6th Gen Civic Or 9th Gen?

Civic97Or14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Civic 4D Sedan LX
I'll try to keep it short. Not a car guy AT ALL (want to learn all about Civics, but currently don't even know how to change the oil). But went ahead and bought a 2014 Honda Civic 4D Sedan LX. Nice car, I love it, clean record, no major repairs, only 25k miles. Gets about 33 MPG.

However, kinda made the purchase when I couldn't afford it, and now stuck with a $252/month payment for the next 63 months.

I understand that 6th gen Civics seem to be highly sought after. Thinking about trying to sell my Civic for about $15k or so, and use the difference between that and my payoff ($13.5k) to buy a 6th gen Civic.

Would this be advised against? Are newer Civics as durable as older ones? Will I be able to squeeze out 300,000+ miles in my 2014 like I could with a '97?

I'm trying to lower my monthly obligations now, but my girlfriend fears that a '97 Civic with 130k miles, for example, might not even last us 5 years (I drive about 25k per year).

Thoughts? Just trying to get the opinions of people in the Civic community, as the only thing I'm absolutely certain about is that I want my car to be a Civic.
Sponsored

inv4zn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Country flag
With used cars it depends highly on regular maintenance.

Generally speaking, you'll hit 300K in both cars - but again, this depends on the individual car.

With the 6th gen, expect to spend more money on maintenance as they're at that age where vital components will need replacement soon - things like suspension parts, timing chains (I think), batteries, etc. etc.

Also, you probably won't get 15K for a 2014 Civic LX.

OP
OP

Civic97Or14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Civic 4D Sedan LX
With used cars it depends highly on regular maintenance.

Generally speaking, you'll hit 300K in both cars - but again, this depends on the individual car.

With the 6th gen, expect to spend more money on maintenance as they're at that age where vital components will need replacement soon - things like suspension parts, timing chains (I think), batteries, etc. etc.

Also, you probably won't get 15K for a 2014 Civic LX.
Yeah, I know I probably won't get that much. I'm hoping to at least get enough for the payoff ($13.5k), which I think is reasonable, given the low mileage.

I'm just wondering if the hefty car payment will be worth it.

anntrn93

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hatch Sport Touring
I'll try to keep it short. Not a car guy AT ALL (want to learn all about Civics, but currently don't even know how to change the oil). But went ahead and bought a 2014 Honda Civic 4D Sedan LX. Nice car, I love it, clean record, no major repairs, only 25k miles. Gets about 33 MPG.

However, kinda made the purchase when I couldn't afford it, and now stuck with a $252/month payment for the next 63 months.

I understand that 6th gen Civics seem to be highly sought after. Thinking about trying to sell my Civic for about $15k or so, and use the difference between that and my payoff ($13.5k) to buy a 6th gen Civic.

Would this be advised against? Are newer Civics as durable as older ones? Will I be able to squeeze out 300,000+ miles in my 2014 like I could with a '97?

I'm trying to lower my monthly obligations now, but my girlfriend fears that a '97 Civic with 130k miles, for example, might not even last us 5 years (I drive about 25k per year).

Thoughts? Just trying to get the opinions of people in the Civic community, as the only thing I'm absolutely certain about is that I want my car to be a Civic.

None. 10th Gen FTW

jk, but seriously though, a 14' LX for 15,876? plus how much you been paying into this car. & Good luck trying to find someone to buy that for 15k cash :)

how long a car is going to last depends a lot on how well it's maintained, ect. But 300,000 miles is a lot of fucking miles...

OP
OP

Civic97Or14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Civic 4D Sedan LX
None. 10th Gen FTW

jk, but seriously though, a 14' LX for 15,876? plus how much you been paying into this car. & Good luck trying to find someone to buy that for 15k cash :)

how long a car is going to last depends a lot on how well it's maintained, ect. But 300,000 miles is a lot of fucking miles...
Yeah, I know, I severely overpaid for it, got into a terrible deal. Trying to get out of it now.

Nada says $14k, KBB says bout $13k.

inv4zn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Country flag
It sounds like you're going to make a terrible decision to get out of a terrible decision.

If you can afford $252/mo, then just bite the bullet and keep it.

You're more than likely going to be financially worse by getting into a 6th gen.

OP
OP

Civic97Or14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Civic 4D Sedan LX
It sounds like you're going to make a terrible decision to get out of a terrible decision.

If you can afford $252/mo, then just bite the bullet and keep it.

You're more than likely going to be financially worse by getting into a 6th gen.
My issue is more about saving money. With my projected income in future years, a frugal lifestyle would be allow me to retire by 45. I fear I'd be making a mistake by not, for example, putting those savings into my Roth IRA.

I may have more in repairs in the long run, but I doubt those extra repairs would add up to 7% of the value I'd most likely get per year in my IRA, not including compounding interest.

I can't afford to not save as much now. Later on, I can.

Cars in general are a bad investment, I just want to make the least bad investment possible.

inv4zn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Country flag
My issue is more about saving money. With my projected income in future years, a frugal lifestyle would be allow me to retire by 45. I fear I'd be making a mistake by not, for example, putting those savings into my Roth IRA.

I may have more in repairs in the long run, but I doubt those extra repairs would add up to 7% of the value I'd most likely get per year in my IRA, not including compounding interest.

I can't afford to not save as much now. Later on, I can.

Cars in general are a bad investment, I just want to make the least bad investment possible.
I understand, but you've already made a bad investment.

In theory, what you're describing sounds like the better outcome, but with used cars it's impossible to tell -- hence why you should just ride it out.

Also, unless you're like 5, the fact that you think you can retire at 45 does not make sense considering you're worried about a $250/mo expense.

OP
OP

Civic97Or14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Civic 4D Sedan LX
I understand, but you've already made a bad investment.

In theory, what you're describing sounds like the better outcome, but with used cars it's impossible to tell -- hence why you should just ride it out.

Also, unless you're like 5, the fact that you think you can retire at 45 does not make sense considering you're worried about a $250/mo expense.
I do have a plan for the retirement. Definitely have to be frugal, though. I might just keep my current Civic, just unsure if that's the wrong decision, though.

If I do keep it, definitely looking for guides to keep 9th gens running and healthy for as long as possible.

Sgtstaadanko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I do have a plan for the retirement. Definitely have to be frugal, though. I might just keep my current Civic, just unsure if that's the wrong decision, though.

If I do keep it, definitely looking for guides to keep 9th gens running and healthy for as long as possible.
I'd probably check the 9th gen forums... Also don't ever think of a car as an investment, you will never make money off a car, unless, of course, it's some rare old highly sought after rig, which a Honda Civic LX will never be.

OP
OP

Civic97Or14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Civic 4D Sedan LX
I'd probably check the 9th gen forums... Also don't ever think of a car as an investment, you will never make money off a car, unless, of course, it's some rare old highly sought after rig, which a Honda Civic LX will never be.
Maybe I'm just an idiot, but I don't see the 9th gen forum.

Civics4Ever

Rally Red EXT
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Civic Sedan LX, 17 Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I would say if you lived in the south, where the roads aren't salted, get a 6th gen. They are easy to fix and will go 300k if maintained properly. I had a new 85 last 15 years and 265k. The frame rusted away. Still ran great.

Zerostatic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Fit, Honda CR-V
Country flag
Keep your 9th gen. People tend to underestimate transactional costs/time investment when buying and selling big ticket items (especially cars and houses) not to mention that you're not factoring risk into your calculations (the risk that the 6th gen has major problems after you buy it).

It's not like you bought an NSX or a BMW. You purchases a used economy car with low miles. If you want to be financially smart stop buying and selling and keep this car until the cost of a repair is more than the value of the car (which won't be for many years). If your goal is to retire early you should be maxing out your Roth IRA but if that is hard to do with a $252 dollar payment then you need to work on your income (that could mean career change, more hours or a 2nd job).
Sponsored