Anyone else annoyed trying to dry the car after a wash?

TabsAZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX Sedan
Country flag
This might be my #1 complaint about the car at this point after a year of owning it - it's not sealed very well and I get water leaking like crazy everywhere after washing it. I'll spend a ton of time with the air gun trying to blow it out of all the crevices and cracks but as soon as I drive away and get up above 40 or so I end up with streaking all over the car, stuff blows up onto the windshield from the front end somewhere, etc. Super frustrating!
Sponsored

Tsturbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 MDX Advance SH-AWD, 2018 TLX 2.4 w/8DCT
Country flag
This might be my #1 complaint about the car at this point after a year of owning it - it's not sealed very well and I get water leaking like crazy everywhere after washing it. I'll spend a ton of time with the air gun trying to blow it out of all the crevices and cracks but as soon as I drive away and get up above 40 or so I end up with streaking all over the car, stuff blows up onto the windshield from the front end somewhere, etc. Super frustrating!
I have encountered this on every car I have owned (if I don't wipe out the jambs). I don't use an air gun, but open all doors, hood, trunk/hatch and dry/wipe out with a towel, which also keeps the jambs clean. Try it, it works!

finalnight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Basically I can hit the side mirrors and front door jam area with the exhaust of a 747 and there will still be water hitting my front windows when I get up to speed. Thats really been the one area that has been undryable for me.

SonicHB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nismo 350Z, Element SC
Country flag
I have the HB and it's one of the worst cars I've ever had for water to keep leaking from under all the plastic bits after washing. I use a small dryer to blow water out of the faux grilles, which helps.

OP
OP

TabsAZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX Sedan
Country flag
So I washed the car earlier today again - spent well over an hour after the wash thoroughly drying with my Pluffle towels and the air gun at the coin-op place. Still had water streaks running down the sides and up on the windshield after driving it home. I don't see any way to stop it, I couldn't find any spots where there was visible water with the air gun and it still happened lol.

KeNzOo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic
Country flag
Same here... how about before buffing the car, go for a quick stroll around the area to have the remaining water go away?

Rickmeister 48

First Name
Overlord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic ex-t
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have to open and shut my doors a few times to get the water to stop dripping down from around the mirrors and dry it a few times in those spots,but its usually ok after that.

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I've been doing the two bucket rinse free style washes for the first time since I got the car. I've officially retired from car washes. The only thing that could get me back is moving back to a state where they salt the roads in the winter and it's too damn cold to stay outside w/o being bundled up w/o risking death. Then yeah... car washes all the way.

MaryPellerin

First Name
Mary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lagonda
I agree with you, this is a very common issue while washing cars.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase

BarracksSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Sport Touring Hatch; '17 CR-V EX. Formerly '02 EP3.
Country flag
The real reason it's best to dry the car completely is to make sure that no leftover water leaves spots...

... but if you can manage to find water that rinses spot-free, then you've won the battle.

Spot-free water at the typical coin-operated wash bay works pretty well for me. At home, I was using a Mr. Clean car wash gun that had a filter system in the handle, and it worked even better.

They still sell it, too. You don't have to use their soap solution (I always refilled mine with some Meguire's stuff), but the filter is where the magic happens, as the saying goes.
https://www.amazon.com/Mr-Clean-AutoDry-System-Starter/dp/B0006M56CE

relentlessX

First Name
Angelo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX Sedan
Common with every vehicle, it's just that the civic has a lot of plastic inserts. I solved this issue by getting a Worx Turbine Blower. Made a big difference!

CivicChina

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5t 6MT Cosmic Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
i drive around the parking lot and slam on the brakes a couple of times in both directions to drain as much water as possible before drying with microfi er.

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
Basically I can hit the side mirrors and front door jam area with the exhaust of a 747 and there will still be water hitting my front windows when I get up to speed. Thats really been the one area that has been undryable for me.
Maybe you just need a BIGGER Blower ?

Honda Civic 10th gen Anyone else annoyed trying to dry the car after a wash? 4148lwmonster_35hp_lfq_2014-07-2375

However, I find the smaller one we got from Lowes is more than adequate.

Honda Civic 10th gen Anyone else annoyed trying to dry the car after a wash? 885911472500

$34.98

• 7 amp motor provides a powerful and efficient blowing performance

• Up to 180 mph/180-CFM for fast and easy cleanup of leaves and debris

• Lightweight at only 4.4 lbs for easy 1-handed use
( don't think the Si will get to that 180 mph to compete with the blowing action at that speed, even if you tune the hell out of it !!)

All it needs is a little Foam around the end of the Nozzle, so if you touch the paintwork by mistake, you do not scratch it with it's hard plastic Nozzle

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
The real reason it's best to dry the car completely is to make sure that no leftover water leaves spots...

... but if you can manage to find water that rinses spot-free, then you've won the battle.

Spot-free water at the typical coin-operated wash bay works pretty well for me. At home, I was using a Mr. Clean car wash gun that had a filter system in the handle, and it worked even better.

They still sell it, too. You don't have to use their soap solution (I always refilled mine with some Meguire's stuff), but the filter is where the magic happens, as the saying goes.
https://www.amazon.com/Mr-Clean-AutoDry-System-Starter/dp/B0006M56CE
Not convinced that a Filter can be as effective as Reverse Osmosis systems that they typically use in a "Spot-free water coin-operated wash bays"

However, if it works for you, that great .. far more convenient at home :)

see: http://www.purewaterproducts.com/articles/spot-free-car-wash/
Sponsored