Vehicle(s)
2016 black pearl Civic EX-T coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

biffosaur

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Fusion Sport, 98 Civic Dx (turbo/Blown), 98 Civic Ex (Blown), 87 CRX HF, 94 F150 302
A tune giving you that much power isn't out of the realm of possible.

I'm a bit interested to see some more explanation on how it functions, it looks similar to the boostmax or other plug-and-play units...not a reflash of the ecu but a middleman device.

1WickedCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX Sedan, 2007 Mercedes Benz C230 Sport 6MT
Came across this, to good to be true? you decide
It's a piggyback - in my experience, not a recommended way to tune a vehicle; usually done when the company cannot crack the vehicle manufacturer's ECU encryption or doesn't want to expend the resources to do so. Claimed performance is achieved by "fooling" various engine sensors - below is a brief explanation of how it works, along with ways to tune today's modern engine:

http://www.evans-tuning.com/tech-articles/tuning-101

sunnysunday

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic ex-t 2016
Country flag
Sweet!

I wanna scoop up one of these bad boys. Would be cool to not have to buy an exhaust to get more power and speed.

OP
OP
Ghostinnc

Ghostinnc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It's a piggyback - in my experience, not a recommended way to tune a vehicle; usually done when the company cannot crack the vehicle manufacturer's ECU encryption or doesn't want to expend the resources to do so. Claimed performance is achieved by "fooling" various engine sensors - below is a brief explanation of how it works, along with ways to tune today's modern engine:

Very :goodpost:

OP
OP
Ghostinnc

Ghostinnc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

Kind of confirms your reply to an extent, every ECU is different and most likely I will not be the Guinea pig to find out!!
http://www.enginebasics.com/EFI Tuning/Piggyback Vs Standalone.html

silverrascal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX hatch
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
ECU flashing is probably much more refined and less troublesome. But even on my GTI which has a stage 1 tune from APR experienced some hiccups from time to time. But 99% of the time, the tune was perfect and it took less than 30 minutes to flash the ECU. Dramatically faster than stock. Worth it.

Piggy back in this case may still be too early for the Honda. I will likely wait a little longer to see if more reputable tuners start coming out with software solutions for the Civic turbo.

OP
OP
Ghostinnc

Ghostinnc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
ECU flashing is probably much more refined and less troublesome. But even on my GTI which has a stage 1 tune from APR experienced some hiccups from time to time. But 99% of the time, the tune was perfect and it took less than 30 minutes to flash the ECU. Dramatically faster than stock. Worth it.

Piggy back in this case may still be too early for the Honda. I will likely wait a little longer to see if more reputable tuners start coming out with software solutions for the Civic turbo.
Yeah my sentiments exactly, that's why started this thread looks good on paper but my knowledge of this topic is limited and as the proverb says "Good things come to those who wait"

Troy Jollimore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring, 2018 VW Golf
Country flag
Well, someone has to be first. They'll refine it as time goes on, but that's one of the pros of a forced induction motor. Turn up the boost and adjust the fuel and you get HUGE gains. The issue now is the manufacturers have a better idea of where the limits are, so there's less room to improve. 100hp per litre used to be normal, now it's 150 from stock.

OP
OP
Ghostinnc

Ghostinnc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Well, someone has to be first. They'll refine it as time goes on, but that's one of the pros of a forced induction motor. Turn up the boost and adjust the fuel and you get HUGE gains. The issue now is the manufacturers have a better idea of where the limits are, so there's less room to improve. 100hp per litre used to be normal, now it's 150 from stock.
Well it aint gunna be me lol the whole piggy back thing causes me concern, but being manufactured in Germany and as you say only time will tell we'll see plus 600 buck a roo's
aint cheap

jk147

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
It is possible, sure. Just remap boost will give you more horsepower if the turbo is capable to do so.

Reliability wise, high HP, small engine, small turbo and CVT... Will be skeptical.

Troy Jollimore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring, 2018 VW Golf
Country flag
Tons of reliable setups like that. Pretty sure that if Honda's done an engine like this, they'll have left plenty of overhead.

DDXXYa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 2016 1.5T
Hey everyone,

Just wanted to pop in and say that I got RaceChip One delivered about a week ago (from www.racechip.eu) after doing some research on their company and have only good things to say about it. Installation took about 15 minutes because I had some difficulty finding the location of the 2 connectors under the hood, but I think that now I found them I could remove and install it again in <5 minutes. Acceleration feels much stronger and power delivery is very smooth and linear. Out of the box, the power improvement wasn't very noticeable, but after fine adjustments to the tuning of the chip (as simple as turning a knob inside the chip with a screwdriver) the increase in power and low-end torque is very significant. Also, I haven't had any CELs thrown after about 1000 km of driving. Highly recommend it to anyone who wants a simple way to increase their Civic's power without any major modifications.