After market spark plugs?

solidus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Ex-t 2017
Looking for some aftermarket spark plugs for my car. If you have any knowledge please lemme know. I need colder plugs if anybody has the part number that'd be awesome!!
Sponsored

17siturb0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic si sedan, 2006 civic si coupe
Looking for some aftermarket spark plugs for my car. If you have any knowledge please lemme know. I need colder plugs if anybody has the part number that'd be awesome!!
Unless you are running a bigger turbo or highly modified, there's no need for colder plugs.

OP
OP

solidus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Ex-t 2017
Unless you are running a bigger turbo or highly modified, there's no need for colder plugs.

Well then explain the dry fouling on my plugs then? I took it to my mechanic that has worked on all my cars this being my daily. He and I both came to the conclusion that colder plugs would be better. I thought it was quite strange for it to go into limp mode misfire and almost make me crash. not trying to be abrasive but I'm in dire need. I'm running a tune at 24 psi with intercooler CAI and catback running 93 octane. No I am not running lean... I only have 6 thousand miles on this bitch

dc2turbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic,teg
Country flag
Well then explain the dry fouling on my plugs then? I took it to my mechanic that has worked on all my cars this being my daily. He and I both came to the conclusion that colder plugs would be better. I thought it was quite strange for it to go into limp mode misfire and almost make me crash. not trying to be abrasive but I'm in dire need. I'm running a tune at 24 psi with intercooler CAI and catback running 93 octane. No I am not running lean... I only have 6 thousand miles on this bitch
have you been tuned or just running a base calibration?

edit: misread the misfire part

Last edited:
OP
OP

solidus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Ex-t 2017
Custom tune not base calibration. Hmmm and maybe but I don't think so. Had it tested and tuned several times to ensure it was running at optimal lvls. I trust my tuner he is very reputable. This is his 20th ext he has tuned. And mine is probably the lowest psi as well.

JDM_DOHC_SiR

Uncle Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Acura TLX Type-S / 2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Is the tune on Hondata or KTuner?:hmm:

JDM_DOHC_SiR

Uncle Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Acura TLX Type-S / 2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Do you have any pictures of the plugs you can post up ? It would be interesting to see what they look like if you do have some:hmm::)

OP
OP

solidus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Ex-t 2017
Do you have any pictures of the plugs you can post up ? It would be interesting to see what they look like if you do have some:hmm::)
Once I pull them out I will upload pictures of them. At this point I'm gonna just replace with some factory ones by ngk

Sgtstaadanko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I've had a few misfires/limp modes happen to me too, let us know if this helps! I'm very interested in your results.

17siturb0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic si sedan, 2006 civic si coupe
You must have ran some shitty ass fuel or your tune is off, or the gap is incorrect. Lots of small factors. I know this car won't need colder plugs with minor bolt ons and a tune. Who's your tuner? Also how long did you have bolt ons before you got a custom tune?

Sgtstaadanko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I got the misfire on Shell 91, base Hondata Injen SRI (which I have) +6 tune, haven't checked the plug gap as it hasn't reoccurred in a couple months, to be more specific, hasn't reoccurred since I copied the knock air limits from the +9 tune. Always happened from a launch for me. Followed the misfire protocol in the owners manual and never had the flashing CEL after a restart so I never though it was a big deal. Just interested in what comes from "upgraded" plugs.

akirarex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic
Country flag
Even the Type R uses the same plug as all other models turbo models. 12290-59B-003 / SPARK PLUG (ILZKAR8H8S) (NGK)
You don't gap Iridium or Platinum spark plugs, they are pre gapped. You can crack/break them doing so.
NOTE: Do not adjust the gap of iridium tip plugs. Do not use plug cleaner.

For CHECKING gap:
Electrode Gap
Standard (New): 1.5l Turbo non Si
0.7-0.8 mm (0.028-0.031 in)

Electrode Gap for Si
Standard (New):
0.70-0.75 mm (0.0276-0.0295 in)

K20C1 Engine:
0.7-0.8 mm (0.028-0.031 in)

K20C2 Engine:
1.0-1.1 mm (0.039-0.043 in)

You can go to NGK's website and figure out what you need from using the ILZKAR8H8S as your reference.
I believe you need a thin wall deep well socket to get these spark plugs out... (14mm???)

My initial gut reaction is that it's a tuning problem.
Post pictures of the spark plugs.
Note: proper spark plug analysis does require looking deep down the side of the ceramic (cutting the threads off and using a magnifier to look at deposits.)

Honda inspection notes:
Fouled plugs may be caused by these conditions:

Retarded ignition timing

Oil in combustion chamber

Incorrect spark plug gap

Plug heat range too COLD

Excessive idling/low speed running

Clogged air cleaner element

Deteriorated ignition coils

Overly rich, cooling your spark plug below operating temperature where it cannot clean itself.
Other possible causes could be low compression or vacuum leak.
Sponsored