Adding additional apps

YibbleY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic EX Turbo - Cosmic Blue
Anyone have any thoughts on what apps can be installed on the console? It looks like stock Android. Can I install Waze (for example) and tether from my phone to run it?
Sponsored

dc2turbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic,teg
Country flag
Nope , apps have to be signed by honda to be installed. No one has cracked it yet

norcal415

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None, in the market for Civic EX-T
Anyone have any thoughts on what apps can be installed on the console? It looks like stock Android. Can I install Waze (for example) and tether from my phone to run it?
If you're talking about Android auto they have to be made to work with Android auto specifically. Currently mostly Google apps like Maps & Music work along with music apps Pandora and Spotify. Google: 'apps for Android auto' to see them all.
I expect more apps to become compatible as times goes on and more cars support Android auto.

johnnywatts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring Aegean Blue
If you're talking about Android auto they have to be made to work with Android auto specifically. Currently mostly Google apps like Maps & Music work along with music apps Pandora and Spotify. Google: 'apps for Android auto' to see them all.
I expect more apps to become compatible as times goes on and more cars support Android auto.
If you swipe left there's a "App Installer" thing that can download additional apps. But nothing on there yet.

norcal415

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None, in the market for Civic EX-T
If you swipe left there's a "App Installer" thing that can download additional apps. But nothing on there yet.
That might be apps for Honda link. Apps for Android Auto, as far as I understand, get downloaded to the phone, not the center console. There's 3 separate ways to do things: Apple Carplay, Honda Link, & Android Auto.

OP
OP

YibbleY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic EX Turbo - Cosmic Blue
I have and use Android Auto since it's the only way to keep my OnePlus connected to the Bluetooth (it disconnects after 40 seconds if I connect directly to Bluetooth). But what about installing apps that aren't related to driving or phone usage? I mean it's an android os... what about something like VLC media player for movies? Or Facebook?

dc2turbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic,teg
Country flag
read above

the only apps you can install on the headunit is ones supplied by Honda. No one has rooted the system yet

jk147

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Consider that the infotainment is using an older version of Android. You will probably not be able to install any new apps that is worth the time.

dc2turbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic,teg
Country flag
waze is getting added to android auto but they didnt give us a ETA. waze 4.0 is coming out soon so maybe around that time

LC30

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic ex-t
There is a video on YouTube where you put the car stereo system in a different mode. I believe you might be able to do the break bypass from there. It's like a reset on a tablet or phone, where you hold the power,light button(left top of the unit)and the folder icon on the dash all together. Try that....
Sponsored