Acceleration?

Rawnerve1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 crv
Country flag
I have a question about acceleration with the Turbo model. How is this engine on the highway with the AC on full blast. The reason Im asking today when driving my 2003 civic in was bogging down. I understand its a 128hp model vs 175 ect. Just want your honest opinion. And I did test drive the 1.5t and it felt good. Here in NJ you really dont get a long test drive and they dont let you take the car out by yourself..
Sponsored

hondamitch51

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring ; 2016 CRV Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have a question about acceleration with the Turbo model. How is this engine on the highway with the AC on full blast. The reason Im asking today when driving my 2003 civic in was bogging down. I understand its a 128hp model vs 175 ect. Just want your honest opinion. And I did test drive the 1.5t and it felt good. Here in NJ you really dont get a long test drive and they dont let you take the car out by yourself..
I have the Touring model and the car has excellent acceleration even with the AC on full blast. I don't know where you are in NJ but I frequently drive on 287 and 78 and have never had any issues with acceleration.

inv4zn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Country flag
It's quite good. No noticeable difference in acceleration.

My old 2000 Accord (V6) would lose half its power when I turned on the AC.
My old 2007 Accord (V6) was better, but you'd still notice the engine working harder with the AC.

My current 16 Touring has no noticeable difference whether the AC is on full blast or not.

It's not so much the actual power of the engine, but more how much power the AC compressor robs; they seem to have made great strides.

Also, it blows cold air within 5 seconds of turning it on, while it's been sitting outside for 8 hours -- overall very pleased with the AC.

CanadaNeal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Coupe Touring White Orchid Pearl
Vehicle Showcase
^^ What he/she said.:cool:

[EDIT]-
^^What h̶e̶/̶s̶h̶e̶ this human said:cool:.

:doh:

Last edited:

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 BNP Touring, '07 Mercury Milan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It's quite good. No noticeable difference in acceleration.

My old 2000 Accord (V6) would lose half its power when I turned on the AC.
My old 2007 Accord (V6) was better, but you'd still notice the engine working harder with the AC.

My current 16 Touring has no noticeable difference whether the AC is on full blast or not.

It's not so much the actual power of the engine, but more how much power the AC compressor robs; they seem to have made great strides.

Also, it blows cold air within 5 seconds of turning it on, while it's been sitting outside for 8 hours -- overall very pleased with the AC.
I notice a *slight* difference accelerating lightly at low speeds. And by lightly, I mean like 1,250-1,500 RPM - aka BTB (Before the Boost).

Any other time, can't tell. The compressor has to be quite efficient. I also notice no decrease in MPG.

For such a tiny-ass 4 cylinder, this amazes me.

CanadaNeal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Coupe Touring White Orchid Pearl
Vehicle Showcase
I thought it was now socially unacceptable to assume that one is going to be either/or. I am outraged and now will start a sitewide movement to promote the inclusion of everyone!!

..no, I think it's a tad ridiculous lol. I'm a he :p
Edited my original post for PC correctness, lol! Thanks.
Civic AC is cooool!

Honda Civic 10th gen Acceleration? frozenwaterfall

silverrascal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX hatch
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You'll have no problem accelerating on the highway. The FC1 is a pure joy at speed. For more exhilaration, put the car in Sport mode - rpms stay around the boost range and you will get a nice push into your seat as you step away from traffic.

Slickone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Le Car
Country flag
If your Civic was an EX, it had 127 HP, but otherwise only had 115 HP. I always turned the AC off when going up big hills or when I needed power.
FYI the AC uses the same power regardless if it's on "full blast" or "low blast".

finalnight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If your Civic was an EX, it had 127 HP, but otherwise only had 115 HP. I always turned the AC off when going up big hills or when I needed power.
FYI the AC uses the same power regardless if it's on "full blast" or "low blast".
Not on the 2016 Civic. It has a variable-displacement compressor.

domm92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
My old car was horrible with the a/c running.
I would suffer with it off unless it was literally over 100 degrees. I guess I still have the mentality that I did with the old car because I don't use the a/c in this car. Also with all the other cars I've driven I notice horrible power loss. But since everyone says they don't notice anything maybe I'll give a/c in the car another chance haha.

OP
OP

Rawnerve1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 crv
Country flag
I would suffer with it off unless it was literally over 100 degrees. I guess I still have the mentality that I did with the old car because I don't use the a/c in this car. Also with all the other cars I've driven I notice horrible power loss. But since everyone says they don't notice anything maybe I'll give a/c in the car another chance haha.
Domm you understand NJ... I drive on the Parkway everyday. Tring to change lanes when everyone is doing 80 plus in a little car with the AC on is a deathtrap.

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 BNP Touring, '07 Mercury Milan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Same. My old '07 2.3 Fusion was bogged down like crazy with the A/C on. Idle got rough as hell too. I'm still breaking the habit of rarely using A/C unless on the highway lol.

domm92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Same. My old '07 2.3 Fusion was bogged down like crazy with the A/C on. Idle got rough as hell too. I'm still breaking the habit of rarely using A/C unless on the highway lol.
I had a 2009 2.0 focus. Without the a/c it was pretty lethargic with it on there were a few occasions that I thought, welp this is it...

Domm you understand NJ... I drive on the Parkway everyday. Tring to change lanes when everyone is doing 80 plus in a little car with the AC on is a deathtrap.
My friend and I went to a wedding over the weekend in her 07 fit we did a mix of parkway and the turnpike and it wasn't very pleasant. We both were revving the hell out of it because it's just to under powered and I hate driving like that because I feel like I'm abusing the car. But they say Hondas are designed for high revving.

Slickone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Le Car
Country flag
Not on the 2016 Civic. It has a variable-displacement compressor.
Unless the Civic is different, I believe VDC's only vary with temperature, not with what fan speed is selected, which is what I assume the OP meant by full blast (highest fan setting).
Sponsored