Admin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
All 2017 Civic models (hatchback, sedan and coupe) have earned the highest five-star overall safety rating from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.

Both the 2017 Civic Hatchback and Sedan received five stars in the front, side and rollover crash tests, while the 2017 Civic Coupe received five stars in all categories except frontal crash (where it received four stars). But, all 3 Civic models received an overall five-star safety rating.

The 2017 Civic Hatchback will join the sedan and coupe at Honda dealerships this Fall.
Sponsored

Troy Jollimore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring, 2018 VW Golf
Country flag
So. Don't run into anything with your Coupe! Curious, though. It seems to be almost identical from the B-pillar forward... Test discrepancy?

RobbJK88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So. Don't run into anything with your Coupe! Curious, though. It seems to be almost identical from the B-pillar forward... Test discrepancy?
I'm thinking yes, it was a test discrepancy as the front ends of the all the civics are identical across the board in structure and build.

Slickone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Le Car
Country flag
I'd guess that's likely. How many of each car do they test? One?

RobbJK88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'd guess that's likely. How many of each car do they test? One?
I would assume 1 car for each individual test. Which leaves a pretty wide margin for error and or differences from test to test.

shakedown94

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Civic Type-R #8479. Past cars - 80 Civic,97 Civic,87 Integra,94 Integra,94 Civic,00 Integra,12 Hyundai Accent
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It may just be in the margin of error. The door opening in the coupe is longer then the sedan and hatch. Maybe the longer distance from the a to b pillar caused it to be just that little bit weaker.

SoichiroSan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 VW GTI Sport, '17 Si coupe
This is more filler, so that we may have something to read until the release of the Si. Of course the Civic is safe. In general, any new car sold in America will tend to not kill its occupants, especially if they're wearing seat belts.

Slickone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Le Car
Country flag
This is more filler, so that we may have something to read until the release of the Si. Of course the Civic is safe. In general, any new car sold in America will tend to not kill its occupants, especially if they're wearing seat belts.
Yeah even the tiny little Chevy Sonic got a 5 star rating.

Browncoat3000

Red 5 standing by
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si, Odyssey EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Following the link, the coupe's female passenger was given 4 stars, while the male driver got 5. There doesn't appear to be a detailed report yet as to why this test was different.

Possibly the different airbag geometry?

Curious, the sedan and coupe both have Forward crash detection and lane departure warnings as recommended options, the hatch does not. There is no explanation I can find.

Slickone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Le Car
Country flag
Following the link, the coupe's female passenger was given 4 stars, while the male driver got 5. There doesn't appear to be a detailed report yet as to why this test was different.

Possibly the different airbag geometry?

Curious, the sedan and coupe both have Forward crash detection and lane departure warnings as recommended options, the hatch does not. There is no explanation I can find.
Considering how my female passenger always complains about my driving, maybe the female test dummy just didn't like the male dummy's driving?

J/K, you women (about the 2nd part at least).

Slickone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Le Car
Country flag
This is nice too know. Thanks #HONDA for producing safe products!!
No need to thank Honda. They don't make them safe to be nice, sell more, or be superior. They do so because of federal regulations and so they don't get sued.

Honda still uses defective Takata airbags. Even the recall replacements aren't safe.
http://money.cnn.com/2016/06/30/autos/takata-honda-airbag-warning/
http://money.cnn.com/2016/06/01/news/companies/takata-airbag-recall-new-cars/
https://consumerist.com/2015/05/27/could-takatas-replacement-airbags-be-just-as-dangerous/

Troy Jollimore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
No need to thank Honda. They don't make them safe to be nice, sell more, or be superior. They do so because of federal regulations and so they don't get sued.

Honda still uses defective Takata airbags. Even the recall replacements aren't safe.
Actually, they do. The regulations merely state the vehicles have to pass, not pass with an exceptional rating. So companies still strive for that SO they can sell more, be superior and be nice. In that order of importance. ;) As for the airbags, you sound like a VW Diesel crybaby! "Oh, these are polluting! Oh, these are dangerous!" Well, yes, when measured by minute standards and scrutinized for every single exception that may have caused an accident. By that standard, you definitely wouldn't see ANY outer-space travel. Rocket fuel is inherently dangerous! Let's just say I'd feel safer where I am with a 'defective' Takata airbag than I would be after a technician replaced it with a 'safe' one. I trust that original airbag more than I trust the technician not to have screwed something up... Other airbags may be the same as the Takatas, but noone's left one to soak in a Louisiana bayou for a decade and then see if it spews metal projectiles.

Slickone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Le Car
Country flag
Actually, they do. The regulations merely state the vehicles have to pass, not pass with an exceptional rating. So companies still strive for that SO they can sell more, be superior and be nice. In that order of importance. ;) As for the airbags, you sound like a VW Diesel crybaby! "Oh, these are polluting! Oh, these are dangerous!" Well, yes, when measured by minute standards and scrutinized for every single exception that may have caused an accident. By that standard, you definitely wouldn't see ANY outer-space travel. Rocket fuel is inherently dangerous! Let's just say I'd feel safer where I am with a 'defective' Takata airbag than I would be after a technician replaced it with a 'safe' one. I trust that original airbag more than I trust the technician not to have screwed something up... Other airbags may be the same as the Takatas, but noone's left one to soak in a Louisiana bayou for a decade and then see if it spews metal projectiles.
"so they don't get sued."
Did you not see this?
Besides, if regulations so they only need to pass, what car manufacture would only put in enough design so their cars "pass".

I have no idea what you're talking about with the airbag stuff but I honestly stopped reading after the first sentence or so since it sounds like you're very highly confused.
And nice to see RobbJK88 continuing his normal thanks anytime someone chews me out.

Troy Jollimore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Nice to hear you're an opinionated ass then, Slick. I'll ignore you in the future if I can't understand what you're writing.
Sponsored