After one year and 42k+ miles......EX-T - Sensing

timcole421

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T Sensing Sedan
Kind of a review after the honeymoon period has lapsed.

The good:
-Car still looks good.
-Car still rides good.
-Tires have some noise after use, but are holding up.
-Economy is excellent.
-No major issues that can be fixed at this point.
-Handles well.
-Far from fast, but almost enough power to be fun.

The bad:
-I have the ding around the c-pillar that these get for no reason.
-The infotainment is problem ridden, which I hoped would be rectified by now. I did get one update which I had to PAY for since mileage apparently releases them from liabilities of writing crappy firmware.
-Sensing is worthless.
*Lane departure warning has at several times mistaken marks on the road from old lanes, or merging across in construction areas as me driving off the road. This causes a heavy brake-check unwillingly to whoever happens to be behind me.
*Lane keep assist is worthless. It tends to hug the left side of the lane near the road lines instead of being centered. It automatically tries to make you exit left at speed at every cross in the highway, it just turns you at speed. Even on straight stretches of road 9 times out of 10 it takes you so far to the left that the lane departure kicks in shaking the wheel, killing LKAS and pointing you more off the road than LKAS was taking you off to begin with. Without fail if I go to show someone how it works, it drives us straight out of the lane. Awesome.
*Adaptive cruise control is also worthless. At the closest follow setting, it still leaves around 10 carlengths distance between you and the car in front of you. This is not close enough to let the car ahead know that you're waiting to pass. You usually just sit there going as slow as them also holding up traffic in the passing lane. The alternative, and what I usually do it kill the cruise and roll up to a safe distance to let them know I am waiting to pass. You can just manually use the gas pedal to close the distance while leaving cruise on....but if you let off of the gas in the slightest sense the car brakes fairly hard to get back to it's 10 carlength back position. Low speed follow is also far too jerky and aggressive on the gas and brake to be useful in any way.
*Collision mitigation: Maybe the one thing that works properly and as designed. Unsure, thankfully haven't really tested it.

Conclusion: A pretty good car with awful technology firmware and after a year, no update to correct any of this. The semi-autonomous features have all of the skills and smoothness of a first time student driver with a BAC of about .02. Would I buy again? Probably not. But then again at this point I would probably not ever buy any new car of any kind.
Sponsored

Touring

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring, 2013 Honda Civic EX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Agree with you on sensing. After a year with my Touring, I've come to a point where the only sensing feature I use is collision mitigation with lower sensitivity set(because I still don't completely trust it). I hate ACC because like you said, it makes it look like you're a kid that's just gotten behind the wheel of a car. It's actually embarrassing to use when there's someone behind you. I just use cruise control in "classic" mode now and cancel/reset it as needed. Lane departure mitigation got annoying after a month of owning the car. Especially driving in the construction zones on my way to work. If Honda did packages, I would have forgone the sensing crap and put the money towards some cosmetic stuff like interior illumination or the aero kit.

OP
OP

timcole421

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I didn't know "classic mode" was available. I will definitely be checking out the systems menu

Touring

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring, 2013 Honda Civic EX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I didn't know "classic mode" was available. I will definitely be checking out the systems menu
It's not actually called classic mode. I just refer to it as that because it's a traditional cruise control mode. Press the "Main" button then hold press and hold the little button that adjusts the car lengths and it activates normal cruise mode

OP
OP

timcole421

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I had no idea, thanks so much!

djasonw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring, 2017 Toyota iM
Country flag
I guess everyone's experience with tech is different. I LOVE sensing. I sit in the center or right lane and cruise along. It also works very well on single lane roads. As for LKA, I don't use that as much but it works well when I do use it. I only use it on the highway when I know I won't be changing lanes and will be on the highway for ten miles or so. I will always be buying vehicles in the future with this technology. My guess is that in 7 years, it will be standard equipment on all cars.

WhatTheFun

Knows some stuff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have 37k miles and agree with your review. Lane keeping assist is the equivalent of having your drunk friend in the passenger seat reach across and hold the steering wheel. Sometimes it bounces between lines, and other times it gives up randomly.

At least you don't have the horrendous noises and rattles that the dealer either tells you are normal or just says "can't replicate"

I would not buy again

unr1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
L15B7
Country flag
I love sensing. You have to know its limitations and when it performs the best. Highway is where it shines. You have to be ready to react, though. If a car jumps in front of you, disable it and resume it once you maintain a good speed and distance.
Low speed follow isn't as smooth as the better systems (Mercedes for example). You get what you pay for.

Lkas works if it has good visualization of lines on the road. It's not perfect but it definitely helps on those long straight and slightly curvy roads.

I wouldn't get another car without ACC. It's a must have for me.

unr1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
L15B7
Country flag
I guess everyone's experience with tech is different. I LOVE sensing. I sit in the center or right lane and cruise along. It also works very well on single lane roads. As for LKA, I don't use that as much but it works well when I do use it. I only use it on the highway when I know I won't be changing lanes and will be on the highway for ten miles or so. I will always be buying vehicles in the future with this technology. My guess is that in 7 years, it will be standard equipment on all cars.
They already made ACC standard on the Toyota Corolla

Mocha90210

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
LKAS is the sleeper function that I didn't think I'd use much, but it has turned out to be one of my favourite functions. My only complaint is that I wish it wouldn't freak out after 15 seconds if it thinks you aren't touching the steering wheel. Between LKAS and ACC, it is essentially a self driving car on the highway. Very well appointed for the price point.

LX16CVT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic lx coupe
How in the world do you put 42k miles on a car in only on year? My goodness.

OP
OP

timcole421

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Work.......road warrior.

ITGuyLevi

First Name
Levi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sport Touring
Country flag
I haven't had mine as long as you, nor have I put anywhere near the number of miles on mine that you have but I love LKAS and ACC. While ACC may be jittery at times I've found like like the setting with two lines, it keeps a decent distance for me and keeps me from tailgating so much (I've had to replace 3 windshields in 4 years due to rocks and me following too closely). LKAS is great for me because I'm on main highways where I live for about 30 minutes in the morning and 30 minutes in the evening and I only have an issue if I am in one particular lane at one spot in the road (no clue why, the road looks fine to me there).

Maybe in around 35000 more miles I'll feel different but for now, I love both of those features.
Sponsored