6MT - Front end pop/crack on deceleration / reverse

Kristina

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 LX Manual
My 2016 LX 6MT has had, since new, a crack or pop noise that comes from the front end driver side on a) semi-aggressive deceleration at lower speeds, b) when getting off gas after aggressive acceleration, or c) the first reverse movement after forward travel (that is, if you reverse, stop, then reverse again, it doesn't do it - just on the first movement after moving forward).

It's directly linked to that force of the deceleration/reverse. It happens independent of braking, on two different sets of tires/rims, in gear or not. The noise is comparable to how a balljoint with no grease would 'crack' when forced to move.

I finally got the dealership to check it on my first oil change and they replicated the noise and had the mechanic and QC guy on it but say since the car is so new they have limited info on what it could be, and they can't tell precisely where it's coming from. They said they think maybe a driveshaft or suspension issue but will have to look into experiences at other dealerships to see if anyone else has had the same problem.

I'm not overly concerned but I would like to figure out what it is... anyone else have the same issue?
Sponsored

Last edited:

calonzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
My 2016 LX 6MT has had, since new, a crack or pop noise that comes from the front end driver side on a) semi-aggressive deceleration at lower speeds, b) when getting off gas after aggressive acceleration, or c) the first reverse movement after forward travel (that is, if you reverse, stop, then reverse again, it doesn't do it - just on the first movement after moving forward).

It's directly linked to that force of the deceleration/reverse. It happens independent of braking, on two different sets of tires/rims, in gear or not. The noise is comparable to how a balljoint with no grease would 'crack' when forced to move.

I finally got the dealership to check it on my first oil change and they replicated the noise and had the mechanic and QC guy on it but say since the car is so new they have limited info on what it could be, and they can't tell precisely where it's coming from. They said they think maybe a driveshaft or suspension issue but will have to look into experiences at other dealerships to see if anyone else has had the same problem.

I'm not overly concerned but I would like to figure out what it is... anyone else have the same issue?
What you are describing sounds like the sway bar links. Of course you wouldn't expect them to be bad so soon, but you also wouldn't expect to have that noise so soon, either. It's worth having them look at them.

glossyprimerX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Sport Hatch MT Sonic Gray
Country flag

I've owned a few shops and I found you aren't noticing the "sound" during breaking it 100% is coming from one of the points the drivetrain assembly is connected to the subframe.

Meaning, mount to drivetrain bolts, mount to subframe bolts or a combination. I haven't had a chance to look at my car (same as yours 6MT) but many newly manufactured cars have liquid filled mounts, it is also possible one of the mounts "popped."

Easy to know, simply look at each mount with a bright light, you would see an oily substance in the area. Yell at your dealer, and tell them you want all of the mounting bolts re-torqued!

Good Luck!

howrd29

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic LX
Vehicle Showcase
Just wondering... so it is not a "click" noise? I have a click noise coming from my left wheel area when starting to move from stop, or revering. Once click only each time. Starts happening after the wheel or joints warmed up due to driving. Honda has a notice out that "break click is normal" - so when changing my tires I took the break apart, cleaned and re-greased all the proper connections and it's still clicking - hard to see where the "click" would come from.

In any case, I think our issues are different, so I will stop blabbing about mine.
Sponsored