Assuming Similar Price, EX Hatch CVT or 2017 VW Jetta GLI (DSG)

geobrick

First Name
Geo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 BMW 530
I know most of you in this forum are Civic enthusiast and my test drive of a 2017 EX Hatch with CVT was impressive. But I can't say it was as impressive as my test drive of the VW Jetta GLI with the DSG (Dual Clutch Automatic).

You'd be correct to say the Jetta GLI is in a different price category but I've been getting GLI quotes within $800-$1000 of what I've been getting for a 2017 Civic so it seems they're really discounting them now. I know the GLI will be completely redesigned in 2018 so I'd be getting the last of the older model but it seems to be a very good car especially at the price they're being offered for.

I'm leaning towards the civic for exterior and interior styling, hatch functionality, fun drive, and expected reliability.

I'm leaning towards the GLI for the perceived value, its a wolf in sheep's clothing (it has plain looks but has very appealing performance).

The downside to the Jetta GLI: No hatch, old dated style, expected lack of reliability.

Let me know what you think or if I'm missing something about the Civic.

Note: this is for a 20-something year-old who seems to be fine with either one. It's not for me. The civic EX hatch is in our price range. The Jetta GLI would normally not be within reach.
Sponsored

Keefe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring - Modern Steel Metallic
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It may be out of your price range, but if you can look into getting a GTI. At least test drive one and check it out, trust me its worth it. I was looking to purchase a new car and it was between many cars, but a civic hatch was on my list as well. I test drove the civic hatch and it was a little underwhelming (I own a 2016 Sedan Touring that felt faster) so after I went and test drove a GTI, and long story short came home with one even though it was quite above my original budget. The DSG gearbox is the best automatic gearbox around, and if you can get a good price on a clear-out 2017 model go for it. Just one thing to note as well, Volkswagen is changing their standard warranty for 2018, its a much better warranty in 2018, 6 year 60,000 mile warranty.

OP
OP

geobrick

First Name
Geo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 BMW 530
It may be out of your price range, but if you can look into getting a GTI. At least test drive one and check it out, trust me its worth it. I was looking to purchase a new car and it was between many cars, but a civic hatch was on my list as well. I test drove the civic hatch and it was a little underwhelming (I own a 2016 Sedan Touring that felt faster) so after I went and test drove a GTI, and long story short came home with one even though it was quite above my original budget. The DSG gearbox is the best automatic gearbox around, and if you can get a good price on a clear-out 2017 model go for it. Just one thing to note as well, Volkswagen is changing their standard warranty for 2018, its a much better warranty in 2018, 6 year 60,000 mile warranty.
Yes, I did drive the GTI and it is a lot of fun to drive. The problem with the GTI is it's a very popular car and the 2017 discounts won't be close to what they're offering on the GLI. The GLI is many steps above a Jetta SEL. As you mention the DSG is very good but the suspension and brakes are also noticeably better. While the GTI is also noticeably more fun than a GLI, I didn't find the difference in performance worth the likely difference in price between the GLI. But yes, I admit it's the better choice. The information about the VW warranty is interesting. VW really has to have a better warranty than Honda to be competitive. I'm sure it's built into the pricing but not marked up as much as an extended warranty would be.

The Civic Hatch is a solid car that's also fun to drive but the overall performance and feel is not on par with the GTI or GLI but that should be expected with the difference in MSRP. The real comparison should likely be made with the Civic Si or the R-Type but then your talking higher MSRP. That brings me back to my original question, would you get a Jetta GLI if you could get it for a price within $800-$1000 of what you'd pay for a 2017 Civic Hatch EX CVT?

Keefe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring - Modern Steel Metallic
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yes, I would. Reason being, because I like to have some fairly good performance with my cars and wanted some upgrade potential haha. The VW interior will be nicer than the civic, I was really impressed with the GTI interior coming from a 2016 Civic Touring which already had a nice interior. The main differences between the two is price, I'm sure in the long run the GLI will cost more even if it started at the same price, due to the fact that the regular maintenance is a bit more than a civic, and the fact that the GLI will use a little more gas. But I think that difference will be justifiable with the added fun you'll get out of the car. Also one thing to note, I noticed that my GTI says it can take regular fuel on the fuel door, so i'm assuming its the same for 2017 GLI's.

skullmurdoc

First Name
Frederick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic SI sedan 2017 , Civic SI sedan 2013
Country flag
The GTI and GLI are a competition for the SI. Of course it will feel better then the Hatch EX driving wise. They probably feel better then the SI in a lot of ways.
If you can get a GLI for basically the same price. Go for it ! You could try to deal with Honda since you are likely to go elsewhere !

Evolution999

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
For me: 2014 Evo X MR, 2014 Nissan 370Z Nimso, For the mrs: 2015 BMW M3 Sedan
Country flag
The GLI is a superior vehicle, there shouldn't be any debate about this

OP
OP

geobrick

First Name
Geo