2018 Civic Type R: facts guide

Sidreco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Honda Civic SiR / 2006 Subaru Impreza WRX STi / 2017 Honda Civic type R (CW)
Country flag
They wanted to see it wrapped first, then they'll release it lol!

Imagine the ADM on a Phoenix yellow CTR?! ;) HPJ will probably take the bridge!
check this vid; yellow wrap

Sponsored

gtolio

First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 EP3 Si hatch, 2019 Civic Sport Hatch 6spd, 2017 Honda Ruckus
Country flag
I'd be pissed off if I bought a 2018, then a couple new colors come out for the 2019 CTR, with one of them being Phoenix Yellow :nono:
I wouldn't be surprised if that's one of the colors in the future (or a similar yellow). There has been a lot of interest in that.

OP
OP
RatedR

RatedR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1992 Integra GS-R (sold). 2000 Integra Type R (sold). 2017 Civic Type R.
Country flag
To everyone commenting about 2019-2020- I'll leave this:
Honda has only confirmed the CTR for 2017-2018 and made mention they would evaluate sales and current market trends to leave the door open to continue producing the CTR beyond 2018. That is all the info you will get from any higher up at Honda corp at this time.

heavyD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F87
Country flag
Honda has only confirmed the CTR for 2017-2018 and made mention they would evaluate sales and current market trends to leave the door open to continue producing the CTR beyond 2018. That is all the info you will get from any higher up at Honda corp at this time.
It's coming. I refuse to believe that they will stop bringing them over after 2018 as that is so nonsensical that even the worst run automobile manufacturer couldn't make that mistake as it's akin to going out of your way not to supply your customer base for no justifiable reason. There's no reason at all not go bring it right to the end of the generation run seeing the the boats leave with North American hatches on a regular basis and they all come from the same facility. I'm sure some current owners would like to cling to this in hopes of exclusivity but I simply think that's a little naive to think they will stop bringing over a car that has an obvious demand when it costs Honda nothing to bring them over. They still brought the ITR over to the end of that generation and plenty of those collected dust on dealer lots. There's more demand for this car.

Last edited:

gtolio

First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 EP3 Si hatch, 2019 Civic Sport Hatch 6spd, 2017 Honda Ruckus
Country flag
True, but just about every Honda model cycle is 4 years with a refresh in the middle (even the DC2 ITR). They have to do this in order to subsidize the cost of the model. I'm sure if it was a big flop, they would have considered canceling it (a la the 2012 Civic), but it seems to be exactly the opposite. Unless sales completely tank next year (which, I think, is highly unlikely), I think we are all but guaranteed another 2 years.

jdmorangefever

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
93 eg, 17 type r, 16 crv
Country flag
Maybe the dealers holding it for large adm are making sales numbers drop.. hmm whatever it is im just glad i got my type r.

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
Maybe the dealers holding it for large adm are making sales numbers drop.. hmm whatever it is im just glad i got my type r.
that would really be the main concern imo. They would look at the sales numbers but if dealers are charging ridiculously ADM, the sales number would be actually lower than what the demand really is.

OP
OP
RatedR

RatedR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1992 Integra GS-R (sold). 2000 Integra Type R (sold). 2017 Civic Type R.
Country flag
It's coming. I refuse to believe that they will stop bringing them over after 2018 as that is so nonsensical that even the worst run automobile manufacturer couldn't make that mistake as it's akin to going out of your way not to supply your customer base for no justifiable reason. There's no reason at all not go bring it right to the end of the generation run seeing the the boats leave with North American hatches on a regular basis and they all come from the same facility. I'm sure some current owners would like to cling to this in hopes of exclusivity but I simply think that's a little naive to think they will stop bringing over a car that has an obvious demand when it costs Honda nothing to bring them over. They still brought the ITR over to the end of that generation and plenty of those collected dust on dealer lots. There's more demand for this car.
Maybe, maybe not. The ITR was made for 2 yrs. Then skipped a year, and then came back for 2 more years. Honda has always kept exclusivity on the Rs. And while there is plenty of demand now for the car, that doesn't mean there will be in 2020. New models will come out to take the CTR throne, market shifts, our new housing bubble could bust again sending sales crumbling down...way too many variables to speculate. I'm not saying they won't continue to produce it, I'm just telling you as of right now that decision hasn't been made.

heavyD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F87
Country flag
Maybe, maybe not. The ITR was made for 2 yrs. Then skipped a year, and then came back for 2 more years. Honda has always kept exclusivity on the Rs. And while there is plenty of demand now for the car, that doesn't mean there will be in 2020. New models will come out to take the CTR throne, market shifts, our new housing bubble could bust again sending sales crumbling down...way too many variables to speculate. I'm not saying they won't continue to produce it, I'm just telling you as of right now that decision hasn't been made.
Thanks for that but I'm not worried in the least bit. I'm pencilling myself in for a 2019 model.

NorcalCTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type R #3855, 2007 Honda Civic Si, 2001 Honda Civic EX (Sold)
Country flag
I have been thinking about this too. Everyone is assuming the MY2019 and MY2020 will be around but there's really no confirmation on it. I don't think anyone really knows till it actually happens. My original thought was to wait around MY2019 or MY2020 as the ADM drops to get the CTR but if they pull the plug early on the car then I'm SOL. This car is special and I want one so I'm pulling the trigger early, in case they decide to stop production early. Dealerships will jack up the ADM again if Honda does announce they are stopping production with only a two year run. Look at the RS, that is a two year production run and the car had great reviews and a loyal fanbase. I'm shocked that it won't last longer than two years, even though I would never consider buying one.

heavyD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F87
Country flag
I have been thinking about this too. Everyone is assuming the MY2019 and MY2020 will be around but there's really no confirmation on it. I don't think anyone really knows till it actually happens. My original thought was to wait around MY2019 or MY2020 as the ADM drops to get the CTR but if they pull the plug early on the car then I'm SOL. This car is special and I want one so I'm pulling the trigger early, in case they decide to stop production early. Dealerships will jack up the ADM again if Honda does announce they are stopping production with only a two year run. Look at the RS, that is a two year production run and the car had great reviews and a loyal fanbase. I'm shocked that it won't last longer than two years, even though I would never consider buying one.
The current model Focus RS run is ending because it's the last year of the current Focus generation. Has nothing to do with Ford discontinuing the RS as the Ford Germany plant will be retooling for 2019 models. This mentality of worrying about Honda not bringing the car beyond 2018 is simply playing into the hands of dealers charging ADM so don't expect dealers to rush out and tell you that more CTR's are on the way as they like it the way it is now and they like speculation that there won't be 2019's. Honda has never said they won't bring it after 2018. They simply didn't commit to anything prior to the launch of the car. Nothing to worry about at all.

ayau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Country flag
that would really be the main concern imo. They would look at the sales numbers but if dealers are charging ridiculously ADM, the sales number would be actually lower than what the demand really is.
Honda knows the true demand for the CTR isn't accurate due to the ADM.

Honda can produce more to force dealers to lower the prices, but they probably won't do that.

The most likely scenario is these ADM CTRs will sit on the lots for a few months and dealers will slowly drop the price to MSRP.

ayau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Country flag
The 10th gen UK hatch was the reason why they were able to bring the CTR to North America.

Unless something drastic changes, I don't see Honda discontinuing them for North America. They'll for sure bring less of them after 2018 due to the initial demand dying.