Adding Apps

bhorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic EX HS Sedan
Country flag
I am thoroughly enjoying playing around with the infotainment system. I saw the "Add apps" function. It seems to require loading the apk on a USB drive to install. I am wondering if I can simply add Google services apk's and then load the Play Store apk. Then it would be magical to simply use the Play Store to install apps to my hearts content.

Otherwise I'm wondering what the limitations will be for adding apps.
Sponsored

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Sedan Touring, '18 CR-V Touring AWD
Country flag
I though "Add apps" was very cryptic when I saw it. It just begged the question in my mind: From where??!?!

Has anybody yet tried plugging in a stick with an APK?

(I don't have a car yet or I might…)

edwanny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Scion
Vehicle Showcase
Please please someone come up with an answer or something!! And also does someone know how to make the infotainment system not cancel out part of itself while the car is in motion? Like if my passenger wants to use something on it like the Internet or something it just cancels out n won't let us use that.

MisterScary

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 CR-V EX, 2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
I noticed there was a tab for "video" but it's grayed out so it can't be selected. I was really hoping that the system could play video off a flash drive. I tried but only got audio since it seems like there's no app available to play video.

OP
OP
bhorn

bhorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic EX HS Sedan
Country flag
I noticed there was a tab for "video" but it's grayed out so it can't be selected. I was really hoping that the system could play video off a flash drive. I tried but only got audio since it seems like there's no app available to play video.
I was able to play video off the flash drive. I copied a large folder of music to a thumb drive, and there was a music video in one of the folders. I'll have to double check, but I think I was using the picture browser to play it.

MisterScary

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I was able to play video off the flash drive. I copied a large folder of music to a thumb drive, and there was a music video in one of the folders. I'll have to double check, but I think I was using the picture browser to play it.
Cool! Please post a follow up and if you could, please mention the type of video file (.avi, .mpg, etc.). Thanks!

OP
OP
bhorn

bhorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic EX HS Sedan
Country flag
Cool! Please post a follow up and if you could, please mention the type of video file (.avi, .mpg, etc.). Thanks!
I was able to play the video from the "Gallery" app. The car has to be in Park to use the app.

The video file is in an mp4 container.

MisterScary

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I was able to play the video from the "Gallery" app. The car has to be in Park to use the app.

The video file is in an mp4 container.
Thanks for the info! I'll try it out when I get home from work tonight.

AirCooled

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring , others
>I was able to play the video from the "Gallery" app. The car has to be in Park to use the app

Working on changing this too.

edwanny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Scion
Vehicle Showcase
Yes - this is my goal.
Yes I need that too, like when me and my wife go on long trip to visit her family or something it would be nice to have something playing there like a show such as family guy or something that you don't need to pay too much attention to but still keeps you entertained.

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Sedan Touring, '18 CR-V Touring AWD
Country flag
…something that you don't need to pay too much attention to but still keeps you entertained.
Distracted is distracted. "I wasn't paying too much attention to the TV when I crossed the double yellow line…"

I hope they made it very, very, difficult to coerce this device to play videos while driving.
Sponsored