2017 Honda Civic Si Prototype Debut - Q&A, Photos, Video

canadasiguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Don't forget 1.5 has an iron sleeved block, so it should be able to take much more boost than what the tiny stock turbo puts out. Only limitation I see is with the fuel system. There is nothing currently available to upgrade it. However I'd bet 300 whp is obtainable with stock internals after a turbo upgrade + supporting mods.
Once again, more pipe dreams. If you want 300HP...buy a Type R....can't wait to see how many engines get blown and $$$ wasted turning a 1.5T into a mess....good luck
Sponsored

canadasiguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Thanks for proving my point. I was using his quote about German finish and refinement. Focus RS, Golf R and future CTR are all built in Europe, much higher standards than Mexico. Or are you gonna tell me that is incorrect.

Yeah the engineering might be done in Germany but going from German to Spanish I'm sure something's just don't translate as well. Try driving the GTI compared to you Golf R finish is night and day different.
Lol

canadasiguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I think you are making a lot of presumptions. "Fit and finish of a German car," in my experience as both an owner and a mechanic, Japanese cars have always been better sorted. And saying that Honda doesn't know squat about turbos compared to VW and Subie is an ignorant statement to put it politely. Subaru uses Garrett turbos in most applications, Honda fabricates their own in house. Not to mention the current gen STI engine is a dinosaur and down on power. You are entitled to opinions but you just sound petty and uniformed.
Being a mechanic DOES NOT guarantee you are an expert on the SI...sounds like you are being boisterous and uniformed

A2typeR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si sedan (TSP stage 1) 2016 Mazda Miata Club (Brembo BBS pack)
Country flag
No you don't....need to see it was a general statement...don't take anything too literally.

FYI.....the definition of irony-your Fiesta is made in Mexico....will be LMFAO all day
Hence why I don't like cars made in Mexico, thin rattles like a tin can and the fit and finish is horrible.

Also something is wrong with the climate control, it has cold and hot no in between. Maybe a bad sensor or something.

That said it's still fun to drive always leaves a smile on my face.

It's also a lease so I'm not buying it. Glad you it gave you a good laugh.

Last edited:

Shralper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Acura RSX Type S
Country flag
That's right! ...or even an STI, GTI, mustang....whatever.
The WRX, GTI, as well as the Focus ST, are all in the same price range and target market as the Si! That's why Honda blew it.

The WRX was a game changer in the early 2000's. When the competition makes their cars better, quicker and faster, you are supposed to keep up with it...not leave your car in No Man's Land.

I've driven nothing but Hondas/Acuras for the last 30 years. Before that I drove a VW Rabbit. I figured hell would freeze over before I would ever consider an American car. Yet I just came across a deal on a new 2016 Focus ST that's hard to refuse...nearly $6000 off MSRP! Barely a hair over $20K. I took it for a test drive yesterday and had a blast.

Hell will likely freeze over this week ;) At least for me.

I hope you're listening, Honda.

Last edited:

DarkLight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic-2016 LX 6MT
Country flag
Once again, more pipe dreams. If you want 300HP...buy a Type R....can't wait to see how many engines get blown and $$$ wasted turning a 1.5T into a mess....good luck
You're ignoring decades of aftermarket success if that's what you believe. When modified stock block R18's and D16's are pumping out in excess of 400 horsepower at the wheels it makes your argument bunk. Not to mention the L15 has more potential than either of the aforementioned SOHC motors.

http://blog.vittuned.com/andress-turbo-honda-civic-r18/

Built > Bought

All. Day. Long.

Leetcivx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Si
Country flag
The WRX, GTI, as well as the Focus ST, are all in the same price range and target market as the Si! That's why Honda blew it.

The WRX was a game changer in the early 2000's. When the competition makes their cars better, quicker and faster, you are supposed to keep up with it...not leave your car in No Man's Land.

I've driven nothing but Hondas/Acuras for the last 30 years. Before that I drove a VW Rabbit. I figured hell would freeze over before I would ever consider an American car. Yet I just came across a deal on a new 2016 Focus ST that's hard to refuse...nearly $6000 off MSRP! Barely a hair over $20K. I took it for a test drive yesterday and had a blast.

Hell will likely freeze over this week ;) At least for me.

I hope you're listening, Honda.

I understand the point you are making and mostly agree, but i think you mean to replace STI with WRX. The STI is closer to golf R, Focus RS, Civic Type R.

Last edited:

Stock_07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX
This is the only thing that sucks about the 1.5. The 2.4 in the si i had you could beat on non stop and still ran great with no oil burning. I don't know if that could be said for the new si. The ex-t turbo is already pushing 16.5 psi boost.

Xyrex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'86 Honda Prelude
Being a mechanic DOES NOT guarantee you are an expert on the SI...sounds like you are being boisterous and uniformed
Apologies, not my intention. However I'm unsure of what your argument is. I agree a 300hp 1.5 is asking for enjne failure, but I'm not sure what point you're trying to make.

17siturb0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic si sedan, 2006 civic si coupe
This 1.5t will not be able to make 300hp with basic bolt ons. You'll need a turbo upgrade for that. But the one thing I can assure you, is that you can get close to 300hp. And no the car won't fall apart. If you use quality parts and install them properly and get a proper tune.. (Cough Vit) then you'll be completely fine. Another nice thing about this engine is torque, which makes it feel fast. This engine will pass 300tq with bolt ons and a nice tune easy. Using 93 octane of course, and when they can fabricate a new fuel system for e85 who knows what this car can achieve. Don't be to quick to hate on it.
Sponsored