Country flag
Last edited:

DrwMDvs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 WOP Civic Si Sedan, 2000 Honda Civic
Country flag
Thanks for posting. I would have liked to see this motor or an even further de-tuned 1.5T in the standard civic trims to make the future Si seem even more worth it in the power department.

NorthernEX-T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for posting. I would have liked to see this motor or an even further de-tuned 1.5T in the standard civic trims to make the future Si seem even more worth it in the power department.
Exactly, there is nothing wrong with 130 hp in a 2800 lb car.. for basic transportation it would meet 99% of everyone's needs. Who wouldn't want the even better mpg too. I bet Honda is kicking themselves for this.

This is how is should have went IMO

1.0T OR 2.0L for LX DX EX AND hatchback
1.5T Si & Sport Hatchbacks
2.0T CTR.

ACG12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Exactly, there is nothing wrong with 130 hp in a 2800 lb car.. for basic transportation it would meet 99% of everyone's needs. Who wouldn't want the even better mpg too. I bet Honda is kicking themselves for this.
It's not even adequate in the Honda Fit that is 200 pounds lighter. Honda is smart, they know it won't sell in the US, the 3 cylinder ecoboost Focus Hatchback is a perfect example.

OP
OP
HondaPro

HondaPro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EXT Civic & 2017 Civic ExT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Agree, faster you get up to speed the sooner you can slip a manual in neutral and coast. I did that all the time with my 9thgen Si coupe. I was getting 40+ mpg out of an Si.

I wouldn't mind one. I probably spend less than 10 seconds a year with my accelerator floored, but I'd notice the MPG improvement every day of the year.

Last edited:

Manual

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 EX-T 6mt
Country flag
55 mpg uk (combined) is about 40 mpg US EPA. I suspect the 1.5t might beat the 1.0t in high speed (70 mph) highway driving because the 1.5t is able to (mostly) stay out of the turbo.

I don't think the real world mpg difference between the two engines is going to be all that much, unless you're driving easy in a slow speed environment.

/It'll be interesting to see what tow rating the European civics come in with, but that would be another reason they might opt for the 1.5t over the 1.0t. I suspect they (european drivers) are going to pick the 1.5t to replace a lot of their diesels (assuming Honda is/will offer both choices).

Last edited:

NorthernEX-T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
It's not even adequate in the Honda Fit that is 200 pounds lighter. Honda is smart, they know it won't sell in the US, the 3 cylinder ecoboost Focus Hatchback is a perfect example.
Power 127bhp at 5500rpm; Torque 148lb ft at 2250rpm; Gearbox 6-spd manual

"Likewise the new 1.0-litre motor, which dependably fulfills the now familiar tiny three-pot brief. Honda, as its long heritage stipulates, takes the production of no new engine lightly. With no alternative to forced induction now available, the firm has responded by making its mono scroll turbocharger small and light enough not to overtly strangle the VTEC function toiling away elsewhere, and the result keeps any idea of variance in the delivery well distant from the driver. This is a blown triple in its most modern vogue: usable, quick enough, quiet enough and parsimonious by design."

How is that not adequate? This motor makes a lot more power than the 3 cyl focus.

Stock_07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX
This probably will be the new engine in the next Honda fit. This 3cyl has more torque then even my k20. More the adequate. The sentra only has 124hp and people still buy it.

ACG12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Power 127bhp at 5500rpm; Torque 148lb ft at 2250rpm; Gearbox 6-spd manual

How is that not adequate? This motor makes a lot more power than the 3 cyl focus.
It makes the same amount of torque and 4 more horsepower than the Focus 3 cylinder ecoboost. The Focus takes almost 9 and a half seconds to get to 60. Even with the 180 pound weigh difference, the Civic will take right at 9 seconds.

I'll gladly take the 1.5t with a slight mpg hit with a car that can merge much more easily on the highway.

Civics4Ever

Rally Red EXT
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Civic Sedan LX, 17 Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It's nice, but I wouldn't be happy with 127hp.

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
I agree; this car probably wouldn't sell all that well here. Not at that price point at least. A hybrid powertrain like the Prius-C would be more appealing, despite Honda's clear advantage in driving dynamics.

Zavage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic EJ6, FC1, Accord CU1
Country flag
This engine does have real VTEC on the intake side (even it's a DOHC). If i get the chance, i would like to drive a 3 cylinder from Honda. I only drove a KIA and BMW 3 cylinder and they were better than thought.
Sponsored