Any Sense Of How Many CTRs Each Dealer Will Get?

s2kdriver80

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY21 FK8 Honda Civic Type R, MY03 AP1 Honda S2000
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
You have to think like an auto executive. The Type-R is not the Honda Corp "Halo" car. That role is fulfilled by the NSX. The Civic brand is tied to reliability and value and the Type-R is the sporting representative of that. We would need to bring in a Honda Exec for a final answer, but I don't see a diminished profit on Type-Rs. Remember, we are talking Honda Corp profit, not dealer profit.

Looking at shipping, a modern container ship can carry tens of thousands of automobile engines at a time. The average container ship can transport over 3,500 containers at a time and each container can hold many engines. The largest container ships can have over 15,000 containers per voyage. Moving 10,000 automobile engines in a single voyage is trivial if that is what Honda decided to do.

Please also note that I did not quote the "make as many" statement. I used an actual quote from John Mendel (American Honda Executive VP) that stated "a couple thousand a month". I don't see any ambiguity in that statement. Continuing on the Honda statement front, they actually said their initial US hatchback sales target (all variants) is 50,000/year. Bear in mind that hatchbacks are more popular in other parts of the world than the US so that is a reasonable contribution to an eventual 250,000/year production total. A final note on Swindon, the plant is currently fully capable of producing 150,000 cars a year. Restoring the second line would bring capacity to 250,000/year.

All in all, the business case for 10,000 to 20,000 Type-Rs a year is clear.
I'd be pretty nervous putting all of my Type R engines for the year in one basket, lest something were to happen to the ship. :eek:
Sponsored

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Aiming for 400whp out of the TypeR.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Black CTR #4071, 16 MDX Tech
Country flag

jdmk20akid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1995 Civic w/ B18c5, 2016 Honda Accord EX w/ Honda Sensing
Country flag
You have to think like an auto executive. The Type-R is not the Honda Corp "Halo" car. That role is fulfilled by the NSX. The Civic brand is tied to reliability and value and the Type-R is the sporting representative of that. We would need to bring in a Honda Exec for a final answer, but I don't see a diminished profit on Type-Rs. Remember, we are talking Honda Corp profit, not dealer profit.

Looking at shipping, a modern container ship can carry tens of thousands of automobile engines at a time. The average container ship can transport over 3,500 containers at a time and each container can hold many engines. The largest container ships can have over 15,000 containers per voyage. Moving 10,000 automobile engines in a single voyage is trivial if that is what Honda decided to do.

Please also note that I did not quote the "make as many" statement. I used an actual quote from John Mendel (American Honda Executive VP) that stated "a couple thousand a month". I don't see any ambiguity in that statement. Continuing on the Honda statement front, they actually said their initial US hatchback sales target (all variants) is 50,000/year. Bear in mind that hatchbacks are more popular in other parts of the world than the US so that is a reasonable contribution to an eventual 250,000/year production total. A final note on Swindon, the plant is currently fully capable of producing 150,000 cars a year. Restoring the second line would bring capacity to 250,000/year.

All in all, the business case for 10,000 to 20,000 Type-Rs a year is clear.
The NSX is the Halo car for Acura in the US. And the Civic Type R is going to represent Honda's Halo performance car, at least until an S2k successor arrives. We'll just have to see when they come out.

The debate between how available these are going to be is pointless right now. I do in fact hope that I'm wrong about the availability, I just have a gut feeling that I'm not.

ayau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Country flag
Just speculation...

Honda has said many times that they designed the 10th gen platform with the Type R in mind. Therefore, it would be reasonable to infer the base hatchback is a much more capabable chassis than it's predecessor. I think most people would agree with that statement.

Since the Type R is using a better base chassis, then one can reasonably infer that the "cost" to make the Type R was less than its predecessor. From a business perspective, I think that was one of the reasons why Honda was able to bring the CTR to US and Canada since we all know Honda won't be making much off of these cars.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Miata
[QUOTE the Civic Type R is going to represent Honda's Halo performance car, at least until an S2k successor arrives.[/QUOTE]

Minor point, but try a Google search on "Honda Halo Car". There is page after page of NSX references, some "New S2K" could become one references and not a single mention of a Type-R. In the Honda branding scheme no Civic variant will ever be a Halo car. Enthusiasts will, more than likely, love the car but the corporate/marketing types that determine sales goals and production levels look at mainstream perspectives. Fortunately, the final outcome of this discussion will be known by autumn by counting the number of Type-Rs then available at dealers.

A2typeR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si sedan (TSP stage 1) 2016 Mazda Miata Club (Brembo BBS pack)
Country flag
Pure speculation... mixed with a little common sense... as well as a market adjustment for inflation and changes concerning the USD and gross production divided by the supply and demand reciprocal of each dealership and and quantitative sum of each buyer...multiplied by the factor of gross supply again added to the sheer rareness as well as the most important cool factor of the wing.

It comes out to about 1.2 vehicles per dealer so I just rounded down to 1 to out it in layman terms.

jpmelfi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR #706, 07 S2k
Country flag
Pure speculation... mixed with a little common sense... as well as a market adjustment for inflation and changes concerning the USD and gross production divided by the supply and demand reciprocal of each dealership and and quantitative sum of each buyer...multiplied by the factor of gross supply again added to the sheer rareness as well as the most important cool factor of the wing.

It comes out to about 1.2 vehicles per dealer so I just rounded down to 1 to out it in layman terms.
oh

Solis#1730

ScarFace#1730
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic hatchback
Country flag

In other word it's just your opinion and not factual... thanks.
Sponsored