Automatic Brake Hold?

Gt1948

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Prius
Not sure I like this at all.

Automatic Brake Hold
When activated, Automatic Brake Hold retains brake pressure when the vehicle comes to a stop such as at a traffic light or in heavy traffic. This frees the driver from continually pressing the brake pedal to maintain the vehicle in a stopped position, a significant improvement in driving enjoyment in difficult conditions.

Operating the system requires two simple actions from the driver:

• Activating/deactivating the system via a switch on the center console
  • Pressing on the brake pedal until the vehicle comes to a stop
Once these steps are taken, Automatic Brake Hold will indicate engagement and then maintain brake pressure when the vehicle has come to a stop, even if the driver later releases the brake pedal. A green "Brake Hold" icon on the instrument panel illuminates to show that the system is functioning. The Civic then remains stopped – even on a hill – until the driver presses the accelerator pedal. At this point Automatic Brake Hold releases the brakes and the vehicle resumes normal braking function.
Sponsored

HondaGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NA
Not sure I like this at all.

Automatic Brake Hold
When activated, Automatic Brake Hold retains brake pressure when the vehicle comes to a stop such as at a traffic light or in heavy traffic. This frees the driver from continually pressing the brake pedal to maintain the vehicle in a stopped position, a significant improvement in driving enjoyment in difficult conditions.

Operating the system requires two simple actions from the driver:

• Activating/deactivating the system via a switch on the center console
  • Pressing on the brake pedal until the vehicle comes to a stop
Once these steps are taken, Automatic Brake Hold will indicate engagement and then maintain brake pressure when the vehicle has come to a stop, even if the driver later releases the brake pedal. A green "Brake Hold" icon on the instrument panel illuminates to show that the system is functioning. The Civic then remains stopped – even on a hill – until the driver presses the accelerator pedal. At this point Automatic Brake Hold releases the brakes and the vehicle resumes normal braking function.

The 2016 HRV has this and I find it very useful living in the NJ (which has some of busiest roads), and a few minutes away from NYC. It becomes very natural, since all you do is press one button and go. Nothing else is required.

Yet if its something you never want to use, simply never turn it on. It's off by default, so many never see it in use.

OP
OP

Gt1948

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Prius
The 2016 HRV has this and I find it very useful living in the NJ (which has some of busiest roads), and a few minutes away from NYC. It becomes very natural, since all you do is press one button and go. Nothing else is required.

Yet if its something you never want to use, simply never turn it on. It's off by default, so many never see it in use.
Will give it a try...

civvie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
Exactly. It's like the Auto Start Stop in some cars that can you turn off for good using the button. I'm glad btw that there's no Auto Start-Stop in the new Civic, it's the most annoying thing possible.

So does this Auto Brake Hold come with the manual LX too where you can use it as an anti-roll hill assist feature?

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Prelude Si
Country flag
So, if you take your foot off of the brake, at a stop light, while ABH is active, the car will stay stopped as ABH is applying the parking brake until you accelerate?

What about your brake lights, do they stay on to warn drivers behind you while ABH is active and you have your foot off of the brake pedal??

Newflyer3

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Yes, your brake lights will stay on despite your foot not being on the pedal. I don't know why people are voicing their opinions about this... It doesn't matter if you like it or not, if you don't like it, don't use it. You're not being held against your will to use a feature in the car. It's a choice.

CdnColin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2O16 Civic Touring 'WOP', 2016 HRV EXL w/nav. 'Milano Red'
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Use it all the time on our HRV. Wondering what happens if you engaged brake hold with the new (0 mph) active cruise control. In theory the car could drive itself without having to touch either pedal.

jdewd250

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Aegean blue EX hatch has joined my 2016 Civic EX sedan
Country flag
I was unsure about brake hold myself, but after an ugly legs day at my morning workout it is a nice relieve to apply the brake and then rest my old tired legs until the light changes.

Now I really like brake hold! :thumbsup:

Trellaine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Sedan EX with Honda sensor (nov 16) :)
When you resume driving the "auto brake light" goes off? But the other light stays on correct? One light shows activation? The other does the action?

Thanks

goflyakuite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring (MSM/BLK)
Vehicle Showcase
When you resume driving the "auto brake light" goes off? But the other light stays on correct? One light shows activation? The other does the action?
Thanks
Yes two lights....
"Brake Hold" ---- Indicator Brake Hold system is on. A second light that says "HOLD" (in USA) lights up when active and then goes off when deactivated. In Canada there is a graphic to indicate when Hold is active.

Trellaine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Sedan EX with Honda sensor (nov 16) :)
Thanks. So I can safely drive when one light is on?

Newflyer3

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Thanks. So I can safely drive when one light is on?
You can technically drive 'safely' with both lights on... With that being said yes, don't worry about it.

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Sedan Touring, '18 CR-V Touring AWD
Country flag
You can technically drive 'safely' with both lights on
If you are driving, not stopped, and both lights are on, this would seem like a "not good" condition. Is the car effectively "riding the brakes"? Wouldn't that be kinda like a traditional (non ACC/LSF) Honda cruise control with both lights (enabled and active) on at a full stop?

Ultrafrozen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gavnzdad
There is no way to drive with the brake hold activated. Same goes for the parking brake. Hitting the gas will release either.
This is from the owner's manual CD that came with your car, lots of good stuff to read.

See attached for light indicators, only one on while driving, both on while stopped.

Honda Civic 10th gen Automatic Brake Hold? Capture1.JPG
Honda Civic 10th gen Automatic Brake Hold? Capture2.JPG