Auto Climate Control Question

RG129

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-T w/ Sensing
When I'm on "Auto" and I look at my climate screen, it never indicates whether it's deciding to use AC or not. Both "On" and "Off" remain dark grey. I'm pretty sure it switches on and off because I can feel the difference (I drive home from the warm parts of the Bay Area to foggy San Francisco), but I get no indication on the screen. I've seen the "Auto" function show how it's controlling re-circulation and fan speed, but no display of AC.

My last point of reference was my 2006 Acura TL where when in "Auto" mode, the light on the dash would turn on and off indicating whether it's using AC or not.

Does anybody else see this as well?
Sponsored

CobraCommand

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Canadian Civic LX Hatchback, formerly 2017 Canadian Civic LX Sedan
Country flag
That's how mine is as well but since you set a target temp I just set it and forget it.

BarracksSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Sport Touring Hatch; '17 CR-V EX. Formerly '02 EP3.
Country flag
I thought I'd miss all the manual controls for HVAC (I owned my '02 EP3 for fifteen years), but the set-and-forget climate control is so much nicer in daily use.

OP
OP

RG129

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-T w/ Sensing
I definitely am liking the auto climate control compared to the underpowered AC on my 2015 Fit. I would just like to know when the system decides to shut the AC off as the cabin gets cold. Partly out of curiosity, and partly to know a better time to manually shut off the AC to save on some gas.

Rickmeister 48

First Name
Overlord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic ex-t
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Mine is like that as well,once you touch it, either on or off, you put it in manual mode and the auto light goes out.

tsupersonic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Hatchback EX-L, '17 Forester XT
Country flag
Same there is no AC indication, but that's the way it's supposed to be! The car automatically adjusts to the temperature you set - you don't need to worry if it needs heat or AC to get to that temperature. If you guys are using eco mode, it does make the climate control "work" a little less.

BigThurman006

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX; 2015 Ford Edge SE
I can't stand the Auto-Climate control. Being in Texas, the car is pretty much always hot. Until the car gets properly warmed up and the A/C is blowing cold the Auto-Climate will just blow at top-speed. Its very obnoxious so I just set it to the coolest temp and a reasonable fan setting. I will say, the Ford's I have owned have had much better A/C units (2008 Ranger and 2015 Edge); those things blew ICE.

BobM_Jr

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Country flag
I can't stand the Auto-Climate control. Being in Texas, the car is pretty much always hot. Until the car gets properly warmed up and the A/C is blowing cold the Auto-Climate will just blow at top-speed. Its very obnoxious so I just set it to the coolest temp and a reasonable fan setting. I will say, the Ford's I have owned have had much better A/C units (2008 Ranger and 2015 Edge); those things blew ICE.
I don't hate the AUTO mode but it is an annoyance at times. No only does the fan run too often in high speed it's also almost constantly in the Recirc mode. It's as if when the sun is out the fan is full blast and A/C is in Recirc. mode.

inv4zn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Country flag
^This.

If you're running the A/C, you want it to be in recirc. That way you're cooling air that's already been cooled, not the hot air from outside.

BobM_Jr

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Country flag
There's a point where you want fresh air. Recirc is supposed to be used to cool the interior faster at start-up but really shouldn't be used continuously. It also makes the A/C noisier when on.

Civic Fan 2016

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Honda Civic, 2016 Honda Civic
Country flag
I never want my AC in anything other than Recirc mode. Traffic stinks, literally.
Exactly. In dh's Prius, selecting recirc doesn't override the auto. I use recirc frequently because I don't like smelling car exhaust.

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MX-5 Miata GT-S, 2021 Ridgeline RTL-E
Country flag
I would just like to know when the system decides to shut the AC off as the cabin gets cold. Partly out of curiosity, and partly to know a better time to manually shut off the AC to save on some gas.
Whenever the system is in AUTO mode or when the A/C is manually turned "ON" or when defrost mode is selected, the compressor always runs whenever the outside temperature is above freezing. The compressor does not shut off once the cabin reaches temperature. It stays running to keep the evaporator temperature just above 32°F. It then controls cabin temperature by mixing cold air from the evaporator with hot air from the heater core through "blend doors" that determine whether the air coming from the vents is cooled by the evaporator, heated by the heater core, or some mixture of both.

Also, the A/C compressor in the '16-current Civic is of the variable displacement type. Instead of cycling on and off like some other compressors the keep the evaporator temperature just above freezing, the compressor clutch remains engaged while the compressor varies its displacement. This increases the life of the compressor clutch and eliminates surges of power from the engine caused from cycling compressors.

In many cars, you'll notice the compressor cycle on and off while you're idling. The Civic doesn't do this because it runs the compressor continuously. The only time it shuts off is when you're not in a defrost mode and have the A/C set to OFF or it's well below freezing outside.

Porsche tech

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Odyssey EX-L, 2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
Econ mode plays a role too in deciding when the compressor runs, I believe...if you have that activated (which I pretty much always do).--Dave

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MX-5 Miata GT-S, 2021 Ridgeline RTL-E
Country flag
Econ mode plays a role too in deciding when the compressor runs, I believe...if you have that activated (which I pretty much always do).--Dave
"ECON Mode
Every 2016 Civic is equipped with a green ECON button located on the center console near the shift lever. When the button is pushed to activate ECON mode, several operating characteristics of the vehicle are modified for enhanced fuel efficiency. The Drive-by-Wire throttle system provides more gradual response, and to save additional energy, the climate control's fan speeds are lowered incrementally and other climate control system characteristics are altered based on the conditions. Another push of the ECON button reverts all systems to their normal mode." - http://hondanews.com/releases/2016-honda-civic-sedan-press-kit-powertrain?page=2

This means that the fan speeds are lowered and the system allows for larger temperature swings so it becomes less aggressive at reaching and maintaining the desired temperature. It does not reduce the amount of time the compressor runs - the compressor clutch is still engaged and the compressor is still turning 100% of the time regardless of whether ECON mode is ON or OFF.
Sponsored