Any hypermilers here?

gunbunnysoulja

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Just curious if any other people are trying to get superb mpg's out of their Civic?

I believe bubbaleenc and ubercivic are 2 that I know of that are really good at efficient driving but was curious if anyone else here was in the 60+ mpg club.
Sponsored

Jay.DeVries

Yee Yee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Ive tried pretty hard but I just cant fight the urge to get into boost. Best Ive gotten over a more than hour long drive was 52mpg

OP
OP
gunbunnysoulja

gunbunnysoulja

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Ive tried pretty hard but I just cant fight the urge to get into boost. Best Ive gotten over a more than hour long drive was 52mpg
haha boost is super fun in this car, I agree. Coming from a 16 Mustang, I like to drive fast at times too.

52 is definitely a great number. I typically get low 60's on hour plus drives, usually at least high 50's pending if I'm on a 70 mph highway which makes it harder. I am looking forward to a cross-country trip from FL to MA in the near future, so I'm excited to see what it can do. I typically do better on really long commutes. In my 15 Corolla, I got 62 mpg from FL to NC (715 miles) and that isn't nearly as efficient as the 1.5T.

kperalta

AluminiumCivic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
haha boost is super fun in this car, I agree. Coming from a 16 Mustang, I like to drive fast at times too.

52 is definitely a great number. I typically get low 60's on hour plus drives, usually at least high 50's pending if I'm on a 70 mph highway which makes it harder. I am looking forward to a cross-country trip from FL to MA in the near future, so I'm excited to see what it can do. I typically do better on really long commutes. In my 15 Corolla, I got 62 mpg from FL to NC (715 miles) and that isn't nearly as efficient as the 1.5T.
If you don't mind, would you explain your driving in achieving that high of mileage? We're planning a trip and I'd love to get that gas mileage.

OP
OP
gunbunnysoulja

gunbunnysoulja

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
If you don't mind, would you explain your driving in achieving that high of mileage? We're planning a trip and I'd love to get that gas mileage.
I got all my advice from cleanmpg.com (Wayne Gerdes is the creator and basically the best hypermiler around) but I don't follow most of the normal hypermiling techniques like maintaining throttle control with my foot (I'd get even better mileage if I did), or driving with load which means maintaining throttle pressure regardless of terrain (ie. maintain 50 mph on flat, up a hill go down to 45, slowly resume back up to 50 after the hill, etc) or other techniques such as pulse and glide, meaning if target speed is 50, go up to 55, coast down to 45, and work your way back, etc...

What I do, in this car, is not difficult at all. Keep the car in ECO, and use cruise control whenever possible. Light throttle at all times, sometimes if no one is behind me I'll just use cruise control to accelerate which is basically replicating hypermiling throttle while in ECO as it's very gradual and keeps RPM's low. I never go over 2k RPMs. Ever. I don't race to red lights.. If I see a light in the distance, I anticipate it changing and will slow down and coast all the way to the light. When it turns green, I slowly accelerate and NEVER jack rabbit start.

Really, just basic economical driving is all it takes to get 60+ mpg. However, the real key is keeping the vehicle in the target speed that maximizes fuel efficiency. I find the best speed to be 45 mph. Even when I go up slight hills at that speed, the car doesn't use added fuel or require higher RPM's. The momentum is just great at that speed while minimizing drag. If you do the same at say 30 mph, you need quite a bit more RPMs and fuel to get over the same hill. And if going 65-70, the drag is increased so much that you are just wasting fuel so I tend to try to avoid the FL 70 mph highways or else I can't get over 50 typically. I have noticed using maps and avoiding highways tends to get me home at roughly the same or similar time by taking 45-50 mph roads (bonus is it also usually avoids tolls) and I get far better mileage.

Jay.DeVries

Yee Yee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The interestates near me are all 80mph. So that hurts it.

Jay.DeVries

Yee Yee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm usually at 43 at 80mph.

Jay.DeVries

Yee Yee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The instant fluctuates a lot. But the overall mpg is what I'm get 43 at 80mph

OP
OP
gunbunnysoulja

gunbunnysoulja

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
The instant fluctuates a lot. But the overall mpg is what I'm get 43 at 80mph
Awesome. Yes it definitely does. I have a pretty good chart that shows the mpg at different speeds from cleanmpg.

Only thing I wish our car had was stop/start. That would be a game changer for me.

I've looked into voyomotives aftermarket option but I don't think it'll do what I want.

Jay.DeVries

Yee Yee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
To be honest, you will get your best mpg if you are next to a semi, a car length back from its front bumper. Awesome mpg. Not safe at all though.

OP
OP
gunbunnysoulja

gunbunnysoulja

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
To be honest, you will get your best mpg if you are next to a semi, a car length back from its front bumper. Awesome mpg. Not safe at all though.
I don't think I've tried that, being next to it. I know I don't do the behind a semi thing though lol

Jay.DeVries

Yee Yee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Watch your instant mpg when you pass a semi. Rockets up there when you get in the sweet spot next to it. It's like drafting in NASCAR lol

VI001101106

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
I've got close to 20k miles on my EX-T and overall MPG is currently 38 with lots of freeway driving during the week, but also heavy city driving on the weekends. Car's always on ECON mode unless I want to put the Turbo to use (which is not that often, but still).

Just recently it was up to 38.6MPG overall, but extended city driving with AC on auto brought me down to 38, and it takes a while to get it back to the old level.

I have an 80-mile commute for work. In the mornings with no traffic, the car's set to 60MPH cruise as soon as I hop on the freeway and it usually gets 56-57MPG for a 45 minute drive. On the way back, it usually takes me twice as long so MPGs obviously aren't as high.
Sponsored