2017 Si Driving Impressions and review - Turbo lag?

Wizerud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mini Clubman S All4
The manual only has to stay alive until autonomous cars are the norm. When our kids will be wondering why we were so crazy to actually drive our cars.
Sponsored

skycrapper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Si
The 9th gen pulled low to mid 6s consistently. If they made this car slower than the 9th and Ex, there's no way I'd buy it. Has to be the driver

JDM_DOHC_SiR

Uncle Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Acura TLX Type-S / 2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag

1.5CivicEX-T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
The manual only has to stay alive until autonomous cars are the norm. When our kids will be wondering why we were so crazy to actually drive our cars.
Probably won't happen for your kids, but their children definitely. There will still be pickups. Don't see those ever going away. Meanwhile, I'll just be chilling with my basic income for life while robots do their thing.

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MX-5 Miata GT-S, 2021 Ridgeline RTL-E
Country flag
Has to be the driver. We need official 0-60s from sources like car & driver ect.
I'm not even sure how meaningful those numbers are. ;)

2017 Ridgeline AWD 0-60

Motor Trend: 7.3 seconds
Car and Driver: 6.6 seconds
Consumer Reports: 7.3 seconds
Truck Trend: 7.4 seconds
Honda: 6.5 seconds based on "1.8 seconds faster than the 2014" which measured 8.3 seconds according to Motor Trend

Perhaps Car and Driver and Honda tested at a lower elevation on a cooler day with a minimal amount of fuel and a skinny driver.

Last edited:

1.5CivicEX-T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
I'm not even sure how meaningful those numbers. ;)

2017 Ridgeline AWD 0-60

Honda: 6.5 seconds based on "1.8 seconds faster than the 2014" which measured 8.3 seconds according to Motor Trend

Perhaps Car and Driver and Honda tested at a lower elevation on a cooler day with a minimal amount of fuel and a skinny driver.
So the Ridgeline may be faster than the Si if Car and Driver handles the test?

Redglare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 si, 11' z34.
Has to be the driver, my 9th gen on all season contis with only an rv6 DP would consistently get to 60 in under 6.5, with right conditions 6.1-6.2, i imagine if I had summer tires with less wheel spin in first i'd put down high 5's all day.

Also don't forget that one video of a stock EX-T walking away from a 9th gen Si,

I definitely feel like HPJ royally messed up the launch/ took too long to shift, If I had to guess I'd say the Si will be maybe a few tenth slower than manual gti to 60.

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Honestly, I'm not sure I really care what the 0-60 and 1/4-mile times are. How many Si owners will actually be engaging in competitive driving at the track or drag strip - especially with a stock vehicle that is capable of exactly the same things as thousand of others exactly like it? Not many, I'll bet. I surely won't.

Full-throttle acceleration and redline shifts are rarely safe, legal, or appropriate on public roadways with the power of modern vehicles - especially in the city. Highway entrance ramps are more than adequate for the slowest cars to get up to a safe speed before merging into traffic.

Just don't get butt-hurt when your dad pulls away from your "sporty" Civic Si with his "luxurious" Buick Regal.

Respect and enjoy the Si for what it is - a small, economical, lower-priced car with improved handling over other small, economical, lower-priced cars at the expensive of ride comfort. A race car it is not despite the marketing references. If the Si isn't enough, buy a Type R or something other than a Honda. It's not all that complicated of a decision once you figure out what your priorities are and reality sets in. :)

This is, after all, a run-of-the-mill Honda Civic except with some modifications performed at the factory by Honda instead of you doing them in your garage or paying your mechanic to do them. It is a Honda Civic Si.

So the Ridgeline may be faster than the Si if Car and Driver handles the test?
Someone's grandpa driving a Ridgeline with a Sea-Doo hanging off the hitch will be faster than an Si driven by HPJ. ;)

The Ridgeline will out-accelerate all the other mid-size pickups (Tacoma, Frontier, Colorado/Canyon) and many of the full-size pickups that have V8s or turbocharged engines. It will out-handle them all, but that's because its design is fundamentally different - it's more of a truck-shaped car that can do truck-like things.

Last edited:

Newflyer3

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
The J Engine was always fast in whatever you put it in. Except the Odyssey because of the detune.

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
The J Engine was always fast in whatever you put it in.
I love the J engine, but I have a lot of respect for Nissan's VQ as well. I had a VQ35HR in my Infiniti G35 with the same 3.5L of displacement, but 306 HP and a different, but nice sound all the way up to its 7,600 RPM redline good for a 0-60 run of 5.5 seconds of RWD goodness. That was a decade ago. I miss the performance, feel, and looks of that car.

Redglare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 si, 11' z34.
I love the J engine, but I have a lot of respect for Nissan's VQ as well. I had a VQ35HR in my Infiniti G35 with the same 3.5L of displacement, but 306 HP and a different, but nice sound all the way up to its 7,600 RPM redline good for a 0-60 run of 5.5 seconds of RWD goodness. That was a decade ago. I miss the performance, feel, and looks of that car.
I had the vq35hr in my 07 350z glorious engine still regret selling it. Now I have a vq37hr as my toy in my z34 and its just as much fun but honestly a little too much power for the type of driving I like to do, that's why i will be trading in my 12 si' for the 17' Si.

shameless plug of my vq;

LoveToDrive

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 LX MT, 2015 Si (RIP)
Full-throttle acceleration and redline shifts are rarely safe, legal, or appropriate on public roadways with the power of modern vehicles - especially in the city. Highway entrance ramps are more than adequate for the slowest cars to get up to a safe speed before merging into traffic.
Hahaha NOT in the Northeast!! :D Merging onto the Merritt Parkway in CT is by STOPPING with a stop sign at the entrances. Average cruising speed is 70mph on it, and the roads are narrow as heck with no shoulders in some areas.

ne0guri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 White Orchid Pearl Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
I'm not even sure how meaningful those numbers. ;)

2017 Ridgeline AWD 0-60

minimal amounts of fuel? Does less gas in the tank make the car faster due to weight?? I am learning so many things since I've joined this forum that I would have never even thought about in the past!
Sponsored