3 way coolant joint recall

Stegodon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX Hatchback
Vehicle Showcase
Hey guys just got this recall notice today

Just sharing it out their for everyone to double check with their dealers for effected cars

Says it could cause clogging which leads to overheating!!

Worth a check out

Thanks

Honda Civic 10th gen 3 way coolant joint recall IMG_2206.PNG
Sponsored

xcoreflyup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Hatchback Sport (Traded in), 2022 BIG PRIUS
Country flag
Mine is 2017 HB sport, manufactured in Oct/Nov 2016...just checked hondas website..100% clear

Thanks for the info

CivicChina

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5t 6MT Cosmic Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Same recall in China for the cars built in december 2016, they already did the update several months ago!

General_M

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Hatch
I just called my dealer about it and they've told me my car isn't affected. I think it's also important to note that it says you've got nothing to worry about if you have not done any kind of service to the cooling system.
With how new the car is, I doubt that's happened yet. So give your dealer a call if you're really worried about it, but I don't think this is anything that should concern anyone in the short term.

Edit: I stand corrected, after reading out the actual bulletin number, they ordered the part and I have an appointment on Monday. They're saying it'll take 2-3 hours to take care of it.

Still not something to worry about in the short term. But probably a good idea to give your dealer a call.

Last edited:

glbg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Sports Hatchback
Country flag
Got the same notice yesterday. I have 2017 HB.

BrianDevin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 EX HatchWagon
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Based on the letter, I inferred that there is no real threat to the car right now, as it already has the coolant needed inside and it still flows through as needed. Sounds like more of a fix for when service is needed

nyczrayy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback EX Lunar Silver
Country flag
Darn, I just got the letter too

BarracksSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Sport Touring Hatch; '17 CR-V EX. Formerly '02 EP3.
Country flag
Based on the letter, I inferred that there is no real threat to the car right now, as it already has the coolant needed inside and it still flows through as needed. Sounds like more of a fix for when service is needed
Yup. If it were an immediately important problem, it'd be a safety recall.

Anyway, I got my letter a few days ago, and I'm going in tomorrow morning to get it done. I mentioned in another thread that I might try to get a pic of the "faulty" 3-way connector before they swap it.

But, damn, I wonder if I can see it. I think it's #8 in this diagram:
http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com...y5=RADIATOR+HOSE+-+EXPANSION+TANK&vinsrch=yes

Honda Civic 10th gen 3 way coolant joint recall TGG4B0510A

BarracksSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Turns out that it's right there on top of everything. One pic before, one after, and the service record.

I'll be darned if I can spot any external changes between these connectors. The revision must be internal.

Honda Civic 10th gen 3 way coolant joint recall IMG_3421.JPG

Honda Civic 10th gen 3 way coolant joint recall IMG_3445.JPG

Honda Civic 10th gen 3 way coolant joint recall IMG_3468.JPG

Sman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 EX Hatch w/ Sensing
Looks like it would be a 5 minute job. Did it take them long?

BarracksSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Looks like it would be a 5 minute job. Did it take them long?
Nope, not long. In before 0800, out before 0900. I'm sure most of the time was spent waiting for it to cool down before removing the original one.

BarracksSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Now that I've looked at the pics on my laptop, I may have noticed an identifying mark on the new one.

There's a little raised dot molded in the recessed part in the upper right corner. It's barely a millimeter wide.

If you got a letter and get the recall done, check for this little dot before-and-after. If this is indeed the identifying mark, it'l be worth knowing for the future.

Some years back, Apple did a safety recall for their small USB power adapters, and the replacement ones were identified with a bright green dot. That's what got me thinking about this connector's dot.

maaaaackle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport Hatch 6MT
Country flag
Now that I've looked at the pics on my laptop, I may have noticed an identifying mark on the new one.

There's a little raised dot molded in the recessed part in the upper right corner. It's barely a millimeter wide.

If you got a letter and get the recall done, check for this little dot before-and-after. If this is indeed the identifying mark, it'l be worth knowing for the future.

Some years back, Apple did a safety recall for their small USB power adapters, and the replacement ones were identified with a bright green dot. That's what got me thinking about this connector's dot.
I saw the dot too and was gonna comment but you posted this.

Good to hear that you had it replaced! Gonna probably take mine in as soon as I get a letter

BarracksSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
FYI --

If you go to Honda's Owners website (owners.honda.com, I think), get registered, and use the "Ask Dave" automated chat tool, you can copy-paste your VIN to "Dave" and it'll say whether you're due for the new joint.
Sponsored