2018 Civic Type R: facts guide

BlackStud525

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic EX-L 9th gen
Country flag
Agreed 100%....the Type R is a nice track car that can be street driven but as a daily, the cheap shiny plastic interior, the lack of basic features and options, the cheesy circa 1990 empty switch plates on the dash, the cheesy empty switch plates on the steering wheel, no volume knob, cheap hard plastic window switches, same basic dash as base civic, wimpy exhaust, fake black vents outside, cheap materials overall, tinny sounding doors when you close them, too Manu mechanical issues already with them....

Do I go on? Oh, and it is stupid to pay that much for a souped up cheap civic.

So much for all the VW haters ragging on the Golf R for quality issues when their Type R's are overheating...
wow you seriously nit pick everything, this is a sports based car not a high end vehicle. If you have not noticed this car has alot of features that are a bargain such as gps, led based headlights, fogs, functional aero, brembo and everything else all for 35k. Also just because a car that doesnt sound like a tank when closing the door means its cheap quality?? get over yourself, a ctr is a track focused vehicle so weight savings is very important. The engineers are much smarter than an average joe like yourself when it comes to an exhaust system, its to reduce droning when inside the vehicle. This provides smoothness and a reliablity factor so it keeps it a nice daily driver. Its true the ctr has been having alot of issues so what? if you dont like it dont buy it.

Mick the Quick

First Name
Mick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PMM Civic Type R (R-08508)
Country flag
Well, Golf R with DSG and Navigation costs around $41K. CTR is $35K.

I sure hope Golf R is a better car, with more expensive interior.

I heard a nasty rumor that an M2 is a much better car than either of them.

:)

taiso0019

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR | 2022 Veloster N | 2015 TuRD PRO
Country flag
when it comes to an exhaust system, its to reduce droning when inside the vehicle.
Yup. Can confirm, took a nice roadtrip this weekend. No drone on the highway as long as you were in a cruising gear. Would have liked for a bit more noise down low and maybe being able to rev the car in neutral to about 5500-6000 rpm.

Also the heavy door thud argument from canadasiguy is garbage. I can already picture some crappy used car salesman trying to use that as a selling point. 'Look how hard I can slam this door! Built like a tank, right?' My in laws had a Durango with very solid closing doors, that didn't keep the engine from being worked on at least twice a year, or the transmission having issues, or all the leaks and overall problems they had. They couldn't get rid of it quickly enough when the dealership actually offered them something for a trade.

My GTI had slightly heavier doors than the R (by ounces maybe...) that didn't keep the water pump, HPFP, or ECU from having issues. Limp mode was super fun in rush hour traffic...said no one ever. Also the cloth never looked clean and the cheap DSG paddle decals fell off. Loved the plaid seats though.

Last edited:

Mick the Quick

First Name
Mick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Yup. Can confirm, took a nice roadtrip this weekend. No drone on the highway as long as you were in a cruising gear. Would have liked for a bit more noise down low and maybe being able to rev the car in neutral to about 5500-6000 rpm.

Also the heavy door thud argument from canadasiguy is garbage. I can already picture some crappy used car salesman trying to use that as a selling point. 'Look how hard I can slam this door! Built like a tank, right?' My in laws had a Durango with very solid closing doors, that didn't keep the engine from being worked on at least twice a year, or the transmission having issues, or all the leaks and overall problems they had. They couldn't get rid of it quickly enough when the dealership actually offered them something for a trade.

My GTI had slightly heavier doors than the R (by ounces maybe...) that didn't keep the water pump, HFFP, or ECU from having issues. Limp mode was super fun in rush hour traffic...said no one ever. Also the cloth never looked clean and the cheap DSG paddle decals fell off. Loved the plaid seats though.
What, you don't want to drive in a bank vault? Sacrilege! Personally, I much prefer the secure feeling of a gun safe.

dawsonj87

First Name
Dawson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Civic EX Coupe, 2001 Honda CB250
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Honestly a refreshed Type-R (or entire Civic lineup in case I go for an Si) would be perfect for me; I graduate college in 2020, so right when I get into the engineering field and settle into a house/apartment, the refresh will be waiting for me. It'd be sad if the Type-R didn't live on into 2019 and 2020, but I'm really curious what Honda would do if that were the case. I feel that possibly the Si could then receive more power, either in the form of a tune/reworked 1.5T or a 2.0T, seeing as the R would no longer be the top of the line model. That's a bit farfetched, but I don't think it is impossible. It's really a gamble at this point to make any decisions so far down the road. I'm just excited to see how it plays out. Curious as to what different variants will be like.

erbee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Nissan Altima, 2004 BMW M3
Country flag
Well, Golf R with DSG and Navigation costs around $41K. CTR is $35K.

I sure hope Golf R is a better car, with more expensive interior.

I heard a nasty rumor that an M2 is a much better car than either of them.

:)
M2 is the best M car so far. $49k bare bone M2 for USAA members. But you can see all the evidence of cost cutting. I dunno, maybe some car maker prefer to spend money on the car parts instead of door seals. And I'm okay with that.

NorcalCTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type R #3855, 2007 Honda Civic Si, 2001 Honda Civic EX (Sold)
Country flag
If the MSRP pricing of the 2018 model comes up...I wonder if the ADM will also increase with it? :dunno:

Mick the Quick

First Name
Mick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
If the MSRP pricing of the 2018 model comes up...I wonder if the ADM will also increase with it? :dunno:
ADM has nothing to do with MSRP - it's just a made up number that stealers pull out of their bum bum.

I sure hope that ADM will be substantially reduced, if not wholly eliminated, for 2018s after the burning demand from introductory publicity settle down.

ChrisSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si sedan, 2009 Pilot
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I sure hope that ADM will be substantially reduced, if not wholly eliminated, for 2018s after the burning demand from introductory publicity settle down.
Dealers around me are selling Type Rs at MSRP. Milwaukee/Chicago.