1. Guest, see the CivicX Forum Rules and User Agreement before posting.  After reading click here to dismiss this notice →

Featured 2018 Civic Type R Could Debut in April (U.S.) with 335 BHP

Discussion in 'Civic Type R Forum (10th Gen)' started by Gaijin-Garage, Jan 16, 2017.

1. Gaijin-Garage

Gaijin-Garage Member

Featured Threads:
    Car(s):
    Civic SiR (EF9), Civic SiR-II (EG6), Orthia GX-Aero (EL2), Spoon-Sports Official Dealer
    I think this may be my first post on here :)

I'll put it in bullet point form I think is easiest, for those that don't know me, my sources are somewhat credible ;)

- CTR will be released in USA first, then UK/Europe, then Japan, then the rest of the world...
    (Australia may receive some cars in September 2017 (apparently) but there will be delivery delays i have no doubt.)
    So after never having any Civic Type R in the United States, you guys are being rewarded by receiving the first allocation.

- USA Release date is meant to be in April 2017.

- Japan release date is 'Summer 2017' which is around June - August.

- Japan will not be limited number of units (and lottery allocation) as was the FK2.
    The Type R will be available alongside of the Japan-built (!!) Civic Sedan (CVT), and UK build 5-Door (CVT) as a regular order-me-now, no limited numbers model..
    (Japan has not had a Civic on sale domestically since the FD2 was discontinued.)

- '340PS' for the Japan model is a figure I have seen from a credible source.

- Aside from Local mapping for fuel quality and atmospheric conditions etc, it is expected the car will be the same spec globally with the only difference being the side of the car the Steering Wheel is on :)

- After the release of the 'Prototype' CTR in October 2016, and having been on display in Japan at Tokyo Auto Salon this weekend past, there is an obvious opportunity for Honda to launch the 'production' model and official Specs, the New York International Auto Show (Apr 14 - Apr 23, 2017).
    This timing makes perfect sense, giving the Si time to move a few units, with the spec of the Si vs Type R, they obviously aren't aiming at the same customer. I'd expect some leaked Official factory catalog photos to pop up (of the production model) in the weeks/days before the Auto Show.. perhaps some teaser videos etc.

kahrazie, Braxford, zrwizard and 13 others thanked this.
  2. bobafettm Senior Member

Car(s):
    2006 Lotus Exige
    340 BHP makes perfect sense!

April 2017 seems strange for a release date when the car hasn't even released to the USA at an auto show. Especially if it debuts at the auto show in April ;)

But who knows... wonder if USA will see a limited number of CTR for its entire production lineup.

The_Fenix_2.0 thanked this.
  3. Gaijin-Garage

Gaijin-Garage Member

Featured Threads:
    Car(s):
    Civic SiR (EF9), Civic SiR-II (EG6), Orthia GX-Aero (EL2), Spoon-Sports Official Dealer
    USA and the world already know it's coming, they just haven't seen the final production model or specs.. so to launch this at the car show only a matter of weeks before it's actual release in USA wouldn't be completely out of order, there's probably already a 6 month wait in USA from Pre-orders already HAHA.
    From all we can tell so far, USA type R numbers will be only limited to as many as they can supply versus the global demand post USA release :D
    FK2 production has ended with the 'Black Edition' so that would mean there's an assembly line in Swindon that's already in action !

4. bobafettm Senior Member

Car(s):
    2006 Lotus Exige
    That's not horrible! I don't mind waiting till 2018. My fear was a true limited number of production like we see from auto suppliers.

5. s2kdriver80 Senior Member

Home Page:
    Car(s):
    MY03 Honda S2000
    So at this point, can it be assumed that the CTR won't be just a 1-year run? I'm thinking of waiting it out until they pass the shakedown phase and get the kinks ironed out, not in a rush. :D

The_Fenix_2.0 and bobafettm thanked this.
  6. Gaijin-Garage

Gaijin-Garage Member

Featured Threads:
    Car(s):
    that's right, unless sales completely tank in the USA in the first year (highly doubtful!!!) it will be a standard line-up model, no limited edition.. it will most likely survive through to the facelift 10th gen in ~2 years time :D

I understand you have some strange new-car-purchase laws in the states, with higher-than-sticker-price sales, waiting lists, etc.. so I don't know how this will work in your country, I'm sure people will pay extra to skip waiting lists etc.

7. Tim818 Type R or Bust

Car(s):
    Civic
    So Japan gets to order as much Type Rs as they want.....what about the U.S.? How many do we get?

That 340HP is probably for everyone else except America, knowing how conservative the tune is for us, we'll most likely see 320HP at the most....

8. dmitri

dmitri Senior Member

Car(s):
    2004 TSX 6MT
    Sounds like you have some specifics regarding the Si release - do you mind sharing? TIA

9. Eddie Senior Member

Featured Threads:
    Car(s):
    2014 Pilot, 08 Civic Si
    Hopefully this info is credible, thanks @Gaijin-Garage

Nothing a little map can't fix ;)

bobafettm and The_Fenix_2.0 thanked this.
  10. BABear70

BABear70 Senior Member

Claims Adjuster at Progressive Insurance
    Car(s):
    2016' Honda Civic Touring Sedan in Ralley Red, 2008' Saturn Sky Redline in Chili Pepper Red, 1997' Honda Civic CX Hatchback in Electron Blue Pearl
    The latest I have heard is that we will get to finally found out all specs and see the actual production version at the Geneva Motor Show between March 9th-19th 2017'.

BA...

11. JYR Senior Member

Featured Threads:
    Car(s):
    8th gen Si
    Sources in Swindon indicate a Geneva Debut.

The_Fenix_2.0 and Browncoat3000 thanked this.
  12. SPEEDANDTECH Senior Member

Car(s):
    Accords
    We still don't have a civic si in store. It would be nice. i would love me a civic ct-R.

The_Fenix_2.0 and phillyphan09 thanked this.
  13. Tim818 Type R or Bust

Car(s):
    Civic
    Shhhhh you don't want a Honda engineer reading your post and block tuning potential for the car :D

14. Browncoat3000

Browncoat3000 Senior Member

Featured Threads:
    Millennium Falcon Driver
    Car(s):
    Civic EX-T, Odyssey EX-L
    Garage Profiles:
    I doubt they Nerf the car for NA. They are selling it as a Ring-champion legend, something less than that would defeat the point.

It won't be an STi challenger with less power that's for sure.

The_Fenix_2.0 and Eddie thanked this.
  15. Eddie Senior Member

Featured Threads:
    Car(s):
    2014 Pilot, 08 Civic Si
    RolledaNsx over at VTEC.net whose a credible source there seems to agree with you regarding Geneva.

Quoted "
    Production CTR will debut at Geneva Motor Show in March.

Talk from HondaUK is that production for CTR will not start until Summer 17."

The_Fenix_2.0 and BABear70 thanked this.