2017 Honda Civic Si Prototype Debut - Q&A, Photos, Video

Eddie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R 2014 Pilot 08 Mugen Si
Country flag
For those of you disappointed by the engine size, just keep in mind some of the factors Honda probably had to consider when making the decision:

1. Will the Si cannibalize on Type R sales?

2. If the 2.0L engine is used the cost will go up, potentially making the car unaffordable to the target market, and might prevent it from competing against certain cars like the Veloster Turbo, for example.

3. The 1.5L motor is extremely robust and capable of 300 hp (durability tested to this amount, so we've heard). Same goes for the manual transmission. There is more than enough headroom for the Si to use that motor. Even if the Si only has about 215 hp it will still feel quite a bit faster than the previous generation one, due to the huge swell of torque the turbo motor generates. We just purchased a 1.5T manual transmission sedan and I can tell you it feels quick, even though it is only rated at around 174 hp.
300HP? out of the 1.5T? no shit?

Kokuryu2016

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Coupe, 2016 HRV
Vehicle Showcase
Very underwhelmed and disappointed at this half assed Si. I'm glad I didn't wait, this is a waste of time and a joke with that 1.5.

I'm sure you will have plenty of people buying this supped up EX-T Honda but you really screwed the Si fans with this.

LoveToDrive

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 LX MT, 2015 Si (RIP)
I like the affordability part of 1.5T. Sure, competition is good, but if Honda gives me a well-built, very sporty, fun car to drive at a similar price point as the 9th gen (or cheaper than the competition), I can actually pay for it. For me, it doesn't have to be the best of the best. :)

Last edited:

Browncoat3000

Red 5 standing by
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si, Odyssey EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Well, a couple of indirect takeaways:

"Fastest Si ever" means this will be under 6.0, and likely close to 5.5. That's based on reported previous Si times, the lowest stock number I could find was 5.9.

This implies that the CTR will be under 5.0, the current CTR is showing 4.9-5.4, which may be a metric issue.

I'm happy with both of those. :thumbsup:

"Lighter and stiffer" begs the question; compared to what? The previous Si, or the current Coupe?

Kokuryu2016

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
For those of you disappointed by the engine size, just keep in mind some of the factors Honda probably had to consider when making the decision:

1. Will the Si cannibalize on Type R sales?

2. If the 2.0L engine is used the cost will go up, potentially making the car unaffordable to the target market, and might prevent it from competing against certain cars like the Veloster Turbo, for example.

3. The 1.5L motor is extremely robust and capable of 300 hp (durability tested to this amount, so we've heard). Same goes for the manual transmission. There is more than enough headroom for the Si to use that motor. Even if the Si only has about 215 hp it will still feel quite a bit faster than the previous generation one, due to the huge swell of torque the turbo motor generates. We just purchased a 1.5T manual transmission sedan and I can tell you it feels quick, even though it is only rated at around 174 hp.
Don't care, this is a poor excuse for an Si. Had to call my dealership to tell them to take me off their call list for these as I no longer care when they come in. If I choose to upgrade I will simply do type R or sport touring at this point, but that is a big if. In the presentation they implied that the type R will be an unattainable halo car so I doubt they have plans to make them available in any kind of numbers.

nathanzachary

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si, 2004 Integra Type-R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
"Unveiling the 2017 Civic Si" actually just equated to "Go buy that EX-T in a 6MT and be done with it".

Glad I waited... o_O

DavidJBrooks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Honda Accord Sedan 6-6, 2008 Honda Pilot
Country flag
Don't care, this is a poor excuse for an Si. Had to call my dealership to tell them to take me off their call list for these as I no longer care when they come in. If I choose to upgrade I will simply do type R or sport touring at this point, but that is a big if. In the presentation they implied that the type R will be an unattainable halo car so I doubt they have plans to make them available in any kind of numbers.
You've got plenty of time to change your mind - seems like, even though the car is production ready, they won't be on lots for 3+ months.

Kokuryu2016

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
You've got plenty of time to change your mind - seems like, even though the car is production ready, they won't be on lots for 3+ months.
No, this is not what I expected at all. I won't waste my time with buying one. If Honda wants to sell these and make them fly off the lot they will have to actually make the enthusiasts that this is supposed to be aimed at happy. I have many friends who tune honda's as well and they all felt the same when we were talking earlier today. Nobody is interested if it is a 1.5 in my group of Honda loving civic owners.

Newflyer3

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
You people have to realize that the whole tuner crowd audience officially doesn't exist internally at Honda. So if they give you the 2.0 which would make modification a viable platform where you could get cheap horsespower, you wouldn't bother with the Type R.

At Honda, they have a HP figure, a fuel economy number, and a cost to meet to make the Si worth their time. If it makes over 205 HP, gets similar gas mileage and is at an attractive price point, this Si is better than the last and that's objectively all that matters to them. Can't muster 300 HP after mods and a tune on the 1.5T? Honda doesn't care because the demographic doesn't officially exist. When was the last time you saw Honda officially acknowledging and promoting the whole tuner crowd? Never.

Newflyer3

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
No, this is not what I expected at all. I won't waste my time with buying one. If Honda wants to sell these and make them fly off the lot they will have to actually make the enthusiasts that this is supposed to be aimed at happy. I have many friends who tune honda's as well and they all felt the same when we were talking earlier today. Nobody is interested if it is a 1.5 in my group of Honda loving civic owners.
See? You have friends who tune Hondas. Honda doesn't talk about or acknowledge you tuners. In real life, I've see 99 bone stock Si's for every modded vehicle.