And now for something completely different ... while we are waiting for %$#@ pricing.

baldheadracing

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Country flag
I was wandering through YouTube looking for new CTR videos and someone just re-posted this classic from, IIRC, 2008.

In-car of Riccardo Patrese doing a lap of Jerez in a Type R with his wife. Yes, his wife is hilarious, but watch how quiet Riccardo's hands are.
Sponsored

silverrascal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX hatch
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I've seen this before but I still LMAO when I see it! So hilarious! And, his wife is h-a-w-t. LOL.

JYR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
8th gen Si
Country flag
I was wandering through YouTube looking for new CTR videos and someone just re-posted this classic from, IIRC, 2008.

In-car of Riccardo Patrese doing a lap of Jerez in a Type R with his wife. Yes, his wife is hilarious, but watch how quiet Riccardo's hands are.
Funny you bring this up and I am excited you did. Allow me to explain.

I'm in my mid-30's, have owned many great cars and even more-so, dumped lots of money into my cars in the quest to go fast.

In my later, more experienced days, I decided to try a few driving schools. Instead of dropping thousands of dollars in the latest cool part, I decided to drop money into the nut behind the wheel, me. I realized quickly that those thousands of dollars I spent on my car never made me a better driver, or for that matter any quicker around a track. If you want to drive fast, drop money on YOU, rather than the latest and greatest part. -Unless of course you want more likes on Instagram.

I say this because one big thing I have learned at these schools is how important it is to remain calm while driving, much like the video represents. Once a driver gets into their groove, it becomes very relaxing. One instructor of mine actually told me that after the race, the drivers all talk about the signs they read in the stands. Yep, they get so relaxed that they enjoy reading those signs and looking at the fans in the stands. Interesting, huh?

That said, if you intend to modify your car for track duty (after the 3 most important ingredients: fluids, brakes, tires -in that order) PLEASE consider a driving school, first. If you can't go to a formal school, throw a few hundred bucks at an experienced driver and ask him or her to spend the day with you both on and off track. Or even better, be their bitch for the day. Understand why they are changing tire pressures, watch what they do before they go on track, ask what they mean by 'throwing away a corner'. What is trail braking? Why did they tap the brakes before corner entry? How far ahead are they looking? This money will be far better spend than a few grand on a set of the latest and greatest wheels, trust me.

We all know how fast the R was around the 'Ring. It will require a great driver to outdrive the R.

BarracksSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Sport Touring Hatch; '17 CR-V EX. Formerly '02 EP3.
Country flag
+1 to everything. My first wakeup call about how unskilled I was as a driver was when an instructor took my EP five seconds faster on a 50-second course than I did.

And about being calm:
I say this because one big thing I have learned at these schools is how important it is to remain calm while driving, much like the video represents. Once a driver gets into their groove, it becomes very relaxing. One instructor of mine actually told me that after the race, the drivers all talk about the signs they read in the stands. Yep, they get so relaxed that they enjoy reading those signs and looking at the fans in the stands. Interesting, huh?
Racing legend Walter Röhrl looks like he could be holding an espresso in one hand while he takes a GT3 RS for a few laps:

OldPirate

Old Pirate
First Name
Angelo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Focus ST, Hyundia something like that....

Bet he didn't get none that night..............:rolleyes:

BarracksSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Sport Touring Hatch; '17 CR-V EX. Formerly '02 EP3.
Country flag
Side thought --

There isn't an autocross/track/dragstrip subforum here, is there?

VarmintCong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Focus ST Line X (sold 2020 Si sedan)
Country flag
That's a classic video, love how she's talking non-stop the whole lap, lol.

I think to an F1 driver, a Type R probably feels like it's going in slow motion.

VarmintCong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Focus ST Line X (sold 2020 Si sedan)
Country flag
Funny you bring this up and I am excited you did. Allow me to explain.

I'm in my mid-30's, have owned many great cars and even more-so, dumped lots of money into my cars in the quest to go fast.

In my later, more experienced days, I decided to try a few driving schools. Instead of dropping thousands of dollars in the latest cool part, I decided to drop money into the nut behind the wheel, me. I realized quickly that those thousands of dollars I spent on my car never made me a better driver, or for that matter any quicker around a track. If you want to drive fast, drop money on YOU, rather than the latest and greatest part. -Unless of course you want more likes on Instagram.

That said, if you intend to modify your car for track duty (after the 3 most important ingredients: fluids, brakes, tires -in that order) PLEASE consider a driving school, first. If you can't go to a formal school, throw a few hundred bucks at an experienced driver and ask him or her to spend the day with you both on and off track. Or even better, be their bitch for the day. Understand why they are changing tire pressures, watch what they do before they go on track, ask what they mean by 'throwing away a corner'. What is trail braking? Why did they tap the brakes before corner entry? How far ahead are they looking? This money will be far better spend than a few grand on a set of the latest and greatest wheels, trust me.

We all know how fast the R was around the 'Ring. It will require a great driver to outdrive the R.
Another thing track noobs should do is let a senior instructor drive your car a few laps - I did that in my E36 325i, and was blown away how fast it could go. The instructor was doing so many little things with weight transfer to get more grip, all while being incredibly smooth.

dawsonj87

First Name
Dawson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Civic EX Coupe, 2001 Honda CB250
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
This is classic. I attended a class at Bondurant School of High Performance Driving and I drove a 2015 Camaro SS for a week on Firebird Raceway in Arizona. The third day of the class, we were doing got laps and after about an hour or so, I was so into what I was doing, I was throwing around that Camaro like it was a Lotus. It was fantastic! I was calm as could be as well. I had never felt so relaxed. It is amazing what happens once you really get into your groove. It also helps you quickly realize how idiotic some drivers can be on the road. The second you see someone who isn't calm, that's someone who isn't in control of their car.
Sponsored