Android Auto - Problems and Possible Solution

reheat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Touring
Country flag
I've been having a lot of trouble with Android Auto. I use a Note 5 for a phone and the entire experience has been very buggy to say the least. I've had problems ranging from blank screens, incomplete loading, need to reconnect on startup, all the way to it dropping connection from my phone after approx. 15 minutes repeatedly needing re-connection (although it kept sending cached map info... but nothing else).

Needless to say I wasn't too impressed with AA although I haven't had any of the other reported problems with the rest of the system.

However, in doing some trouble shooting I may have found a solution. Recently I've noticed that I've been receiving App Optimization popups. After doing some research I disabled Android Auto from the list of apps being optimized by this process. (settings - battery - app optimization detail). I also made sure I had a better quality usb cable hooked up.

After doing this I've had 5 days of flawless AA performance... Hopefully this continues as it's been a great experience. (I also hope I won't be back in this thread reporting otherwise).

Hopefully this can help someone that has been having more specific AA troubles.
Sponsored

Elsith

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring in Lunar Silver Metallic
I'll have to give this a shot. As of last night Android Auto will not connect at all and it's not recognizing my Samsung 6 Edge+.

OP
OP

reheat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Touring
Country flag
After a month this solution has been working well for me. No more regular disconnects.

I've been using android auto quite a bit and find it works well.

The only issue I have now is Spotify sometimes seems to disconnect from the voice input. For example I say play some song or band, it searches, and then it just comes back with "spotify doesn't appear to be working right now" and I can no longer make voice inputs. If I delete the cache and data on the phone for spotify it starts to work again. I read that this is a known bug. Hopefully fixed soon.

Elsith

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring in Lunar Silver Metallic
After a month this solution has been working well for me. No more regular disconnects.

I've been using android auto quite a bit and find it works well.

The only issue I have now is Spotify sometimes seems to disconnect from the voice input. For example I say play some song or band, it searches, and then it just comes back with "spotify doesn't appear to be working right now" and I can no longer make voice inputs. If I delete the cache and data on the phone for spotify it starts to work again. I read that this is a known bug. Hopefully fixed soon.
Unfortunately this didn't fix my problem, but after I reset the factory settings it's working now, but I left the optimization unchecked just in case the optimization caused a problem. So far so good. I also installed the Honda Link about the time when my problem occurred, so I'm not sure if that contributed to the issue as well. I reinstalled the Honda Link anyway, hopefully it was not the problem, I do like the little features it has.

toxaris

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX 6MT
Country flag
I have an HTC One and enabling Debugging Options and then checking: Enable USB debugging did the trick. Android Auto launches every time, including when I start the car and the phone is connected

OP
OP

reheat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Touring
Country flag
I'll have to try that. On my note 5 I can't start the car with it plugged in... I have to wait until the head unit loads up on start.

deputy1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring Sedan
I'll have to try that. On my note 5 I can't start the car with it plugged in... I have to wait until the head unit loads up on start.
I also have the Note 5, and after having some initial hiccups with Android Auto, it has performed flawlessly lately. I have USB debugging set to on under developer options, and I turn on location and Bluetooth prior to plugging in the phone. Seems to have solved my issues.

deputy1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I also have the Note 5, and after having some initial hiccups with Android Auto, it has performed flawlessly lately. I have USB debugging set to on under developer options, and I turn on location and Bluetooth prior to plugging in the phone. Seems to have solved my issues.
Update!!! My Android Auto doesn't connect to my Note 5 for some reason. It was working flawlessly the other day until I stopped for gas. After I started the car, it would not connect to the phone. I'm not sure if it's the car or the phone, but regardless, it's very irritating.

nboyanov

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Country flag
Update!!! My Android Auto doesn't connect to my Note 5 for some reason. It was working flawlessly the other day until I stopped for gas. After I started the car, it would not connect to the phone. I'm not sure if it's the car or the phone, but regardless, it's very irritating.
Did you ever figure this out?
Mine worked for a few days and now I'm back to getting "USB Charging Error" causing it to disconnect then reconnect constantly. Moto X Pure (6.0)

deputy1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I got it working. I rebooted the system on the Civic, and it seems to be working now. I'm bringing the car in Friday for a whole new touchscreen. I can honestly say I'm not sure if it's fixed or not. I'm thinking it's more an Android Auto issue.

maxboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring NBP
I got it working. I rebooted the system on the Civic, and it seems to be working now. I'm bringing the car in Friday for a whole new touchscreen. I can honestly say I'm not sure if it's fixed or not. I'm thinking it's more an Android Auto issue.
I found this issue too, sometime it won't connect and my phone confused which it tried and gave up.

And here is my finding.

If you shut down the car with the phone connect (AA active, on screen, not background), and next time you start the car without the phone, the infotainment unit will say no device connected, and it won't accept the phone anyway (not until reboot).

Workaround: Before you shut down the car with AA active, press "HOME" on infotainment unit to exit AA, then unplug the phone. You can shut down the car after that.

So next time you start the car, it doesn't matter if you plug in the phone or not before/after the car started, AA will detect the phone as soon as you connect your phone.

verdict: my guess is, infotainment unit got confuse with the phone plugged in with AA active when shut down the car. Next time it to establish the EXACT same connection (or say RESUME). So it won't start AA as new connection (or say start a new session), hence got stuck.

So my workaround will disconnect AA and end the session and the system knows because I unplug the phone while the infotainment unit is still on.

nboyanov

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Country flag
I found this issue too, sometime it won't connect and my phone confused which it tried and gave up.

And here is my finding.

If you shut down the car with the phone connect (AA active, on screen, not background), and next time you start the car without the phone, the infotainment unit will say no device connected, and it won't accept the phone anyway (not until reboot).

Workaround: Before you shut down the car with AA active, press "HOME" on infotainment unit to exit AA, then unplug the phone. You can shut down the car after that.

So next time you start the car, it doesn't matter if you plug in the phone or not before/after the car started, AA will detect the phone as soon as you connect your phone.

verdict: my guess is, infotainment unit got confuse with the phone plugged in with AA active when shut down the car. Next time it to establish the EXACT same connection (or say RESUME). So it won't start AA as new connection (or say start a new session), hence got stuck.

So my workaround will disconnect AA and end the session and the system knows because I unplug the phone while the infotainment unit is still on.
I'll give this a shot. Thanks.

cjackgo

cjackgo
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Country flag
Hi All, I have a Moto G and I cannot connect with Android Auto at all. I get, Phone is not responding. I am connected via Bluetooth but can't use it otherwise. Ideas?

somarilnos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Country flag
Hi All, I have a Moto G and I cannot connect with Android Auto at all. I get, Phone is not responding. I am connected via Bluetooth but can't use it otherwise. Ideas?
Which version of Android are you using?

I'm assuming you have the Android Auto app installed on the phone?

You're plugging it in via USB while the infotainment system is booted up and running, and unlocked the phone while it's plugged in as such?

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Sedan Touring, '18 CR-V Touring AWD
Country flag