Anyone planing Synthetic oil after first oil change?

casaboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic touring, 2015 Kia K900
Oil was dark, not real dirty. Did not do an analysis. I have maintained my previous cars the same. I find Pennsoil Platinum Ultra is one of the top oils available. It's a personal choice.
Sponsored

fltireguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Personally I don't recall ever seeing a 0W-20 oil that wasn't synthetic. (Apart from Honda's bottle-only semi-synthetic blend, actually.) You may not have a choice.

At my local dealership they have a 0W-20 oil change (which is full synthetic) for like $36. That's where I'd recommend taking any new Honda. Unless you want to do it yourself, but even then it won't really be about saving money - Walmart 0W-20 5qt bottle is $26, plus you'd have to buy the filter and plug washer.
Valvoline makes a 0w20 blend

fltireguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Would there be a problem using 5w20 instead of 0w20?
Yes. There would be. Especially if you have ANY type of engine problem while under warranty.
The newer engines are designed for 0E20. The oil galleys are tiny. The engineers probably had a few more reasons for this.

I deal with customers at my counter every day, and I swear I explain this on a daily basis, until I am blue in the face. "Why can't I get the $19.95 oil change for my new (Honda,Toyota,GM product,etc..)"

Nothing better than the customer that has a new GM full size truck, that takes just shy of 9 quarts. Of 0w20 synthetic. "yes,sir, your oil change REALLY is $110".. LOL

fltireguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Because some dealers are unethical and offer extended powertrain warranties IF (and only if) you get oil changes done by them (and only by them) at ridiculously short intervals - but maybe that only happens in Beavercreek, Ohio. I'll be letting my extended warranty become void in short order when I don't get an oil change per their required timeline because my oil life still has 50% left.
I didn't think that was legal, under Magnuson Moss..

jmr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Coupe, 2016 RAM QC 4x4, 2016 Dart Rallye
Country flag
Anyone know what the part number is for the 1.5 Turbo oil filter?

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Sedan Touring, '18 CR-V Touring AWD
Country flag
I didn't think that was legal, under Magnuson Moss..
I don't think the manufacturer can do it under the limited warranty. An extended warranty is an insurance product. A different set of rules may apply.

ahitchcox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic
Country flag
I don't plan on using synthetic oil. In my old 2009 Civic I always just used conventional oil. I kept up with the oil changes and always got them when the maintenance minder told me to. I had a long commute everyday so I had a lot of highway miles so the maintenance minder would let me go about 6,000 miles between oil changes. The only engine maintenance I did was the regular oil changes, had the engine coolant flushed once, and then had a tune up at about 150,000 miles. With just doing that I got 190,000 out of my old Civic without a single engine problem. I know I could have gone well past 200K but I wanted to trade the car in while I could still get a couple thousand for it.

NorthernEX-T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
I don't plan on using synthetic oil. In my old 2009 Civic I always just used conventional oil. I kept up with the oil changes and always got them when the maintenance minder told me to. I had a long commute everyday so I had a lot of highway miles so the maintenance minder would let me go about 6,000 miles between oil changes. The only engine maintenance I did was the regular oil changes, had the engine coolant flushed once, and then had a tune up at about 150,000 miles. With just doing that I got 190,000 out of my old Civic without a single engine problem. I know I could have gone well past 200K but I wanted to trade the car in while I could still get a couple thousand for it.
What engine do you have?

fltireguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
What engine do you have?
You should remember that, for at off, a turbo is MUCH harder on the oil, due to the heat, and that a 2016 civic has MUCH different requirements as far as the oil goes. There are very very few (I am thinking of 2 or 3) products available in a 0W20 that are not synthetic. You might want to reconsider your choice, especially if the civics are like the accords in that the maintenance minder is at a 10000 mile interval.

ahitchcox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic
Country flag
You should remember that, for at off, a turbo is MUCH harder on the oil, due to the heat, and that a 2016 civic has MUCH different requirements as far as the oil goes. There are very very few (I am thinking of 2 or 3) products available in a 0W20 that are not synthetic. You might want to reconsider your choice, especially if the civics are like the accords in that the maintenance minder is at a 10000 mile interval.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought the oil change reminder for Hondas was tied with how you drive and not at a set interval (like every 6,000 miles). For example if you do a lot of highway driving it won't pop up for an oil change for about 6,000 miles or so, but if you do a lot of city driving or stop and go it will pop up a lot sooner. I could have sworn I read this in the manual somewhere.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought the oil change reminder for Hondas was tied with how you drive and not at a set interval (like every 6,000 miles). For example if you do a lot of highway driving it won't pop up for an oil change for about 6,000 miles or so, but if you do a lot of city driving or stop and go it will pop up a lot sooner. I could have sworn I read this in the manual somewhere.
This is definitely the case. I do a lot of city driving and my oil changes are coming at less than 4k.

RedTouringMA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Rallye Red Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
This is definitely the case. I do a lot of city driving and my oil changes are coming at less than 4k.
Wow, I have 6k on my car now, and still 50% left before an oil change, though I do mostly highway driving