2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport CVT Paddle Shifter Tips

Enigma

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport CVT w/ HS
Hello all,

I'm new to the forums and this is my first post!

I'm new to the whole paddle shifters and am not quite sure how to use them and when to shift (pretty much ignorant to this). If I want to get the best out of the speed whats the best way to do this using the paddles? And whats the best way to use them in D mode and get the most out of fuel?

Thanks everyone and sorry for my ignorance haha
Sponsored

CombsCivicHatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
Coming from a manual transmission it was a weird learning curve for me.

I hardly use the paddle shifters now. The only time I seem to use them is when I'm first in line at a red light and when I'm getting on the highway. I just drop it in S and hit the shifter to put it in first then gun it until I get to my desired speed.

_dc_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If you want the fastest acceleration from a stop, leave it in S auto mode. Don't use the fake shift paddles, it'll just slow you down.

And if you want the best fuel economy, leave it in D. Don't even use ECON, just drive like a granny in D.

tsupersonic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Hatchback EX-L, '17 Forester XT
Country flag
Heh, I find it funny when manufacturers pair a CVT with paddle shifters. I mean it makes sense when a traditional automatic/DCT have paddles, but a CVT?

BarracksSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Sport Touring Hatch; '17 CR-V EX. Formerly '02 EP3.
Country flag
Heh, I find it funny when manufacturers pair a CVT with paddle shifters. I mean it makes sense when a traditional automatic/DCT have paddles, but a CVT?
I think it's simply "because they can".

One of the technical advantages of a CVT is, of course, the ability to keep the engine in its sweet spot regardless of road speed. But for the driver, we're so conditioned to connect the "vroom" noise with acceleration that we still expect to hear it when we're driving faster. Nissan (I think) even addressed this in a commercial about their CVT Altima, where the car was going "rrrrrrrrr" under acceleration and the driver started making, "Vrooom, vroooom," acceleration noises.

Where a regular [non-paddle-shift] automatic falls flat is its inability to predict what the driver wants to do next. The car is more predictable when it's not hunting for a gear in mid-corner, like when you're getting on the highway (as CombsCivicHatch mentioned). If you can tell it to downshift to second or third gear -- and stay there -- when you're at part-throttle, it'll respond more consistently when you're about to exit the corner and get on the gas.

Having virtual "gears" in a CVT fixes the most annoying thing about CVTs, I'd say. And because these "gears" are just in software and not driven by mechanical means (like in a traditional automatic), the transmission can switch to vanilla CVT mode for the rest of the time.

tsupersonic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Hatchback EX-L, '17 Forester XT
Country flag
I think it's simply "because they can".

One of the technical advantages of a CVT is, of course, the ability to keep the engine in its sweet spot regardless of road speed. But for the driver, we're so conditioned to connect the "vroom" noise with acceleration that we still expect to hear it when we're driving faster. Nissan (I think) even addressed this in a commercial about their CVT Altima, where the car was going "rrrrrrrrr" under acceleration and the driver started making, "Vrooom, vroooom," acceleration noises.

Where a regular [non-paddle-shift] automatic falls flat is its inability to predict what the driver wants to do next. The car is more predictable when it's not hunting for a gear in mid-corner, like when you're getting on the highway (as CombsCivicHatch mentioned). If you can tell it to downshift to second or third gear -- and stay there -- when you're at part-throttle, it'll respond more consistently when you're about to exit the corner and get on the gas.

Having virtual "gears" in a CVT fixes the most annoying thing about CVTs, I'd say. And because these "gears" are just in software and not driven by mechanical means (like in a traditional automatic), the transmission can switch to vanilla CVT mode for the rest of the time.
I'd say that a modern automatic in a high performance car (not a Civic) keeps the engine in a sweet spot (especially in sport/track modes). These modern automatic transmissions are far more efficient than that of the 80's/90's, and are super fast to shift (fastest transmissions shift in 8 ms). For the majority of consumers, it probably won't make a difference - we use paddles because like you said, it's there/and can be fun (again high performance cars, not a Civic). If you're an experienced racing driver, then sure, you probably know what gears to be on a race track, and you'd use the paddles to get the best performance.

Outside of the drone factor, there really isn't any advantage of having paddles in a CVT. It's purely fake shifting.

CombsCivicHatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
I agree it's purely fake shifting. It's more of a mental thing with me, it gives me the illusion that I'm in control like I feel like I was all those years I drove a stick. It also is infinitely less soul draining to me to at least have paddle shifters rather than a normal automatic. My mom has an auto xb and I can't stand driving it.

BarracksSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Yeah ^^^ if there's one thing I've always hated about traditional automatics (with no paddle shift or select-a-gear options, that is), it's how I was never able to make it stay in whatever gear I wanted.

I've gotten good at downshifting my manuals when entering a freeway ramp, and I did it with the exit in mind. I wanted to be ready to accelerate out of the ramp so I could merge at speed. Automatics never downshifted until I mashed the throttle, and then they'd have to go stepwise, like 4..wait...3..wait....2 GO!!..., which made it worse because, since the throttle was already pegged, the car would try to leap forward once it hit second gear in mid-corner. Ugh. Just let me start the corner in 2nd and I can roll into the throttle gradually towards the exit.

Whether I have a CVT or slushbox or DCT, I'll always want an option of paddle shifting so I can pick the gear and make the transmission hold it until I'm done. Even better than the days of flicking a floor-mounted gear lever side-to-side.

bembol

SHIFT_
First Name
Rafael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 FK7 Sport Touring, 20 Audi Q3 Progressiv
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Honestly I'm not trying to break records here, winning a 1/4 mile run. LOL

THIS IS ALL JUST FOR FUN.

Base on other forums, it seems like I offended MANUAL drivers. Like how dare you claim you think you're driving standard. LOL

BarracksSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Like how dare you claim you think you're driving standard. LOL
"Standard" still confuses me. ;) I know, it's like "standard vs optional", and "optional" used to mean "automatic" -- but these days you have to ask nicely to get a dealer to get a manual transmission, so it's almost like "optional" actually means "standard" now.

Not as disconcerting as "regular" gas, which they haven't sold in years. It used to have lead in it, so we had "regular or unleaded" gasoline, not this "regular or premium" stuff.

/old man mode

Dfine06

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
I enjoy the paddles. Like someone else said even though it's pretty pointless it's at least a little more "fun" to be able to pick what gears you want to be in. I use mostly for merging onto highways or some fun from a stoplight. Best bet is to drive in just S and not paddle shift when you want to be a little aggressive in the highway. Just regular Drive when you want to get from point a to b

CivicChina

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5t 6MT Cosmic Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
i have a manual Civic but I often drive an automatic SUV with paddles. I use them to downshift before corners or going downhill because i hate feeling the car rolling down like a shopping cart without traction. I would not consider a car that doesn't have the possibility to downshift when I like.

BarracksSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I would not consider a car that doesn't have the possibility to downshift when I like.
+1. This is my primary reason for disliking automatic transmissions. I want the gas pedal to only control the throttle and not be a surrogate for choosing gears (meaning, I don't like to induce an automatic to downshift by putting my foot to the floor every time). I also get tired of an automatic hunting for the right gear when I'm on a hill -- say, 5th is too tall, so the car slows down while I add more gas, then it downshifts to 4th and starts accelerating too much so I let off the gas, then it upshifts again to 5th and starts slowing down again, so I get on the gas again... *FUUUUUUUUU

(I've also begun to wish the paddles were mounted on the steering column instead of the wheel itself, but that's a smaller issue)

gstrek1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
If you want the fastest acceleration from a stop, leave it in S auto mode. Don't use the fake shift paddles, it'll just slow you down.

And if you want the best fuel economy, leave it in D. Don't even use ECON, just drive like a granny in D.
I agree that "S" mode is the option for the best acceleration. I don't use paddle shifters very much at all as I don't see that they are that effective. The only time it makes sense to use the shifters is from a stop, like if you are first at a stop light. Also, its best if the road is fairly straight. Even then, there seems to be no benefit in performance, its just give you something to do if you're bored. :)

sykeoh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Sedan EX-T 6MT
Country flag
I agree that "S" mode is the option for the best acceleration. I don't use paddle shifters very much at all as I don't see that they are that effective. The only time it makes sense to use the shifters is from a stop, like if you are first at a stop light. Also, its best if the road is fairly straight. Even then, there seems to be no benefit in performance, its just give you something to do if you're bored. :)
When I had my '16 Civic EX-T, I have to agree that "S" mode can do most of the work in place of paddle shifters. The biggest practical use I can see for paddle shifters is going to the mountains. When I was in the NC mountains I threw the car into "S" mode and I felt like it downshifted properly as I was going up and down the mountain and utilized more engine braking.

Otherwise the paddle shifters are probably just for fun for the Sport models!
Sponsored