Anyone Using Adaptive Cruise Control (sensing) in Stop and Go Traffic?

cycledrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Accord sedan 4 cyl
I have test driven Civic Touring on a city street and successfully got it to slow and stop itself behind a car that has slowed and stopped ahead, then follow car ahead with resume.

So, is anyone successfully using Adaptive Cruise Control to take the load off in stop and go or slow and go?

Not likely I'll get to try it so much on a test drive, so I appreciate any input from owners.
Sponsored

timcole421

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T Sensing Sedan
Not really. Too aggressive with starting and stopping, and if the car in front of you switches lanes it aggressively speeds up to get to the predetermined gap.....then brakes hard. Not practical.

djasonw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring, 2017 Toyota iM
Country flag
I've used it quite successfully. You have to be very mindful of cancelling it if the car in front of you changes lanes and a light is coming up. I've become very adept at keeping my hand near the button on the steering wheel to cancel it when needed. It works very well if you keep on top of it and don't let your mind wander. It works really well when there is bumper to bumper traffic.

RedTouringMA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Rallye Red Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
I have recently used it on several trips to and from Boston, anyone will tell you Boston traffic is insane, but it worked pretty well. I will say it stops a little faster than I would prefer to, and keeps the car maybe 3 car lengths away at 25mph which I'd probably be closer than that, but it sure beat the on and off with the brakes and gas for an hour!

16extsense

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T with Sensing
Country flag
Sometimes I'm tired of ACC while driving on the freeway, let alone city streets. To me ACC (or actually a dumb CC is enough for me) is only for an empty interstate.

Mocha90210

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
I have recently used it on several trips to and from Boston, anyone will tell you Boston traffic is insane, but it worked pretty well. I will say it stops a little faster than I would prefer to, and keeps the car maybe 3 car lengths away at 25mph which I'd probably be closer than that, but it sure beat the on and off with the brakes and gas for an hour!
Agreed, I find that the closest setting (minimum following distance) is not aggressive enough in heavy traffic. People will keep cutting in front of you.

themzlab

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
themzlab.tumblr.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring, 2013 Prius 5,2003 Jetta TDI
Country flag
I've used it a bit but....my wife really doesn't like it. It's too scary to be a passenger in the car while it does the relatively aggressive braking and accelerating. As the driver, I know I am prepared to over-ride but she doesn't know. My wife typically drives the car for her commute and she tells me that she doesn't use these features at all.

The controls don't seem capable of feathering the accelerator pedal to make the car creep forward. Or else, the radar is giving bad information. Also, the braking is too aggressive. I would prefer the controls to allow more variability in the gap between the cars in exchange for a smoother response.

It is so promising... yet either needs better sensors or more work on the software.

WhatTheFun

Knows some stuff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have used it in stop and go but I typically don't.

Reasons:
1. Not smooth, feels like a 16 year old with a drivers permit
2. The gap, on a multi-lane highway cars keep cutting in front of you
3. Slow acceleration, as the cars start to accelerate in front of you, the car waits too long and doesn't apply enough accelerator (resulting in problem #2)

I will use the features when I am on a country road, but that is about it.

NorthernEX-T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Agreed, I find that the closest setting (minimum following distance) is not aggressive enough in heavy traffic. People will keep cutting in front of you.
Especially in the GTA :bonk:

CBR600F4i

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Touring
Country flag
No not in stop and go traffic. It's way too aggressive and could cause a rear-end collision. On a long-distance drive with few cars, different story.

iPunkin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
So, I use it very frequently (daily commute, 60 minutes each way.), and I do share some of the sentiments above. It does leave a pretty significant gap, which other drivers take advantage of. If a car in front changes lanes, it does take a minute to register, which again, other drivers take advantage of. Once it does recognize a gap and accelerates, it does so pretty aggressively. That being said, however, it has truly made a world of difference in my commute. If I take a more laissez faire approach and just let the car do the work and not worry about other drivers moving in front of my car, it's a pretty pleasant driving experience. I frequently play with the car-length sensor. I leave it at 4/4 (maximum length between cars) for sparse driving conditions, and 2/4 (medium-low length between cars) for heavier traffic. (Protip, I find 2/4 instead of 1/4 allows for smoother accelerating and braking in traffic)

All in all, the Honda Sensing suite was one of my main draws to this car and, though it does have room for improvement, I'm pleased with it's overall functionality.

apophenia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring Sedan
Country flag
ACC is awesome for interstate or low-mid traffic freeway, but I don't like LSF. Yes, as people above said, it's starting and stopping too aggressively....

finneylp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic, 2016
Country flag
I use it all the time. You can adjust the following distance so the gap is not too large, I keep mine at 2/4 for both traffic and regular commuting in the SF bay area. If the car comes to a complete stop you do have to touch the accelerator to start moving again.

I am concerned my car is not a predictable 'driver'. I would like to drive behind another Civic driver to see when break lights turn on, if breaking is a surprise...basically I strive to be predictable in driving to aid everyone's safety, I want to make sure my car does the same when driving itself.

RedTouringMA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Rallye Red Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
I use it all the time. You can adjust the following distance so the gap is not too large, I keep mine at 2/4 for both traffic and regular commuting in the SF bay area. If the car comes to a complete stop you do have to touch the accelerator to start moving again.

I am concerned my car is not a predictable 'driver'. I would like to drive behind another Civic driver to see when break lights turn on, if breaking is a surprise...basically I strive to be predictable in driving to aid everyone's safety, I want to make sure my car does the same when driving itself.
Shouldn't have to press the gas again to make it move. I've also wondered if it's activating the tail lights. I would think it must, since drivers behind me haven't come flying up on my back side

Dretlaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring WOP, 2023 Tesla Model Y Perf
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Shouldn't have to press the gas again to make it move. I've also wondered if it's activating the tail lights. I would think it must, since drivers behind me haven't come flying up on my back side
I've asked myself this question a few times!
Sponsored