Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

CivicHoss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic
Country flag
I am really hating Android Auto. I starting using it again now that Waze is finally available but I am ready to pound my fist through the damn screen. Most of the time, AA fluctuates on and off. I can't get a stable connection. Sometimes, I can't even connect. I find myself constantly rebooting the screen to get AA to work for a short amount of time. I have tried new cables, put my Moto Z in developer mode and enabled USB debugging, and sacrificed puppies to the AA god. No luck. Anyone else have this problem and solved it?

I had the same problem with my HTC One last year and stopped using AA altogether. Stealership says there is nothing wrong with my hardware/software in the car. For my sanity, I am ready to stop using AA again and just run Waze on my phone.

bhorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic EX HS Sedan
Country flag
I am really hating Android Auto. I starting using it again now that Waze is finally available but I am ready to pound my fist through the damn screen. Most of the time, AA fluctuates on and off. I can't get a stable connection. Sometimes, I can't even connect. I find myself constantly rebooting the screen to get AA to work for a short amount of time. I have tried new cables, put my Moto Z in developer mode and enabled USB debugging, and sacrificed puppies to the AA god. No luck. Anyone else have this problem and solved it?

I had the same problem with my HTC One last year and stopped using AA altogether. Stealership says there is nothing wrong with my hardware/software in the car. For my sanity, I am ready to stop using AA again and just run Waze on my phone.
Yikes, that sounds frustrating. It is definitely not supposed to be like that, and I don't see constant problems like that. I just got a Moto G5+ and AA works very well with that phone. I use Anker cables in the car after having issues with some other cheapo cables.

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2016 Ford F-150, 2003 Subaru Impreza WRX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

Make sure you're using a top quality cable. If you're using a cheap cable, you will definitely have issues. You should try to log your charging to see if it's ever interrupted. Could be the port on your phone too. How do you secure your phone while using AA? Is it just sitting on the dash or is it held in a mount?

tsupersonic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Hatchback EX-L, '17 Forester XT
Country flag

I was having this disconnect problem with my Nexus 6P/S8+. It seems to not disconnect, now that I'm using a braided USB cable, and I have also gotten in the habit of putting my phone in the bottom compartment (rather than the pass through section right below the climate control). I figured this is okay, since you can't use your phone with Android Auto anyways.

CivicHoss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic
Country flag
I am not sure it is the cable and here is why, which will also answer some of your questions, I can physically move the phone around the car, while connected, and not get any connectivity issues when AA is working. I place the phone on the passenger seat when I finally get AA to work. It is worth noting that the AA app on the phone also fluctuates with the connect/no device detected notifications on the screen. I am having some software/setting issue.

When I start the car, AA pops up on the phone due to, I am assuming, the bluetooth connection. I then connect the cable to the car. It is a crapshoot if I get AA to appear in the smartphone button on the screen. I cannot find any rhyme or reason. When I get AA to start, it is usually this sequence, although this has a 40% success rate.
- start the car with the cable physically disconnected.
- hold power button and reboot the system in the car.
- wait until everything is up and running and AA is running on the phone due to bluetooth connection
- physically connect the phone.
- pay homage to kitten shrine on dash.

Sometimes it is stable for my hour drive home. If I can't get it to work after this sequence, I cannot get it to work until I turn off the car and restart the whole damn thing. By then I am on the highway.

Edit: It is worth noting that I have had this issue with two different Android phones and about 6 cables between them. I am done buying cables. I just saw the Apple CarPlay thread. Going to peruse that thread for clues.

Last edited:

bhorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic EX HS Sedan
Country flag
When I start the car, AA pops up on the phone due to, I am assuming, the bluetooth connection.
This sounds odd. There is a way to setup the AA app for use without a compatible vehicle, such that the app starts running in standalone mode when it connects to a BT receiver. I do this in my '05 Odyssey using a BT-adaptor.

But for the Civic (that is AA compatible), you don't want to use that method.
I suggest trying:
* uninstalling the app from your phone, restart the phone.
* go into the settings on the HU and remove your phone as a BT device
* re-install the AA app
* connect your phone

The AA app should launch, and you'll get notifications of the connection on both the HU and the phone.

CivicHoss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic
Country flag
That is a great suggestion and I have done that. AA worked for that trip after that procedure. However, the next time I started the car, AA started fluctuating again. I just can't believe that I have do go through this hell each time.

Do you think it could be iHeart music or Waze that is, while not actively in use but not forcestopped either, on my phone when I start AA? I am getting that idea from the CarPlay thread.

And does the center console USB work for AA? I thought it was only the front USB port, the 1.5A port.

bhorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic EX HS Sedan
Country flag
Do you think it could be iHeart music...?

And does the center console USB work for AA? I thought it was only the front USB port, the 1.5A port.
I have never used that app, so maybe try uninstalling it to see if that changes anything. I use Waze all the time.

Yes, only the dash port will work to connect AA/CP.

CivicHoss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic
Country flag
LOL! I wish a pothole would fix my problem. I am ready to jailbreak the damn thing. I still cannot find a pattern.My AA still fluctuates between working and "Device not found." 4 second intervals between flipping. For those of you which find AA works consistently:

Do you wait till the car is started before plugging in?

Do you find AA loads on your phone due to the bluetooth connection before plugging in the phone?

Do you use the other USB port for other electronics such as an ipod?

tsupersonic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Hatchback EX-L, '17 Forester XT
Country flag
Now that my S8+ works consistently after switching cables:

Yes, I plug in my phone after starting the car.

It may pair with BT, but it transitions to Android Auto pretty quickly.

No, I don't use the other USB port.
Sponsored