2017 Honda Civic Si Development Inspiration

erbee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Nissan Altima, 2004 BMW M3
Country flag

I think Honda is gonna fail on sales on this Si. Having a factory tuned EX-T engine with a body kit and a type-r on top ? Not saying it's bad for Honda imports CTR here but It's gonna be awkward to market Si IMO.
Sponsored

Last edited:

joe007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Integra
Country flag
Well if the CTR is $10K more than the Si (looks like it will be at least that, given dealer markup) and the CTR is basically unobtainable (2 cars per dealer per year?!?) then I can see a lot of people settling for the Si. Just gotta get the red emblem and a JDM Type-R badge, 99% of people will think you have a CTR.

AP2SLOW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si (Daily). 2006 NFR S2000 (Weekend Racer). 1992 Integra (SOLD). 2005 RSX Type-S (SOLD). 2002 Civic (SOLD)
The hype is reeaaal! I can't wait :D

CIVICSPORT

Doctor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
That was pretty good actually. I think the Si looks great. Glad to see some talk/marketing from Honda finally.

dmitri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si sedan
Country flag
I think Honda is gonna fail on sales on this Si. Having a factory tuned EX-T engine with a body kit and a type-r on top ? Not saying it's bad for Honda imports CTR here but It's gonna be awkward to market Si IMO.
Well, it's gonna have a bit more than "a body kit" over the EX-T -- LSD, adaptive suspension, etc. But more importantly, it's positioned quite strategically and with purpose for the US market I think, given how few MT-based versions exist in the lineup and how limited they are. You can't even find a trim with MT and Android Auto in the US, if I'm not mistaken. Yes, the numbers of MT addicts may be getting lower as the years go by, and the electric vehicles continue to claim an increasingly-larger stake in the automotive future, but i think there are plenty of us still left out there. :) I know I'm getting one; it actually hits just the sweet spot which their MT-lacking lineup has (intentionally) created.

Thanks for posting the video.

Last edited:

thaseint

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 VW GTI SE
Country flag
The Si is basically going to be a modified Sport hatchback trim but in Sedan/Coupe form. It'll have a bump in power and some additional features but it's shaping up to be pretty "meh".

Really hard to get hyped about the Si with the CTR around the corner. As others have said, most buyers will be people that wanted a CTR but had to settle for the Si. Personally, I want a hot hatch, don't want a sedan/coupe, the 6MT Sport is too spartan for me so that only leaves the CTR.

I mean the Si is going to be priced similarly to the WRX, ST, GTI and possibly even the Hyundai i30 N...all of which are likely to offer better performance (and tuning/upgrade potential) with similar creature comforts. That's been the case for the last couple generations of the Si. The only thing going for it is the Honda badge.

CIVICSPORT

Doctor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
The Si is basically going to be a modified Sport hatchback trim but in Sedan/Coupe form. It'll have a bump in power and some additional features but it's shaping up to be pretty "meh".

Really hard to get hyped about the Si with the CTR around the corner. As others have said, most buyers will be people that wanted a CTR but had to settle for the Si. Personally, I want a hot hatch, don't want a sedan/coupe, the 6MT Sport is too spartan for me so that only leaves the CTR.

I mean the Si is going to be priced similarly to the WRX, ST, GTI and possibly even the Hyundai i30 N...all of which are likely to offer better performance (and tuning/upgrade potential) with similar creature comforts. That's been the case for the last couple generations of the Si. The only thing going for it is the Honda badge.
Its 2017, they needed to offer the Si with Acura's Twin Clutch 8-speed Automatic as well IMO. I am a huge 6MT fan, but still. Same goes for the Focus ST and RS .. I'd really like to see something other than 6MT.

This Si will be alright but nothing crazy, and the Type R will be hard to get. It all adds up to a bit of a mess on Honda's part... but the bean counters thought it all made sense.

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
I'm in a "wait and see" mode for now.

There are quite a few of us on here that want an engaging and reliable platform without the boy racer persona. The Si will probably end up striking the right balance of performance and practicality for most buyers. But true, many would-be CTR buyers will end up settling for the Si.

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
I'll also add that if Honda can wrangle 220+ out of this car, it should sell just fine. A little more refinement than the base ST or WRX. And a few extra features over the base GTI.

OP
OP
erbee

erbee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Nissan Altima, 2004 BMW M3
Country flag
I'm in a "wait and see" mode for now.

There are quite a few of us on here that want an engaging and reliable platform without the boy racer persona. The Si will probably end up striking the right balance of performance and practicality for most buyers. But true, many would-be CTR buyers will end up settling for the Si.

As of today. 200+ hp cars are everywhere. 26k+ for a FWD with a little over 200hp is overpriced imo. Even I'm a potential buyer for CTR I'm still skeptical about that 306hp while my 13 year old m3 has 333 stock. Settling on Si? might as well get a low mile last gen and turbo it . Just my 2 cents.

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
26k+ for a FWD with a little over 200hp is overpriced imo.
I don't think the Si will be remotely close to 26K. 23.5-24.5K, based on historical pricing over its EX equivalent.

While I agree that HP sells these type of cars, VW has always made a killing on the modest 210 HP base GTI. And up until the diesel fiasco, they had no problem selling with minimal discounts.

There are buyers out there looking for balance over performance.

zrwizard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Hatchback Sport,2016 CRV SE, 2014 Mustang, 2011 Mustang, 2010 Civic LX-
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Love it, looks great!

Ethan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Mazda 3 GT 6 speed
If the Sport Hatch is any indication, it's going to be a fantastic drive likely on par with the GTI... I'm hoping.

If you're like me and will likely never try to tune the engine for more power, the 1.5 should be good enough. Problem is there are so many good options these days that if Honda prices the Si higher than $25,000 it will be DOA IMO.
Sponsored