1. Guest, see the CivicX Forum Rules and User Agreement before posting.  After reading click here to dismiss this notice →
    Dismiss Notice

Featured 2018 Civic Type R: facts guide

Discussion in 'Civic Type R Forum (FK8 - 10th Gen)' started by RatedR, Aug 18, 2017.

1. RatedR

RatedR Senior Member

Featured Threads:
    Car(s):
    92 Integra GS-R (sold). 00 Integra Type R (sold).
    Confirmed: 2018 Civic Type R will be no different than the 2017. Same colors offered. Same trim level. (The 2018 Civic Hatch Facts Guide just listed on the Honda IN today for dealers).

The_Fenix_2.0, Meat Hammer, Pyru and 18 others thanked this.
  2. Chee_hu

Chee_hu Senior Member

First Name:
    Sherwin
    Car(s):
    #611 Rallye Red CTR | 1998 Civic EX | 2007 Honda Fit Sport
    BOOM!

3. THE! CrazyKiwi

THE! CrazyKiwi Senior Member

Car(s):
    I like trucks coz I'm a truck guy.
    That jives with what I have been hearing.

Trey thanked this.
  4. NorcalCTR

NorcalCTR Senior Member

Car(s):
    2017 Honda Civic Type R #3855, 2007 Honda Civic Si, 2001 Honda Civic EX (Sold)
    Looks like people looking for a volume knob will need to wait for MY2019 now.

typemismatch and J35W2 thanked this.
  5. heavyD Senior Member

Car(s):
    2016 Golf R
    I think 2019 will be the model to get. Hopefully a bit of a mid-cycle update on the styling (there has to be a way to reduce the awful black honeycomb trim that ruins the look of the car) and some fixes for some of the issues that are kind of alarming given the low volume of owners. Oh and yes the volume knob.:D

The_Fenix_2.0 thanked this.
  6. Zooropa82

Zooropa82 Senior Member

Featured Threads:
    Car(s):
    '16 Civic EX-T - '17 CRV EX
    Waiting for 2019 be like....

images.jpg

7. heavyD Senior Member

Car(s):
    2016 Golf R
    Not when you are driving a Golf R w/DSG which is arguably a better overall car for a daily driver. Sorry guys but the R interior is light years ahead of the Type R (more comparable to Audi & BMW than the Type R, Focus RS, and STI that all have mediocre quality interiors) and the DSG equipped R is the fastest straight line car in the segment. The more I drive this car the less getting a Type R is a priority but since I have commitment issues with cars I know I will eventually change things up.

8. hound1045

hound1045 Member

Car(s):
    2004 S2000; 2017 CTR
    The DSG (whatever that stands for...all I know is it's an automatic!) may very well be the "superior" transmission in that I have no doubt it's faster, smoother, whatever other attribute you want to attach to it. The problem for a lot of us is this - we ONLY drive manual transmissions. We don't drive manual transmissions because they are faster or better or whatever, we drive them because they are still the only type of transmission whereby the driver is in control and control equals more fun. There is just no substitute for 3 pedals and a stick. I'm honestly not trying to argue with you that the DSG is better, this is just an argument for manuals vs. automatics and you are either a 100% manual driver or you're not. For me, I only consider cars with manual transmissions, and I'm sure I'm not the only one out there.

9. heavyD Senior Member

Car(s):
    2016 Golf R
    Yes let's not do the Automatic vs Manual debate because it's a pointless argument at the end of the day. I went from TC-SST equipped EVO-X to 6-speed (Chinese made trash transmission) Mustang GT to 6-speed STI (bulletproof transmission), to 6-speed Focus ST (great transmission) to the Golf R so it's pretty clear I don't have a bias towards an transmission nor do I need a manual transmission for more fun as I've had just as much or more fun with my EVO and Golf R than the others. Personally I simply crave the best version of the car I am entertaining purchasing and if that version is the automatic then that's what I'm getting. There's no choice with the Type R and I'm totally fine with that as I enjoy a good manual transmission as much as a lightning fast automatic.

10. S2k_Dude

S2k_Dude Senior Member

Car(s):
    S2000
    Let's hope the 2018's are free of any problems, so hopefully some minor changes under the hood to fix the wiring and cooling issues we are seeing on the 2017's.

I think it's too bad for the US market that the UK gets features like ACC on the CTR that we don't get in the US. WTF Honda, why can't you at least sell the same trim level in all markets? People will pay a little extra to cover those incremental cost differences to have all the available features they offer in other countries.

The_Fenix_2.0 and RedR thanked this.
  11. CSIG1001 Senior Member

First Name:
    Chris
    Car(s):
    2004 V6 6 SPEED COUPE ACCORD
    pretty sure honda will have a revised harness already installed on the 2018s with the rev limiter issue and hopefully overheating issue with a upgraded part whatever may be causing the issue

12. hound1045

hound1045 Member

Car(s):
    2004 S2000; 2017 CTR
    I respect this response, but a big part of your argument as to why the Golf R is better is because it's quicker off the line ("fastest straight line car") in the segment. I could care less. The Type R could be 2 seconds slower 0-60 vs. the Golf R Automatic and I would still buy the Type R strictly because it has a manual transmission and the Golf R doesn't. Modern minivans leave me in the dust all the time in my S2000...maybe I should consider trading in the S for an Odyssey! I totally get you're a car aficionado and you've owned some great manuals and automatics...but you're not a 100% manual owner. Again, don't take this the wrong way as there is nothing wrong with your view of manual vs. automatic and wanting to buy the best/fastest car in the segment, I'm just arguing that for a lot of us here the manual transmission is all that matters vs. the competition that doesn't offer one.

The_Fenix_2.0, RyanCTR, uncleben and 6 others thanked this.
  13. Zooropa82

Zooropa82 Senior Member

Featured Threads:
    Car(s):
    '16 Civic EX-T - '17 CRV EX
    I don't care, I'm just saying lol.

SkyeHack and Ruckus thanked this.
  14. gtolio

gtolio Senior Member

First Name:
    Grant
    Car(s):
    CTR Downloading 33%... Please Wait. 2005 EP3 Si hatch, 2008 FA5 Si sedan, 2012 Xterra Pro4X
    Preach!

I think you're taking a lot of subjective things as fact. The Golf R interior is FAR more refined than the Type-R's, that is a fact. A DSG gearbox is faster than a manual gearbox, that is a fact. But to automatically assume that those things make the Golf R a better car for every person is a huge stretch. In fact, those things are precisely what I DON'T want to have in a driver's car. Also, I'm not looking for a daily driver. I think this car is meant to be driven, but I don't see everyone's infatuation with making it a daily driver.

The DSG gearbox is one of the best dual clutch manuals on the market. They're not bad to drive, and I'm glad that you can find enjoyment in owning one. However, that (or SST or any other paddle shift) will never be as engaging for me as a driver as having a true manual.

The_Fenix_2.0, Type_R J, RyanCTR and 2 others thanked this.
  15. Tim818

Tim818 Type R or Bust

Car(s):
    Civic
    I'd be pissed off if I bought a 2018, then a couple new colors come out for the 2019 CTR, with one of them being Phoenix Yellow :nono:

typemismatch and The_Fenix_2.0 thanked this.