Any Sense Of How Many CTRs Each Dealer Will Get?

A2typeR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si sedan (TSP stage 1) 2016 Mazda Miata Club (Brembo BBS pack)
Country flag
In other word it's just your opinion and not factual... thanks.
Yeah basically a way of saying no one knows.

Everyone is speculating at this point unless you are a member of Honda Corporate or a CTR production team member.

But I used my vast knowledge of performance Hot Hatch markets and also the numbers from previous Type R production to gauge that this vehicle is going to be more rare than people think.

You don't have to be a genius to see Honda isn't going make 1 million CTRs.

The only reason there will still be some avaible is dealers are going to charge ADM. some people will pay, MOST will not.

Also due to the fact that the sub 40k vehicle market is super saturated with plenty of other options combined with the fact Honda designed a radical looking car that is also a manual limits to mostly enthusiest.

So around 3k CTRs are coming to the US plus or minus a thousand or 2.

This means very few per dealer.

Anyone hoping Honda is making 10000 for the US market is in for a rude awakening.

So yes they will be rare. Yes some dealers will charge Markup. No I think most people will pay MSRP. No most people who wait aren't gonna be able to get if for much lower than MSRP.

If anyone has facts that dispute my statements I would love to see them.

But until then all we have are our opinions.

So I made an educated guess.

Good day
Sponsored

NorthernEX-T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
In other word it's just your opinion and not factual... thanks.
Seeing as you just joined the forum yesterday, you might want to have some evidence before you start calling out our valuable members on this forum. Just saying.

bobafettm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Lotus Exige; 2018 & 2021 Honda Type R
Country flag
Dealers may have NO IDEA what they will receive we can at least verify that the previous model Type R was not built on a large production scale. Sure it wasn't as much of a flagship as this FK8 will be but from everything I've read about the factory they simply retooled and did not expand the buildings capacity or assembly lines.

I don't see how they would dramatically ramp up production to handle large numbers from the same line as the previous FK2...

Unless someone has statements otherwise... Honda has released that they retooled on the same line as the previous model.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Miata
Dealers may have NO IDEA what they will receive we can at least verify that the previous model Type R was not built on a large production scale. Sure it wasn't as much of a flagship as this FK8 will be but from everything I've read about the factory they simply retooled and did not expand the buildings capacity or assembly lines.

I don't see how they would dramatically ramp up production to handle large numbers from the same line as the previous FK2...

Unless someone has statements otherwise... Honda has released that they retooled on the same line as the previous model.
I don't think you fully understand how a modern automobile production line works. The Swindon plant is a good example of a multi-model production line that can (in it's current configuration) output 150,000 cars a year. When Honda's manufacturing plans are complete (end of 2017) this facility will have the ability to produce 150,000 Civic hatchbacks in any combination of hatchback variants. There is not a "separate" production line that only produces CTRs. The 200+ million that Honda recently invested in Swindon (retooling) was to modernize the entire facility and make it more efficient. If demand was there, they could produce 150,000 CTRs in 2018 and not make any other hatchback variants. That obviously won't happen, but 10,000 to 20,000 is certainly possible if demand makes it feasible.

This link is a brief intro on modern production lines - https://www.fool.com/investing/gene...to-tesla-motors-how-the-automotive-assem.aspx

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Aiming for 400whp out of the TypeR.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Black CTR #4071, 16 MDX Tech
Country flag
I agree with what you're saying...but Honda did say they were making the new hatch for USDM along side the old hatch for EU- the reason for the delayed release to EU. Not sure what is really the case, but I'm picturing it as a philosophically parallel line. Surely they aren't running both cars on the same physical line.

All this said and the only plant even close to this type that I've been in was the Volvo truck engine plant in Hagarstown MD. That was a single line from start to finish.

BABear70

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017' Honda Civic Type R in Ralley Red R-04344, 2016' Honda Civic Touring Sedan in Ralley Red, 1997' Honda Civic CX Hatchback in Electron Blue Pearl
Country flag
I still believe it's going to be extremely low production and very hard to get the first 2 years at least...

I like that and I hate that at the same time.

Considering I'm number two in line at the dealer I used to work at, I'm worried about actually getting one. Might have to compromise in color to get one...

I hope we will find out availability at or before the NY International Auto Show...

BA

jdmk20akid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1995 Civic w/ B18c5, 2016 Honda Accord EX w/ Honda Sensing
Country flag
Yeah I've tried to get information from my dealerships owner who went to the meeting in DC. He said that he signed a document promising that he wouldn't say anything. All he told me is "Good thing you put a deposit down when you did, because we might not even get another one this year", this was also coming from the same owner that made fun of me for putting a deposit down a year and a half ago when this TYPE R was a rumor. He typically makes fun of me for being a "Honda Nerd", but he was genuinely concerned about how few of these are going to be produced. Statements like, "It just sucks that Honda has finally made a badass car, but there might be dealerships that don't even get another one for the rest of the year after the initial ones get here".

He also mentioned that at the meeting Honda even recognized how few of these there will be (didn't give me any kind of number but I could tell he knew), that they were telling dealership principals to please not mark them much over MSRP when they know that they easily could.

I even told him how many I guessed would be produced (which some of the members here know I've stated I think we'd get around 2000-2500 per year), and he laughed at that. Not in a comical way as though I came painfully close, or assumed too little. He laughed as though we'd be lucky to get even that.

Once again, I really hope that I'm wrong about the availability of these cars. But i don't think that I am.

PS: I also had a friend of mine who works higher up in another dealership as a manager call me and ask me if we planned on marking them up over MSRP, "seeing that we now know how few there will be". So maybe he knows something that I don't. I'll keep asking for more information from him, because in his position he would surely know how many are planning to be made, but I'm starting to get to the point that I don't want to keep asking because I'm not liking the answers.
Just quoted my response from another thread, I felt like it also pertained to this thread as well.

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Just quoted my response from another thread, I felt like it also pertained to this thread as well.
This agrees. Salesman I talked to today (dudes been with Honda for I think he said 18 or 28 years I forget) said they expect 2 this year (2017MY) and then the US will get 300/month starting in 2018 (which I suppose could mean when 2018MY begins?)
They won't take a deposit because they can't decide how much over MSRP they're going to go.

bobafettm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Lotus Exige; 2018 & 2021 Honda Type R
Country flag
This agrees. Salesman I talked to today (dudes been with Honda for I think he said 18 or 28 years I forget) said they expect 2 this year (2017MY) and then the US will get 300/month starting in 2018 (which I suppose could mean when 2018MY begins?)
They won't take a deposit because they can't decide how much over MSRP they're going to go.
Brian where do you live? What state at least... good to see what states are really pushing the mark up

A2typeR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si sedan (TSP stage 1) 2016 Mazda Miata Club (Brembo BBS pack)
Country flag
Brian where do you live? What state at least... good to see what states are really pushing the mark up
Pretty sure on the intial surge of units hitting the shore it will unfortunately be most of them...

After time of who knows how many months and years long after the 50 people on here have bought most of theirs for MSRP, and the cars sitting in the same spots while new STis and MK8 Golf Rs are hitting 400 HP stock.

Honda will say wtf were we thinking and start planning the 2022 Honda CTR with AWD and more power...

Should be plenty avaible this time in 2018.

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I'm in York PA. The guy I talked to today really made it sound like the dealers needed to 'stick together' in the plan to markup. He didn't say that specifically, but just the tone of the conversation I guess. Of course he wasn't there, so it's all 2nd or 3rd hand.

Pretty sure on the intial surge of units hitting the shore it will unfortunately be most of them...

After time of who knows how many months and years long after the 50 people on here have bought most of theirs for MSRP, and the cars sitting in the same spots while new STis and MK8 Golf Rs are hitting 400 HP stock.

Honda will say wtf were we thinking and start planning the 2022 Honda CTR with AWD and more power...

Should be plenty avaible this time in 2018.
I believe we will see an Acura version with AWD...!

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Does anybody think they'll make the cars so that you actually do 'order' it through Honda.com but pick it up at the closest lot?

BABear70

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017' Honda Civic Type R in Ralley Red R-04344, 2016' Honda Civic Touring Sedan in Ralley Red, 1997' Honda Civic CX Hatchback in Electron Blue Pearl
Country flag
Does anybody think they'll make the cars so that you actually do 'order' it through Honda.com but pick it up at the closest lot?
No... All vehicles are sold by dealers and not the manufacturer.

Believe it or not it's the current law.

BA

NorthernEX-T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
It would be nice if Honda gives us something along these lines too..
Honda Civic 10th gen Any Sense Of How Many CTRs Each Dealer Will Get? IMG_0831.JPG

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
It would be nice if Honda gives us something along these lines too..
IMG_0831.JPG
Yeah right. They probably won't even give a first oil change.
Sponsored