots (easily buffs off with some Chemical Guys Speed Wipe).

What combos have you guys used to achieve nice water beading/sheeting?
Sponsored

Touring

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring, 2013 Honda Civic EX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hey Everyone,

I wanted to see what others use on their CivicX for water beading/sheeting. I recently used Chemical Guys JetSeal and then topped it off with Chemical Guys Butter Wet Wax, and I got great results. With hard rain, the water beading is great. When you drive the water practically flies off. Although when light rain occurs, the water doesn't really fall off and the beads end up sitting on the car and when it dries up, leaves some light water spots (easily buffs off with some Chemical Guys Speed Wipe).

What combos have you guys used to achieve nice water beading/sheeting?
I haven't had a chance to try it yet, but Collinite 845 is on my list. I've heard really good things about its beading/sheeting properties.

A lot of people like to rag on Turtle Wax but their Ice Spray Wax is the best spray wax I've used. I've tried a handful of different ones including Meguiars and Chemical Guys and this one has by far the best water repellency of the bunch. I've been using it after the last couple times I've washed my car and I'm really happy with it. It's cheap too, which is also a plus

OP
OP
snbns

snbns

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring - MSM
Country flag
I haven't had a chance to try it yet, but Collinite 845 is on my list. I've heard really good things about its beading/sheeting properties.

A lot of people like to rag on Turtle Wax but their Ice Spray Wax is the best spray wax I've used. I've tried a handful of different ones including Meguiars and Chemical Guys and this one has by far the best water repellency of the bunch. I've been using it after the last couple times I've washed my car and I'm really happy with it. It's cheap too, which is also a plus
I've heard about this wax as well. I'm definitely going to try it just to see the difference.

OP
OP
snbns

snbns

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring - MSM
Country flag
I bought the Collinite 845 from Amazon. I'll probably wash my car again next week and apply the Collinite 845 with a DA. Will report back with results!

timothyjay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
I bought the Collinite 845 from Amazon. I'll probably wash my car again next week and apply the Collinite 845 with a DA. Will report back with results!
Let me know how that works also. Been looking into trying that out as well.

jonsnow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX
I tried Meguiar's Ultimate Liquid Wax a few months ago and it has held up well. After a recent rain storm, when compared to the other cars in my parking lot at work, the water was beaded up on my car but not on those other cars which apparently hadn't been waxed in a long time.
This was the first time I used this product. I applied it to the whole car in my carport and then had a hard time wiping it off. Apparently they recommend applying to one section, then wiping off before going to next section of car.

Touring

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring, 2013 Honda Civic EX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I tried Meguiar's Ultimate Liquid Wax a few months ago and it has held up well. After a recent rain storm, when compared to the other cars in my parking lot at work, the water was beaded up on my car but not on those other cars which apparently hadn't been waxed in a long time.
This was the first time I used this product. I applied it to the whole car in my carport and then had a hard time wiping it off. Apparently they recommend applying to one section, then wiping off before going to next section of car.
I always notice that on rainy days when I'm at work. Every other car has that flat wet look and mine is the only one where the water beads up on the surface. Kind of crazy how few people wax their cars. It's not like they have to go all out and clay and polish it. Just some basic Turtle Wax found at Walmart will go a long way

Rush

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Coupe EXT
Country flag
I've been using Klasse which I purchased from AutoGeek.com for a few years now. It's great stuff! The sealant lasts close to a year and if you like to wax, layer over some carnuba and you'll have a deep shine.

mechatune

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2.slow
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Currently have Cquartz UK on and Chemical Guys XXX wax on top. Like 100% beading & sheeting. I can't think of a better combo for the money.
To be honest, Collinite 845 seems like an old wives' tale to me. I don't see any pros using it so I wouldn't even try it.

aaronarf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12' Tacoma, 16' Civic Touring
Country flag
Nothing can touch Zaino, IMO best sealant out there.

I also use Klasse AIO/Super Glaze.

Pearl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 CivicT
I use Bud Light and Four Star sealant. With a new Civic, just wash it with detergent and apply sealant. I'm not even sure the factory applies a wax before sending these cars out into the wild but while new, there's no need to clay bar.

I just believe in using a sealant first and then whatever choice of wax if you want something to do on a Saturday. TBO, after using a sealant, I don't even bother with waxing because some waxes can dull the sealant's already brilliant shine.

nielboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 BMW 435i X-Drive
Country flag
I've used almost every wax/sealant available. These are my favourites.

Collonite 845 is one of the most durable sealants that I've used. 845 is relatively inexpensive as well. You've just got to keep it off the rubber trim, textured black plastic because it will leave that hazy white chalky residue that is next to impossible to remove.

Zaino is awesome.....but it's much harder to work with than Collonite 845 & can only be bought at certain vendors. It's more expensive than 845 & doesn't have the durability of Collonite 845, but can be freely applied onto anything without leave the chalky residue. That's a huge selling point for me.

Optimum Opti-Seal - spray on, wipe off. This stuff is as easy as it gets. I use it all the time. It's durability is questionable to me, but how easy it goes on makes up for that. No chalky residue either. Good option for matte wheels instead of the far more expensive options from Chemical Guys.

As far as the permanent coatings......those are awesome, but I think that over the past three or four years they've over-priced especially the ones that require a pro detailer to apply them.

I've had both Optimum Opti-Coat Pro & CQuartz Finest applied to two different vehicles....both were metallic black. I was looking for no fuss no muss. That's not the case really & they're not permanent coatings.

CQuartz Finest advertises 2 years, while Opti-Coat Pro advertises around 5 years. CQuartz says their's is glossier, but I didn't see the difference. They both cost roughly the same to apply with the necessary prep work ($1000 Canadian).

I liked Opti-Coat Pro much better. For the same price I got 3 more years out of the coating. It was really zero maintenance other than being careful washing it, because it would swirl mark just like any other finish if you weren't careful. It would also water spot badly if you didn't dry it in a timely fashion in the shade.........just like a regular finish.

The CQuartz Finest seemed to get swirl marks on it far easier than the Opti-Coat Pro. There is a lot of discussion on the anti-scratch properties of CQuartz Finest not being so anti-scratch.
It would also water spot badly if you didn't dry it in a timely fashion in the shade.........just like a regular finish.

My biggest pet peeve with the Cquartz Finest is the makers strongly suggest that their product needs to be "re-energized" using another one of their products called CarPro Reload, which brings the finish back to like it was just applied. So the Cquartz Finest loses me there. The Opticoat Pro doesn't need any touching up or reinvigorating...at least not the generation of the product I had. They may have jumped on the CQuartz Finest bandwagon by now to increase profit margins though.

In a nut shell....the semi permanent coatings used to be a bargain when they first came out.............now not so much.

On a side note, if anyone has any other recommendations for a non hazy/chalking sealant, shoot me your suggestions. I'm always looking for the next greatest thing.

OP
OP
snbns

snbns

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring - MSM
Country flag
I've used almost every wax/sealant available. These are my favourites.

Collonite 845 is one of the most durable sealants that I've used. 845 is relatively inexpensive as well. You've just got to keep it off the rubber trim, textured black plastic because it will leave that hazy white chalky residue that is next to impossible to remove.

Zaino is awesome.....but it's much harder to work with than Collonite 845 & can only be bought at certain vendors. It's more expensive than 845 & doesn't have the durability of Collonite 845, but can be freely applied onto anything without leave the chalky residue. That's a huge selling point for me.

Optimum Opti-Seal - spray on, wipe off. This stuff is as easy as it gets. I use it all the time. It's durability is questionable to me, but how easy it goes on makes up for that. No chalky residue either. Good option for matte wheels instead of the far more expensive options from Chemical Guys.

As far as the permanent coatings......those are awesome, but I think that over the past three or four years they've over-priced especially the ones that require a pro detailer to apply them.

I've had both Optimum Opti-Coat Pro & CQuartz Finest applied to two different vehicles....both were metallic black. I was looking for no fuss no muss. That's not the case really & they're not permanent coatings.

CQuartz Finest advertises 2 years, while Opti-Coat Pro advertises around 5 years. CQuartz says their's is glossier, but I didn't see the difference. They both cost roughly the same to apply with the necessary prep work ($1000 Canadian).

I liked Opti-Coat Pro much better. For the same price I got 3 more years out of the coating. It was really zero maintenance other than being careful washing it, because it would swirl mark just like any other finish if you weren't careful. It would also water spot badly if you didn't dry it in a timely fashion in the shade.........just like a regular finish.

The CQuartz Finest seemed to get swirl marks on it far easier than the Opti-Coat Pro. There is a lot of discussion on the anti-scratch properties of CQuartz Finest not being so anti-scratch.
It would also water spot badly if you didn't dry it in a timely fashion in the shade.........just like a regular finish.

My biggest pet peeve with the Cquartz Finest is the makers strongly suggest that their product needs to be "re-energized" using another one of their products called CarPro Reload, which brings the finish back to like it was just applied. So the Cquartz Finest loses me there. The Opticoat Pro doesn't need any touching up or reinvigorating...at least not the generation of the product I had. They may have jumped on the CQuartz Finest bandwagon by now to increase profit margins though.

In a nut shell....the semi permanent coatings used to be a bargain when they first came out.............now not so much.

On a side note, if anyone has any other recommendations for a non hazy/chalking sealant, shoot me your suggestions. I'm always looking for the next greatest thing.
Wow, thanks for the awesome reply, @nielboy! I actually got Collinite 845 from Amazon yesterday. I'm hoping to apply it soon. Currently I have a layer of CG JetSeal, and CG Butter Wet Wax on my Civic. Do you think I should remove these first before applying the Collinite? I was thinking on using CG Citrus Wash and Gloss and clay barring to remove my previous layers of sealant/wax. I'm wondering of Collinite will still bond to the surface well even if I have a previous sealant/wax on my car.

nielboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 BMW 435i X-Drive
Country flag
Wow, thanks for the awesome reply, @nielboy! I actually got Collinite 845 from Amazon yesterday. I'm hoping to apply it soon. Currently I have a layer of CG JetSeal, and CG Butter Wet Wax on my Civic. Do you think I should remove these first before applying the Collinite? I was thinking on using CG Citrus Wash and Gloss and clay barring to remove my previous layers of sealant/wax. I'm wondering of Collinite will still bond to the surface well even if I have a previous sealant/wax on my car.
Someone else can maybe chime in on that. I know a lot of people on the Autogeek forum layer a lot of different products on each other.

I'm lazy that way though...hence my trying out the semi-permanent coatings.
Sponsored