Aftermarket/ebay Fog light kit (complete assembly)

frnkp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Civic Si and 2016 Civic LX Coupe (6spd)
Vehicle Showcase
Has anyone bought/installed any aftermarket/ebay foglight kits?
the entire assembly.. my car didn't have factory foglights at all.

they're half the price of the OEM's and I'm seriously considering it but a little afraid I'll end up with junk..

Sorry if there's already a discussion on this, I searched and couldn't find it..

Frank P
Alabama
Sponsored

Last edited:

Videone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 MX-5 GT PRHT, 2018 Mazda 6 Signature, 2016 Civic Touring Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Has anyone bought/installed any aftermarket/ebay foglights?
they're half the price of the OEM's and I'm seriously considering it but a little afraid I'll end up with junk..

Sorry if there's already a discussion on this, I searched and couldn't find it..

Frank P
Alabama
I bought these: CLICK HERE
Color match is good, but the light pattern is poor. There are threads regarding fog lights. Here's one: CLICK HERE

inv4zn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Country flag
I assume you mean actual foglight assemblies, and not bulbs.

I bought ebay foglight kit for my old Accord, for ~$50. It came with a switch that didn't work, mounting was terrible and didnt meet ANY of the OEM holes, and I had to cut out large pieces of the housing just so it would sit flush with the bumper.

That said, they lasted me 6 years without issue.

Once you get them installed they should be fine.

OP
OP
frnkp

frnkp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I assume you mean actual foglight assemblies, and not bulbs.

I bought ebay foglight kit for my old Accord, for ~$50. It came with a switch that didn't work, mounting was terrible and didnt meet ANY of the OEM holes, and I had to cut out large pieces of the housing just so it would sit flush with the bumper.

That said, they lasted me 6 years without issue.

Once you get them installed they should be fine.
Thanks, I edited my post.. I didn't think about that factor..

inv4zn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Country flag
Thanks, I edited my post.. I didn't think about that factor..
All in all, it's about 80% of the quality of OEM at 50% of the price. If you're willing/able to compensate for the difference in quality then I'd say go for it.

Just as an FYI, because the switch didn't work on mine, I just wired mine to come on with my parking lights with a relay. I could never turn them off when my parking lights were on, but whatever, it was $40 lol

CivicLX2016

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic
Vehicle Showcase
All in all, it's about 80% of the quality of OEM at 50% of the price. If you're willing/able to compensate for the difference in quality then I'd say go for it.

Just as an FYI, because the switch didn't work on mine, I just wired mine to come on with my parking lights with a relay. I could never turn them off when my parking lights were on, but whatever, it was $40 lol
What was $40? The bezels, bulbs and wiring...all for $40?

inv4zn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Country flag
eBay?

What about the bulbs made them crap?
Just looking at them...lol.

The glass was not clear, if it was even glass. The base plastic looked like it came out of a kinder surprise, and it was just shitty looking. I didn't even plug them in because immediately they looked like a fire hazard just waiting to happen.

Yes, ebay.

OP
OP
frnkp

frnkp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Last edited:

Derstn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic EX
this is not a job for the weak.. took about 3 1/2 hours total, no instructions.. (I used the one's from Honda but the wiring is completely different.
I can follow the factory instructions well enough. Can you provide some details for me? Where did the cabin penetration happen? Did you use an add-a-fuse for the power? Is it relay operated or just switched positive?
Did you pull the entire bumper off for the install, or was there enough room to route cables / replace bezels with just the under trays?

I'm super on the fence on this one. I've already got two cables coming off of the battery for a relay kit for HIDs and one for an amp, and I'd really like to stop the madness.

OP
OP
frnkp

frnkp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I can follow the factory instructions well enough. Can you provide some details for me? Where did the cabin penetration happen? Did you use an add-a-fuse for the power? Is it relay operated or just switched positive?
Did you pull the entire bumper off for the install, or was there enough room to route cables / replace bezels with just the under trays?

I'm super on the fence on this one. I've already got two cables coming off of the battery for a relay kit for HIDs and one for an amp, and I'd really like to stop the madness.
I removed the entire front bumper and used the relay than comes with the kit. I caught the factory fog light wire on the passenger side and ran it to 86 on the relay, 87 on the relay to the + on the lights, grounded 85 and the (-) wires for the lights and then ran 30 to the battery with a watertight fuse holder.

on the inside I got power for the switch from the parking light wire (near the bottom of the fuse box, just tested with a meter until I found the correct wire) grounded one wire and the switched wire I attached to the factory fog light wire which in my 6MT LX was above the brake pedal.

it was kind of a challenge to say the least..

here's a sample of the standard relay config:

Honda Civic 10th gen Aftermarket/ebay Fog light kit (complete assembly) Capture.JPG

Derstn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic EX
I didn't realize that the fuse box harness to the crash bar area was in place. That makes this much simpler.
Sponsored