Any idea on how many Type R model years / generations for the US market ?

s2kdriver80

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY21 FK8 Honda Civic Type R, MY03 AP1 Honda S2000
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Has there been any revealed information on how long the CTR will be available for the US market? Will it be available every year for the 10th generation once it is released? Will there be US Type Rs for future generations?

I'm not in dire need for a new car so I might just wait it out until probably the last 10th gen year for them to flesh out all of the shakedown issues and to possibly add some enhancements. I did the same with my 2003 S2000 which btw was probably the best AP1 model (closed out all TSBs and made some improvements).
Sponsored

JYR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
8th gen Si
Country flag
I think Honda is just beginning another performance segment. Lets not forget that there have been hints of a Ridgeline R and a new S2000 model. With companies offering several performance vehicles, Honda needs to be a player in this segment once again and I think they realize that.

I myself am itching at the bit to get another performance orientated Honda as a DD. I'm not so much worried about what Honda will offer as much as I am the people who think they need my car more than I do.

For that reason, I think I will allow the dust settle for a few years before pulling the trigger, unless my dealer makes me a killer deal on the new Si to get me out of my VW TDi. That said, I will still be a little hesitant.

jk147

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Ridgeline R..

Honda should really focus on offering performance variants of their Acura line.

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Aiming for 400whp out of the TypeR.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Black CTR #4071, 16 MDX Tech
Country flag
Ridgeline R..

Honda should really focus on offering performance variants of their Acura line.
Exactly. I saw Acura created a TLX performance package - the GT maybe? I don't know the letters, doesn't matter. It's a lip kit from what I can tell. No improvement to the engine output, exhaust, or transmission.

Xyrex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'86 Honda Prelude
Meanwhile I'm solidly of the opinion that Honda should rethink Acura as both its performance and luxury brand, because frankly they aren't the best at either currently. Id much rather see SH-AWD in standard Honda models like the Civic and Accord than exclusively in their Acura counterparts. An SH-AWD Civic Type R would be something of a game changer. Acura either needs to be dropped or revised because as it stands its just keeping the best technology out of the regular Honda lineup.

thaseint

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 VW GTI SE
Country flag
Meanwhile I'm solidly of the opinion that Honda should rethink Acura as both its performance and luxury brand, because frankly they aren't the best at either currently. Id much rather see SH-AWD in standard Honda models like the Civic and Accord than exclusively in their Acura counterparts. An SH-AWD Civic Type R would be something of a game changer. Acura either needs to be dropped or revised because as it stands its just keeping the best technology out of the regular Honda lineup.
Hear, hear!

Honda needs to seriously kill Acura, it's holding the company back. I mean seriously it's just a bunch of dressed up Civics, Accords and CRVs...and in many ways Acura fails to even beat those models! The highest trim Accord beats the mid-level trim TLX in nearly ever category and does it for a couple grand less! The highest trim Civic does nearly the same thing to the ILX (aside from the DCT). If someone is in the market for a luxury car I'm really not sure why anyone would even consider Acura. If it was reliability I could understand but Lexus has Acura beat by a mile. So I have to ask what's the point?

Okay, so it has the NSX which is selling for super car money around here (quick check shows the lowest priced NSX @ $199k). Not really sure who the car is marketed for...I mean if you have $200k to spend on a sports car...why buy a Honda (err I mean Acura)?

The only thing going for Acura at this point is DCT and SH-AWD...let it go Honda.

Maximum6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S2000 2005, Type R 2019
Country flag
I would be pretty stoked if they have SH-AWD and DCT in the new S2000 or a Type R

NoelPR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' Ridgeline RTL-E (Thanks to the CTR markups)
Country flag
Paging @HondaPro. Please please please get info on this and also question whether or not CTR will be in limited quantity only.

CC: @HondaPro Jason
Seriously?
His sources are bogus.
Dont forget that he said that the SI was going to have a detuned 2.0lt.

This is too early to tell. We dont even know the specs of the SI or CTR yet and they are about to be released in a few months. Dont quote people out there that keep saying that they know someone inside Honda. Those are the most uninformed of all tired of seeing happening.

Hypnotoad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Juke, Acura TL
Country flag
I think a Honda exec blabbed at some point about how many they intended to make per year. It sounded like quite a bit of volume so if that's to be believed it should be around as long as there is demand... and as long as they don't need the factory capacity for regular hatchback demand.

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Aiming for 400whp out of the TypeR.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Black CTR #4071, 16 MDX Tech
Country flag
I think a Honda exec blabbed at some point about how many they intended to make per year. It sounded like quite a bit of volume so if that's to be believed it should be around as long as there is demand... and as long as they don't need the factory capacity for regular hatchback demand.
Agreed - I think I heard/saw Sage say they would make whatever the market would accept.

Hypnotoad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Juke, Acura TL
Country flag
Well, the major caveat there is the plant capacity. A year ago a friend was considering buying a Honda Fit. The dealer said he was lucky to get one a month and it was sold before it was unwrapped. Honda was too busy making HRV's to keep up with Fit demand.

Will the Type R margin be higher than a regular hatch? I assume capacity cost is one for one with the other hatch trims.
Sponsored