2017 Honda Civic Si Prototype Debut - Q&A, Photos, Video

firsthonda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
g6
My whole thing is if they are saying the ext is underrated and already 190 HP and torque then the si will no doubt be 225 plus and 225 torque. which spanks last generation. just give me an automatic with paddle shifter and for the si haters on automatic call mine S not Si
Sponsored

nabusa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura TL Type S, Acura RLX
This little 1.5L turbo motor once modified will still be more reliable then a STI and faster. 1.5L isn't that big of a deal, there are plenty of D16 turbo civics with 400hp on the road.

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
The motor is pretty stout. But it's going to require some hard parts to get to 300 HP reliably. Bigger turbo, intake/IC, exhaust, and possibly fueling. The injectors are rated well above 2K PSI, IIRC. But I'm not sure how much more headroom is in the HPFP.

canadasiguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
You're ignoring decades of aftermarket success if that's what you believe. When modified stock block R18's and D16's are pumping out in excess of 400 horsepower at the wheels it makes your argument bunk. Not to mention the L15 has more potential than either of the aforementioned SOHC motors.

http://blog.vittuned.com/andress-turbo-honda-civic-r18/

Built > Bought

All. Day. Long.
If I want 435HP, I will buy a muscle car. It's is laughable to try and turn an economical grocery getter into a 400hp car...

canadasiguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
At w
The motor is pretty stout. But it's going to require some hard parts to get to 300 HP reliably. Bigger turbo, intake/IC, exhaust, and possibly fueling. The injectors are rated well above 2K PSI, IIRC. But I'm not sure how much more headroom is in the HPFP.
hich point then, why buy an SI? Buy a car you want to enjoy...not destroy

Ghost Ryder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1989 Honda CRX Si
Oh, man! I had written all this response to the likes of Ghost Ryder, only to find out you said it so much better. ;)

If they are ready to give up on this Si (or Honda for that matter) without knowing how Honda made the 1.5T work or without driving it, what kind of driving experiences are they after? If being wowed by the numbers is what excites them about cars, then perhaps they were ready to move on a long time ago. And, I was going to say that was okay because we all have different preferences. :yes:
Funny- you never know the weight of words. I have to give thanks for these comments. I was actually somewhat caught off guard by the truth behind them.

I am, and always will be a Honda fan. Very appreciative of the engineering efforts behind every platform. The new Type R, the Civic Si, heck even the CRZ was an excellent aesthetically designed car.

But the bottom line is I just bought 365 whp in a 2011 Impreza Sti Hatch. While I still enjoy my 89'CRX daily, I would be more than happy to nod across an intersection at a Type R from my Subie.

Thanks for the epiphany.;)

canadasiguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Depends on end game. Not everyone wants all-out performance. Nor are they satisfied with the status quo.
http://www.civicx.com/threads/buyers-guide-should-i-buy-an-si-or-type-r.5243/
So, because somebody who has never driven the not yet released SI or Type R writes a guide based on conjecture and speculation...we acccept that as hard facts?

Everything up to this point is speculation but one thing is clear...the new SI is still underpowered.

I'm sorry but 300 reliable HP is a pipe dream.

People that want 300 HP out of an SI should be looking at buying a different vehicle.

And people that expect a Type R to grip better than an AWD Golf R or STI should be looking at a different car as well.

And as for 3 door SI's and an SI sedan....render all you want but they are not being made and all those renders are just a pipe dream as well.

Honda has lost it's performance edge and it's laughable to see what they think is enough to compete

LoveToDrive

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 LX MT, 2015 Si (RIP)
Funny- you never know the weight of words. I have to give thanks for these comments. I was actually somewhat caught off guard by the truth behind them.

I am, and always will be a Honda fan. Very appreciative of the engineering efforts behind every platform. The new Type R, the Civic Si, heck even the CRZ was an excellent aesthetically designed car.

But the bottom line is I just bought 365 whp in a 2011 Impreza Sti Hatch. While I still enjoy my 89'CRX daily, I would be more than happy to nod across an intersection at a Type R from my Subie.

Thanks for the epiphany.;)
Congrats on your STI! :thumbsup: And, I will be smiling for you as you whiz by me! You have successfully found a car that is right for you. My feeling is that, in the end, we are all car enthusiasts, and bashing (vs. constructive criticism) on the characteristics of any car doesn't help us share our love and enthusiasm for these amazing machines. :)