2017 Si Cooler fan issues...

GAT305

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR Crystal Black
Country flag
Hello all! I have been following these forums for sometime now and finally became a member. It's been a week with my 2017 Si Coupe however after a couple days car battery all of a sudden was dead in the morning. I was able to jump start the car and clear out the normal errors after driving. Unfortunately, I noticed fan turned on about 5 minutes or so after engine was shut off. Fan continued to run until draining the battery again. I can remove the fuse and that fixes the problem of the battery drain however even after ecu reset and 8 plus hours of the car sitting engine off and cooled down when I put the fuse back in that fan immediately begins to run with the car off. Dropped the car off at the dealership to get looked at tomorrow while getting some accessories installed. I pretty much think the battery dying caused some short of short related to the cooler/radiator fan. Will update post on outcome once I hear back from dealership but just wondering if anyone here has come across an issue like this.
Sponsored

H23civic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic si
Country flag
Hello all! I have been following these forums for sometime now and finally became a member. It's been a week with my 2017 Si Coupe however after a couple days car battery all of a sudden was dead in the morning. I was able to jump start the car and clear out the normal errors after driving. Unfortunately, I noticed fan turned on about 5 minutes or so after engine was shut off. Fan continued to run until draining the battery again. I can remove the fuse and that fixes the problem of the battery drain however even after ecu reset and 8 plus hours of the car sitting engine off and cooled down when I put the fuse back in that fan immediately begins to run with the car off. Dropped the car off at the dealership to get looked at tomorrow while getting some accessories installed. I pretty much think the battery dying caused some short of short related to the cooler/radiator fan. Will update post on outcome once I hear back from dealership but just wondering if anyone here has come across an issue like this.
The cooling fan constantly running means the vehicle is in failsafe mode. Some sort of hard fault stored in the ecm. Odd tho, maybe some sort of grounding issue. Hopefully it's nothing major tho. That sucks you're without your new car already. Hope it's resolved soon.

OP
OP
GAT305

GAT305

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR Crystal Black
Country flag
The cooling fan constantly running means the vehicle is in failsafe mode. Some sort of hard fault stored in the ecm. Odd tho, maybe some sort of grounding issue. Hopefully it's nothing major tho. That sucks you're without your new car already. Hope it's resolved soon.
Im hoping its nothing major either. I feel like the battery dying and or having to jump the car created the issue. Hopefully will have an update tomorrow afternoon and crossing my fingers they can fix it and put some pics up too of the ride since im getting the front and side exterior stuff added on.

H23civic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic si
Country flag
Im hoping its nothing major either. I feel like the battery dying and or having to jump the car created the issue. Hopefully will have an update tomorrow afternoon and crossing my fingers they can fix it and put some pics up too of the ride since im getting the front and side exterior stuff added on.
Good luck. Hopefully it was just some sort of freak incident and not a potential recall.

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MX-5 Miata GT-S, 2021 Ridgeline RTL-E
Country flag
No such failures in mine during the first 600 miles so far. Sounds like you might have a stuck fan relay or defective battery. Modern Hondas can do weird things due to battery issues even when the battery seems fine.

OP
OP
GAT305

GAT305

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR Crystal Black
Country flag
Update: apparently cooler fan issue was caused by a bad ecm... which i found odd but got car back today and everything is working fine with no issues.

Some pics of car after exterior front and side accessories installed.
Honda Civic 10th gen 2017 Si Cooler fan issues... 20170613_190958[1]
Honda Civic 10th gen 2017 Si Cooler fan issues... 20170613_190741[1]
Honda Civic 10th gen 2017 Si Cooler fan issues... 20170613_190819[1]
Honda Civic 10th gen 2017 Si Cooler fan issues... 20170613_190844[1]
Honda Civic 10th gen 2017 Si Cooler fan issues... 20170613_190858[1]
Honda Civic 10th gen 2017 Si Cooler fan issues... 20170613_191545[1]

zx2down

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Altima 2.5 S
Looks nice. I think I'd have to paint the lip another color though.

ne0guri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 White Orchid Pearl Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Update: apparently cooler fan issue was caused by a bad ecm... which i found odd but got car back today and everything is working fine with no issues.

20170613_190958[1].jpg
20170613_190741[1].jpg
20170613_190819[1].jpg
20170613_190844[1].jpg
20170613_190858[1].jpg
20170613_191545[1].jpg
JDM badges look nice :thumbsup:

dmitri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si sedan
Country flag

Glad to hear the fan thing worked out; thanks for the update.

Man that lip looks good on white! Now you just need to lose the dealer frame up front and get one of them specialty licence plates to not stand out as much as that blue temp one does.

Or, if you can't find a good color match, then at least get a cool-looking one... :)

Honda Civic 10th gen 2017 Si Cooler fan issues... panther

SkyeHack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si Sedan
Country flag

Why do you have the front license plate installed if your located in Florida? (only rear required)

OP
OP
GAT305

GAT305

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR Crystal Black
Country flag
Glad to hear the fan thing worked out; thanks for the update.

Man that lip looks good on white! Now you just need to lose the dealer frame up front and get one of them specialty licence plates to not stand out as much as that blue temp one does.

Or, if you can't find a good color match, then at least get a cool-looking one... :)

Honda Civic 10th gen 2017 Si Cooler fan issues... panther
Got one on order already going with a nice plate with the logo from my fav/home nba team should be in this week.

OP
OP
GAT305

GAT305

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR Crystal Black
Country flag
Why do you have the front license plate installed if your located in Florida? (only rear required)
Im on military orders so im currently in Texas got a month left here here till I come back home. I saw the car once it came off truck and told the dealership not to put the damn thing on but someone in the shop must have screwed up :mad:. Didnt make a big deal about it will have to just deal with it so I ordered a better looking license plate for the front so I can tolerate it more smh.

Last edited:

SkyeHack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Im on military orders so im currently in Texas got a month left here here till I come back home. I saw the car once it came off truck and told the dealership not to put the damn thing on but someone in the shop must have screwed up :mad:. Didnt make a big deal about it will have to just deal with it so I ordered a better looking license plate so I can tolerate it more smh.
For future reference, you can register your car through the mail with the Florida DMV. I'm military too and bought a car in California and drove with the Cali temp tags until my Florida plate came in the mail. All you need is:

1) HSMV 82040 (2. CA License Plate Number)
2) MILITARY INSURANCE EXEMPTION INFORMATION
3) HSMV 82002 (Title #)
4) HSMV 83140 (Make Check for $173.75)
6) HSMV 83330
7) Military Affidavit Florida Sales Tax Exemption
OMIT 8) HSMV 83043 (License Plate #, Title #, Decal #)

1a) Miltary PCS Orders
2a) Contact Information
3a) Cash Receipt
4a) Miltary ID + Florida Driver's License
5a) Lien Holder
6a) Proof of Insurance
7a) Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin and Dealer's Report of Sale Form

I have all my vehicles registered in Florida so I don't have to deal with other state inspection/emission laws and I am free to modify my car how I see fit.
Sponsored