Any hypermilers here?

UberCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Modern Steel Civic EX-L 2006 Highlander Hybrid 2002 Honda Insight 2000 Audi A6 2.7t
Country flag
The bold print is one of the biggest aggravating things from those who hypermile. Try being behind one of those idiots when you are on a large motorcycle, they keep creeping forward and you have to keep stopping and going in order to keep balance. Those who hypermile end up causing more fuel to be used than if they just drove normal because they just piss off everyone around them to the point they are foot to floor just get around them.
Not even close to true, this type of hypermiling actually keeps the flow of traffic moving steady and helps all those around them. Hurrying up to stop just causes more traffic as ripple effect and actually creates traffic jams, there are actual scientific studies on this. I have friends who are civil engineers who studied this stuff in college. I routinely see traffic behind correct itself following my pace instead of the morons who are all throttle and brakes who effectively drive slower than I do.
Sponsored

UberCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Modern Steel Civic EX-L 2006 Highlander Hybrid 2002 Honda Insight 2000 Audi A6 2.7t
Country flag
Because you can't they are pulling this crap while being 30 car lengths back from the car in front of them so you end up having to keep pulling forward over and over until they finally reach the car in front of them.
Those are not hypermilers, they are people texting while driving who don't pay attention when the line moves. I see them everyday and I hate them more than you do.

OP
OP
gunbunnysoulja

gunbunnysoulja

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Not even close to true, this type of hypermiling actually keeps the flow of traffic moving steady and helps all those around them. Hurrying up to stop just causes more traffic as ripple effect and actually creates traffic jams, there are actual scientific studies on this. I have friends who are civil engineers who studied this stuff in college. I routinely see traffic behind correct itself following my pace instead of the morons who are all throttle and brakes who effectively drive slower than I do.
On my drive yesterday, I was honked at twice while slowly approaching the red light and they sped around me. I happily waved to them as I passed their stopped vehicle lol

turbo lover

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
Those are not hypermilers, they are people texting while driving who don't pay attention when the line moves. I see them everyday and I hate them more than you do.
Agree, those are not hypermilers.

Quicksipper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16' EX-T, 05' LX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I've found that maintaining 2k RPMs method for long trips yields great results, but recently around town I've been doing the accelerate at 2k until speed limit then do cruise control.. So far I've been getting 37 city 52hwy. The reason I accelerate at 2k is because in eco it tops out around 2k so it seems it's the more efficient way of acceleration.. Without going terribly slow. It's also efficient enough for larger hills.

UberCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
On my drive yesterday, I was honked at twice while slowly approaching the red light and they sped around me. I happily waved to them as I passed their stopped vehicle lol
This happens to me daily, but without the honking usually. I am usually doing 5 over the limit too and when in traffic accelerate at a decent rate, just coast up to lights that are red and have people that I just passed pass me back just to slam on their brakes. A few seconds later I am flying by them at the green light doing 50 in the fast lane while they are stopped three cars deep.

Last edited:

Quicksipper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16' EX-T, 05' LX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Very true, I just watched a video on this the other day, not to worry everyone will be stuck in their self driving vehicles in a couple of decades and those who want to drive fast will have to take It to the track.

DavidJBrooks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Honda Accord Sedan 6-6, 2008 Honda Pilot
Country flag
Neither speed nor rate of acceleration are primarily causes of traffic - too many brake lights, inefficient merging (read: aggressive idiots racing to the front of the queue) and failure to maintain a consistent and appropriate velocity are. Both aggressive drivers and hypermilers are frequently to blame.

As long as we have people who feel their only responsibility is to themselves and their own schedule (both those who are in too much of a hurry AND those who feel that they can drive the speed limit in the fast lane for whatever selfish reason), we will have traffic. On the road, your responsibility is to the entire motoring public, and you need to behave accordingly.

Self-driving cars will reduce traffic, save money, save lives, reduce pollution, and reduce energy usage - and I don't give a rat's ass. I will be driving my manual transmission-ed, internal-combustion powered, built-out-of-steel, privately-owned, four-wheeled vehicle until the steering wheel is pried from my cold, dead, wrinkly old hands.

I will put my soapbox away now.

OP
OP
gunbunnysoulja

gunbunnysoulja

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
As long as we have people who feel their only responsibility is to themselves and their own schedule (both those who are in too much of a hurry AND those who feel that they can drive the speed limit in the fast lane for whatever selfish reason), we will have traffic. On the road, your responsibility is to the entire motoring public, and you need to behave accordingly.
I agree. I make sure not to hinder the flow of traffic. On single lane roads, I will usually do 5 mph over, as I know FL allows that without fear of ticket. On the highway, they are usually 3-6 lanes here. I am always 2nd from the right, as all the way right is usually reserved for exiting traffic. I would never do the speed limit in the left lane.

I think far too many people have road rage though. They are too busy doing 20 mph over the speed limit, weaving in and out of traffic, and flying up as soon as possible to red lights. It's really intense to drive that way. I'll continue putting along and staying in my lane.

OP
OP
gunbunnysoulja

gunbunnysoulja

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Anyone here kill the engine at red lights? I know you can re-start in neutral, and ACC remains on when switching to N and then killing the engine so music/fan still works. Downside is it seems to cause issues for me when using Android Auto, as it seems to disconnect.

UberCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Anyone here kill the engine at red lights? I know you can re-start in neutral, and ACC remains on when switching to N and then killing the engine so music/fan still works. Downside is it seems to cause issues for me when using Android Auto, as it seems to disconnect.
I do that once in a great while when I know it's a long light but I rarely stop at those. I do it all the time though when I drive Uber and Lyft and am waiting for a fare. I don't use android auto much at all, only on long trips so I haven't experienced that. My BT phone link keeps working though.

OP
OP
gunbunnysoulja

gunbunnysoulja

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
I do that once in a great while when I know it's a long light but I rarely stop at those. I do it all the time though when I drive Uber and Lyft and am waiting for a fare. I don't use android auto much at all, only on long trips so I haven't experienced that. My BT phone link keeps working though.
Yea in my small town, the lights are usually 15 seconds or less, so I don't bother, but when I go to Tampa weekly to visit friends, the lights there can be like 3 minutes, which is just insane.

UberCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Yea in my small town, the lights are usually 15 seconds or less, so I don't bother, but when I go to Tampa weekly to visit friends, the lights there can be like 3 minutes, which is just insane.
Where do you live? I went to HS in Ocala, and my wife is from there. Most of my family lives in Tampa, but I am in Michigan now. You are Jeff B on Clean MPG so I can see some details, but curious.
Sponsored