35 HP in 15 minutes? Really

DDXXYa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 2016 1.5T
What's your knock count?
Not sure, don't have the tools to measure it. If it counts at all, I haven't noticed any knocking or unusual engine sounds since installing it. As well, since this chip doesn't replace the ECU (being a piggyback) all engine safeguards should still be in place from what I understand.
Sponsored

Last edited:

DarkLight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic-2016 LX 6MT
Country flag
That chip is skewing sensor outputs to increase boost/fuel, at a bare minimum. I'd recommend a good OBD-II reader that will tell you what the A/F ratios and knock count are. If you are running 87 octane, I would bet that you are seeing some knock, and the computer is compensating by pulling the timing. You don't necessarily have to hear it for it to be happening. Try running some 93 through it and see if you don't feel a difference.

Personally, I would never recommend something like this since it won't give you what a real tune can, and you are taking somewhat of risk with any piggyback controller.

DDXXYa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 2016 1.5T
That chip is skewing sensor outputs to increase boost/fuel, at a bare minimum. I'd recommend a good OBD-II reader that will tell you what the A/F ratios and knock count are. If you are running 87 octane, I would bet that you are seeing some knock, and the computer is compensating by pulling the timing. You don't necessarily have to hear it for it to be happening. Try running some 93 through it and see if you don't feel a difference.

Personally, I would never recommend something like this since it won't give you what a real tune can, and you are taking somewhat of risk with any piggyback controller.

Thanks for the heads up. I'll try looking into getting an OBD-II reader and filling up with 93 octane gas to see if there's a difference.

I did quite a bit of research into this company and they seem to be quite well regarded, especially amongst BMW owners. I'll keep an eye on things but so far I've been very happy with it and don't have any issues.

DarkLight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic-2016 LX 6MT
Country flag
Thanks for the heads up. I'll try looking into getting an OBD-II reader and filling up with 93 octane gas to see if there's a difference.

I did quite a bit of research into this company and they seem to be quite well regarded, especially amongst BMW owners. I'll keep an eye on things but so far I've been very happy with it and don't have any issues.
It's just that, for less than what you paid, you could have gotten a full end-user tuning platform with real-time data logging capabilities that would allow near infinite adjustability for practically any setup you want. Hondata is coming out with FlashPro for the 1.5 and KTuner is also releasing their own kit, all for less than what you paid for that chip. You would have just needed to wait a little longer.

Hope it works out for you.

DDXXYa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 2016 1.5T
It's just that, for less than what you paid, you could have gotten a full end-user tuning platform with real-time data logging capabilities that would allow near infinite adjustability for practically any setup you want. Hondata is coming out with FlashPro for the 1.5 and KTuner is also releasing their own kit, all for less than what you paid for that chip. You would have just needed to wait a little longer.

Hope it works out for you.
Thanks, but I'm happy with an essentially plug-and-play chip that doesn't require extensive tuning. The RaceChip One was also relatively inexpensive for the performance gained at around USD$144 so I have no regrets so far!

DarkLight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic-2016 LX 6MT
Country flag
Thanks, but I'm happy with an essentially plug-and-play chip that doesn't require extensive tuning. The RaceChip One was also relatively inexpensive for the performance gained at around USD$144 so I have no regrets so far!
There are plug-and-base maps already uploaded to the software, and they provide significantly more performance than any piggyback. I used to use piggybacks on my cars when I was a cheap college undergrad and didn't care about them. Real tuning is so much better.

And you got it for $144? Sounds like a deal. Sort of. I would never put anything that cheap anywhere near my car.:fear:

DDXXYa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 2016 1.5T
There are plug-and-base maps already uploaded to the software, and they provide significantly more performance than any piggyback. I used to use piggybacks on my cars when I was a cheap college undergrad and didn't care about them. Real tuning is so much better.

And you got it for $144? Sounds like a deal. Sort of. I would never put anything that cheap anywhere near my car.:fear:
Oh gotcha. I'm also reluctant to reflash the actual ECU in case it causes any warranty issues. $144 is for the Racechip One, their most basic model. They also have the Racechip Ultimate, which promises more power but is closer to $600. Thanks for your advice and insight!

1WickedCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX Sedan, 2007 Mercedes Benz C230 Sport 6MT
I did quite a bit of research into this company and they seem to be quite well regarded, especially amongst BMW owners.
The reviews of Race Chip among BMW owners are actually quite mixed, with most being on the negative side. Having owned an E90 335i which received a number of mods during the time I had it, I wouldn't even entertain the idea of using this. As I mentioned in an earlier post, the company has a skewed view of "tuning". I would advise either pulling it when going to the dealer for any kind of service, as your warranty will be voided on the spot if they see the box, or mounting it in such a way as it is not readily visible.

MrOverSt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Hey everyone,

Just wanted to pop in and say that I got RaceChip One delivered about a week ago (from www.racechip.eu) after doing some research on their company and have only good things to say about it. Installation took about 15 minutes because I had some difficulty finding the location of the 2 connectors under the hood, but I think that now I found them I could remove and install it again in <5 minutes. Acceleration feels much stronger and power delivery is very smooth and linear. Out of the box, the power improvement wasn't very noticeable, but after fine adjustments to the tuning of the chip (as simple as turning a knob inside the chip with a screwdriver) the increase in power and low-end torque is very significant. Also, I haven't had any CELs thrown after about 1000 km of driving. Highly recommend it to anyone who wants a simple way to increase their Civic's power without any major modifications.

Pics / Video or it didn’t happen.

tomybkp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic FC, Cooper S R56
Vehicle Showcase
Here is my personal review on racechip includes boost comparison before and after

Sponsored